Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #932 of 5,414
Huh? What do you mean too late? It still says Estimated Availability 7/9. It's not 7/9 yet!

It seems that they were taking pre-orders for the stock coming in 7/9, but they were all claimed very quickly, so they marked it out-of-stock again. At least that was my interpretation of the web page changes.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #933 of 5,414
I don't think Oppo does pre-orders.  It was probably just a website glitch when they updated the page.  No notices went out to those of us who have registered to be informed when the HA-1 comes back into stock.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #934 of 5,414
Yes, the HA-1 going temporarily In Stock was someone jumping the gun. We prefer not opening up orders until we have physically received, inspected, and verified manufacturing quality. The HA-1 is not in stock, but it will likely go into open order status within the next two days.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #935 of 5,414
I like to believe HIFIAudio that this behaviour is normal but agree with
craftyhack that the volume display in relation to the physical volume
knob position could be optimized by firmware.

The algorithm used to convert the absolute analog signal to its digital representation on the front panel is done with only 1-bit of information. It is an approximation, not an absolute, which is why you will see the front panel show some amount of inconsistency in how it performs. This is something we are looking into, but with such a small sample it may not be something that we can enhance through future firmware releases.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #939 of 5,414
Looks like this is coming back in stock on 7/9! I'll be ordering right away.

Quick question: Can anyone recommend a dust cover for this unit? I'll be keeping it under the bed, where I get a ton of dust bunnies.i want to make sure it's protected and clean when not in use!

Curious why you'd keep HA-1 under your bed. Still, thinking about your question...

I would put it on a 1 to 2 inch platform to elevate the underside vents off the floor. I would make a cloth bag large enough to place under the platform and fully encase the HA-1. The top of the bag would have a drawstring to pull it together and close at the top when not in use. To use HA-1, simply open the bag by loosening the drawstring and fold it down to fully expose the amp's top and bottom vents. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #940 of 5,414

Curious why you'd keep HA-1 under your bed. Still, thinking about your question...

I would put it on a 1 to 2 inch platform to elevate the underside vents off the floor. I would make a cloth bag large enough to place under the platform and fully encase the HA-1. The top of the bag would have a drawstring to pull it together and close at the top when not in use. To use HA-1, simply open the bag by loosening the drawstring and fold it down to fully expose the amp's top and bottom vents. 

Hmmm, I wonder if Crown Royal makes a bag that big... would need to be a rather odd shaped gallon at least...

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #941 of 5,414
Has anyone heard if there will be any way to run custom firmwares, or have the option to customize the existing one? With the big beautiful display I feel like there's definitely the opportunity for creative vitalizers and color schemes (I want that McIntosh glow mmm).

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #942 of 5,414

Well, all the listening I do at home is in bed at night. With the kids running around downstairs in the living room, I am limited to how much time I can spend with my home system (which I love). This unit is too big to put on top of my dresser at my bedside, and would probably encourage little hands to play with it, so under the bed is the best option.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #943 of 5,414
  Has anyone heard if there will be any way to run custom firmwares, or have the option to customize the existing one? With the big beautiful display I feel like there's definitely the opportunity for creative vitalizers and color schemes (I want that McIntosh glow mmm).

The HA-1 has limited processing/memory, not possible.    IMHO what it does now (status/spectrum/meters) is more then I originally expected.   Besides just run those visualizers on your mac while using a HA-1 connected aptX or USB DAC.
smile.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #944 of 5,414
  Well, all the listening I do at home is in bed at night. With the kids running around downstairs in the living room, I am limited to how much time I can spend with my home system (which I love). This unit is too big to put on top of my dresser at my bedside, and would probably encourage little hands to play with it, so under the bed is the best option.

Whatever you end up getting should be soft and not abrasive to the HA-1 finish.  This is one of the reasons you receive a HA-1 in a soft bag when unpacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back