Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #916 of 5,414

That is the mid point or flat point of the precision wire-wound potentiometer range.   Firmware won't do anything.   You not dealing with a linear digital application, this is true analog implementation, and when used with the remote you will always notice a bit of jumping of volume level as displayed when turning the motorized potentiometer in the flat point.

Does this help?

Is this behavior expected to be consistent no matter which direction the volume is being adjusted?  I wouldn't expect a firmware update to address the properties and behavior of an analog/"physical" device, but if there is an issue with the digital display of the current status of the analog physical device as is the case here, then it *could* be a firmware thing I think, I dunno, I have a lot of reading and testing yet to do :).

P.S. by consistent I mean that the "jumping" will be consistent in the flat points (i.e. that going from -12->-12.5 should always have the same size jump), and therefore *potentially* the position of the volume knob should always be consistent with a certain volume setting assuming the physical volume control position is synchronized with the volume level indication.  I am not meaning that the size of the jumps will be consistent across the range of adjustment.  If volume knob position does not correlate to true volume level, then I think having the little value indication hash mark on the volume knob is misleading, it should just be a faceless knob like most of my other gear, THAT could also fix it :D.

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #917 of 5,414
  Is this behavior expected to be consistent no matter which direction the volume is being adjusted?  I wouldn't expect a firmware update to address the properties and behavior of an analog/"physical" device, but if there is an issue with the digital display of the current status of the analog physical device as is the case here, then it *could* be a firmware thing I think, I dunno, I have a lot of reading and testing yet to do :).

P.S. by consistent I mean that the "jumping" will be consistent in the flat points (i.e. that going from -12->-12.5 should always have the same size jump), and therefore *potentially* the position of the volume knob should always be consistent with a certain volume setting assuming the physical volume control position is synchronized with the volume level indication.  I am not meaning that the size of the jumps will be consistent across the range of adjustment.  If volume knob position does not correlate to true volume level, then I think having the little value indication hash mark on the volume knob is misleading, it should just be a faceless knob like most of my other gear, THAT could also fix it :D.

Correct, you would notice this non-consistant .5 step behavior going either up to down in volume at the midpoint (approx -13 db) of the potentiometer as seen on the volume display.

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #918 of 5,414
Looks like this is coming back in stock on 7/9! I'll be ordering right away.

Quick question: Can anyone recommend a dust cover for this unit? I'll be keeping it under the bed, where I get a ton of dust bunnies.i want to make sure it's protected and clean when not in use!

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #919 of 5,414
Thank you all for your replys, that really helped me to calm down my worries.
Especially craftyhack, good work ! 'thumbs up'
Looks like I kicked some things off ...

I like to believe HIFIAudio that this behaviour is normal but agree with
craftyhack that the volume display in relation to the physical volume
knob position could be optimized by firmware.

An official statement from Oppo would be helpful.
I wrote a message to the Oppo-Europe support and will post
the response, if there is any.

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #920 of 5,414
Thank you all for your replys, that really helped me to calm down my worries.
Especially craftyhack, good work ! 'thumbs up'
Looks like I kicked some things off ...

I like to believe HIFIAudio that this behaviour is normal but agree with
craftyhack that the volume display in relation to the physical volume
knob position could be optimized by firmware.

BTW I am one of the HA-1 beta testers, so no there is nothing that can be changed/optimzed by firmware to reduce jumps (volume level) in the narrow flat region of the potentiometer range during mechanical rotation.
smile.gif

PS: a knowledge base addition has been suggested.

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #922 of 5,414
Ooh, that could work. Would it fit? I've never seen the unit in person. Ideally it would just be something that could go over the top, maybe with some elastic around the edges to keep it on tight. Any other thoughts?

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #923 of 5,414
HA-1 is a bit heavy 13 lbs, and needs to fit in a bag that could hold 10.0" x 4.8" x 12.2" (254 x 80 x 333 mm), its that 4.8" high that requires a odd bag IMHO to work.  Anyway a suggestion.
smile.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #924 of 5,414

Quick question: Can anyone recommend a dust cover for this unit? I'll be keeping it under the bed, where I get a ton of dust bunnies.i want to make sure it's protected and clean when not in use!

Hmm, good question, I have the same problem with mine, using one of these helps(http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006HR5F, or http://smile.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW), but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!  I wonder how hard it would be to make one, I would have to use leather I think... just because it feels right :).

Also, HiFiAudio, do you have the connections enough to ask for Oppo to please sell that sweet stand that the HA-1 is displayed on in your post here?  I have the PM-1's with the stand, and having this stand for my HA-1... well that would just complete me :D.  I saw the discussion here about it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/699787/new-oppo-ha-1-ces-2014/90#post_10508568 following your post, but how does one really express demand for Oppo to respond to... a new post with a poll perhaps?  Are they basing demand on sales of the PM-1 stand maybe?  Whatever, I just know I would really like to buy one, please Oppo take more of my $$ :D.

P.S. and then of course would need to make a dust cover that would fit over the whole shebang above.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #926 of 5,414
Originally Posted by craftyhack /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, HiFiAudio, do you have the connections enough to ask for Oppo to please sell that sweet stand that the HA-1 is displayed on in your post here?  I have the PM-1's with the stand, and having this stand for my HA-1... well that would just complete me :D.  I saw the discussion here about it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/699787/new-oppo-ha-1-ces-2014/90#post_10508568 following your post, but how does one really express demand for Oppo to respond to... a new post with a poll perhaps?  Are they basing demand on sales of the PM-1 stand maybe?  Whatever, I just know I would really like to buy one, please Oppo take more of my $$ :D.

P.S. and then of course would need to make a dust cover that would fit over the whole shebang above.

IMHO I think initially they didn't make any available, because they thought the demand for such a item as a HA-1 stand was a lot lower then the PM-1 stand.  Just let them know how bad you want one by email, maybe they will produce a limited batch for the fans.
smile.gif

A dust cover to fit over the HA-1 on a stand, that's original.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #927 of 5,414
  IMHO I think initially they didn't make any available, because they thought the demand for such a item as a HA-1 stand was a lot lower then the PM-1 stand.  Just let them know how bad you want one by email, maybe they will produce a limited batch for the fans.
smile.gif

A dust cover to fit over the HA-1 on a stand, that's original.

Actually, I was thinking of a dust cover that would fit over the PM-1's on their stand while on top of the HA-1 while on it's stand :D.  It would kinda look like a leather wedding cake...

Email on the way...

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #928 of 5,414
Holy smokes, I already got a reply!  OK, again with the "if there is demand", anyone else on this thread want one and willing to spend $150 that can email Oppo telling them so?  I am not sure how many requests are enough to trigger manufacturing, but given the HA-1 has had at least two sell outs that I know of since its release, the odds cannot be too bad, right?

Here is the response:

Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 7:28 PM

We are currently investigating the cost of manufacturing such a stand, as as it stands it will be $150.00 to sell it to our customers. Depending on the actual cost and demand, we may go into actual manufacturing in the future.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #930 of 5,414

You're already too late:

date:     Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 12:11 PM

The page http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HA1 has changed since the previous check.

Changed:
-    July
... into:
+    July 9

Changed:
-                     Out of Stock
... into:
+                     Add to cart

date:     Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 1:15 PM

The page http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HA1 has changed since the previous check.

Changed:

-                     Add to cart
... into:
+                     Out of Stock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back