Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #886 of 5,414
I am, and absolutely, it is on par with the MJOLNIR/GUNGNIR.  I can usually get away with low gain, but depending on the source material and my mood (how loud do I want it?) sometimes I go to high gain.  When in high gain, I cannot make it to "11", but when I try to get close... the sound is absolutely crystal clear with no distortion with an unbelievable punch; it sounds incredible, only problem is my ears start to bleed.

Okay thank you! Good to know because I'm trying to decide between the 3 and the X. But this amp seems like it would be a sufficient pairing with the 3

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #887 of 5,414
Okay thank you! Good to know because I'm trying to decide between the 3 and the X. But this amp seems like it would be a sufficient pairing with the 3

I don't have the X, and I am definitely not saying that the X wouldn't also be a great match!  I have the XC's and they our outstanding with the HA-1 as well, I can't imagine the X would sound badly.  I haven't auditioned the X and don't plan to, I have enough tough choices in life, I am sticking with ignorance on this one :D.

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #888 of 5,414
I can confirm the same heat dissipation of 110...115 (40...45 Deg. C) on my HA-1 unit, air temperature measured about half inch above grill, room temperature 70...77 (22...25 Deg. C). So far I can also confirm, it's a great sounding amplifier that is simple to operate. I use the HA-1 in a "home cinema" setup (HIFI Stereo System) and have my TV set and Apple TV via optical switch (MUX) connected to TOSLINK optical input of the unit. Coaxial digital input is connected to my Squeezebox Touch for streaming Internet Radio and music from my NAS server. Bluetooth pairing with my Apple devices was easy. Mobile input charges my iPod while playing, great! However, I have not tested the Oppo remote control app yet. I use the IR remote. I also have not tested the USB connection to PC and MAC. The HA-1 currently drives my DT931 headphone (cannot affort a HD800 yet).:mad: I especially like the "Bypass Mode" that can be individually activated for any input. It allows me to have the volume of my headphones set independently from the volume of the speakers. Great for watching the Brasil games at night without disturbing my wife's sleep.:) I wish to have a "labeling" feature that would allow me to "rename" the default input names that are displayed on screen. I would also like to individually mute the "Bypass" and "Headphone" outputs. I believe there is only a "Mute All" at this time, correct? Does anyone know the IR codes for the HA-1 (for programming Harmony RC)?

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #889 of 5,414
 Does anyone know the IR codes for the HA-1 (for programming Harmony RC)?

Sorry, I don't, just shoot Oppo CS an e-mail and you'll get a response in a couple of hours. 
smile_phones.gif

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #890 of 5,414
Pardon my ignorance guys, but I was wondering if someone could explain the power output differences between the 1/4 output and the balanced output? Seems pretty large to me and I was wondering why that was...

Thanks.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #892 of 5,414
Pardon my ignorance guys, but I was wondering if someone could explain the power output differences between the 1/4 output and the balanced output? Seems pretty large to me and I was wondering why that was...

Thanks.

Because that's how balanced output works. :D

From Oppo Digital

"Fully Balanced Design – The internal analog audio signal path of the HA-1 is fully balanced. For digital audio, the signal runs in balanced mode all the way from the DAC to the output jacks. Balanced analog input is kept intact, and single-ended input is converted to balanced at the input buffer. All single-ended outputs are derived from the balanced signal as well. The balanced design provides better common-mode noise rejection and improves signal quality. The balanced headphone output provides twice the voltage and four times the power of the single-ended output, enabling the HA-1 to drive the most power hungry headphones. It also provides better channel seperation by eliminating the common ground return path."

I know, not really a technical response. Basically the simple explanation is there are two signals, a hot signal and a cold signal that are out of phase and a ground. When noise is introduced in the signals it will be in an inverse phase when the two signals are realigned and this cancels out the noise (usually), providing a cleaner signal. The benefit is you also get more driving power to your headphones as well.

See this diagram

Do a google search for balanced vs unbalanced headphones for more detailed info.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #893 of 5,414
Could anyone share their impressions of sound quality when used as a pre-amp? I am considering this to replace my DAC/Pre. I really wouldn't use the Head Amp.

Thanks

+1, would love to know this too.

This is a seriously beautiful piece of gear... Problem is, where I am, I'll never be able to get my hands on one easily.
frown.gif

Hopefully more impressions will come in comparing it to other DAC/amps in it's price range, but in terms of features, it's a very attractive package.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #894 of 5,414
If I understand correctly, balanced headphone output on the HA-1 only works with headphones where both cans have separate wires, means 4- pin connection and no common ground, correct? 3-pin wiring with common ground would not work according to page 8 of the HA-1 manual. Therefore, an adapter XLR to quarter-inch will damage the output stage, correct? Thanks for making this clear.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #895 of 5,414
"Fully Balanced Design – The internal analog audio signal path of the HA-1 is fully balanced. For digital audio, the signal runs in balanced mode all the way from the DAC to the output jacks. Balanced analog input is kept intact, and single-ended input is converted to balanced at the input buffer. All single-ended outputs are derived from the balanced signal as well. The balanced design provides better common-mode noise rejection and improves signal quality. The balanced headphone output provides twice the voltage and four times the power of the single-ended output, enabling the HA-1 to drive the most power hungry headphones. It also provides better channel seperation by eliminating the common ground return path."

Very informative! Thanks so much...

How do you like the Oppo with your LCD-2's? I have the Rev2's also and was thinking of trying the Oppo...

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #896 of 5,414
Very informative! Thanks so much...

How do you like the Oppo with your LCD-2's? I have the Rev2's also and was thinking of trying the Oppo...

I like it a lot with the LCD-2 rev2. The trouble is that I picked up a pair of XCs a couple of weeks before the HA-1 and they've been getting most of my head time. So, to remind myself, I just put them on and you know what? I still like them, and the Oppo drives them easily.

With the HA-1 the LCD-2 has a thick sound but you can still pick up on the amp/DAC clarity. I find that the HA-1 is very clear and natural, especially for the price, and it lets the headphones signature come through easily. With the lesser amps and DACs I've used they color or limit the headphones voicing, but with the HA-1 the headphones just sound like the headphones. I hope that makes sense.

With the HA-1 I can easily tell (and prefer) the difference in the speed of the drivers in the XC vs the LCD-2. I recognize this with other amps, but the difference is less pronounced.

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #897 of 5,414

Thanks.

Balanced outputs result in double the voltage amplitude.
All else being equal, power varies by the square of the voltage.
So, double the voltage means four times the power (all else being equal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back