Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #407 of 5,414
I have an HA-1 here, with some PM-1 headphones. As expected, the match is felicitous (bonus points for the SAT word).

There's a lot of horsepower on tap. High-gain drives the daylights out of everything, including a pair of Abyss AB-1266. Wasn't expecting that.

Detail retrieval is very good. Not a surprise with that DAC chipset. 

May 26, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #414 of 5,414
So I had the HA-1 (PM-1) loaner from Oppo Digital Japan (distributor) for over a week and ashamed to say that I've not unboxed it till yesterday when I had a friend pop by to give the Oppo a shot.

Using the HA-1 as a DAC -XLR-> the Eddie Current Electra -> Stax SR-009, it seems to emphasise on the treble range more so than the Invicta (v1.0) despite both being ESS9018's.

We also spent a lot of time comparing whole unit combos :-

Oppo: HA-1 -> Balanced -> PM-1
Stax: Invicta -> Balanced -> Electra -> SR-007Mk1/SR-009

The Oppo setup to my ears had a closed holographic presentation whilst with the Stax it was more open sounding.

I'll spend more time listening to the HA-1 with the PM-1 balanced and unbalanced, and with other headphones tonight. And will try doing HA-1 <-> Invicta comparisons tomorrow night.

May 26, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #415 of 5,414
So I had the HA-1 (PM-1) loaner from Oppo Digital Japan (distributor) for over a week and ashamed to say that I've not unboxed it till yesterday when I had a friend pop by to give the Oppo a shot.

Using the HA-1 as a DAC -XLR-> the Eddie Current Electra -> Stax SR-009, it seems to emphasise on the treble range more so than the Invicta (v1.0) despite both being ESS9018's.

We also spent a lot of time comparing whole unit combos :-

Oppo: HA-1 -> Balanced -> PM-1
Stax: Invicta -> Balanced -> Electra -> SR-007Mk1/SR-009

The Oppo setup to my ears had a closed holographic presentation whilst with the Stax it was more open sounding.

I'll spend more time listening to the HA-1 with the PM-1 balanced and unbalanced, and with other headphones tonight. And will try doing HA-1 <-> Invicta comparisons tomorrow night.

Do you think you're hearing the same thing as Frank l with regard to the hard edge he reported? He mentioned that it went away and the sound opened up after 72 hours. Funny that I didn't hear anything harsh with the XC, but I don't have anything to do a direct comparison at the moment. That, or my ears are starting to fail me! :eek: :D

Edit: haha 300th post! I need a life :p

May 26, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #416 of 5,414
Do you think you're hearing the same thing as Frank l with regard to the hard edge he reported? He mentioned that it went away and the sound opened up after 72 hours. Funny that I didn't hear anything harsh with the XC, but I don't have anything to do a direct comparison at the moment. That, or my ears are starting to fail me!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Maybe I should let it run overnight for a few days. I switch off when I'm not using usually and it's a loaner for another week before I have to pass the Oppo set to Currawong.This unit though was used in the Fujiya Demo for 2 days in early May so I thought it would have had a decent burn in then.

Anyway, no offence to XC fans but I'm not certain how anything could sound harsh on those cans :wink:...to my ears at least. Yesterday's test was a little extreme putting up the HA-1 next to the Invicta and both DACs through the Electra and SR-009. I'll try with my TH-900 cans tonight instead.

May 26, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #417 of 5,414
Maybe I should let it run overnight for a few days. I switch off when I'm not using usually and it's a loaner for another week before I have to pass the Oppo set to Currawong.This unit though was used in the Fujiya Demo for 2 days in early May so I thought it would have had a decent burn in then.

Anyway, no offence to XC fans but I'm not certain how anything could sound harsh on those cans :wink:...to my ears at least. Yesterday's test was a little extreme putting up the HA-1 next to the Invicta and both DACs through the Electra and SR-009. I'll try with my TH-900 cans tonight instead.

I chucked at the XC comment!:wink:

And yeah, give it a fair fight man. Putting it up against a 4K DAC through a 4k amp? :rolleyes: That's a whole different level. Haha!

May 26, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #418 of 5,414
AnakChan, is the unit you have a pre-production unit? I wonder what, if any, changes were made before they released it?

May 26, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #419 of 5,414
AnakChan, is the unit you have a pre-production unit? I wonder what, if any, changes were made before they released it?

Nope it shouldn't be. AFAIK Oppo received the production units just before the Fujiya Show 11th May few weeks back. They just sent one to me after the show.

May 26, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #420 of 5,414
Just ordered mine, going to try it in different combo's with Valhalla, Gungnir, Mjolnar(am I the only one that has to look up the spelling on these every time I type them, even though I own them :/?), and E17/E09K(WTH), with LCD-XC's, Sennheiser HD650's (silver drivers), Ultrasone Pro900's, Sony XB1000's, and for IEMs, Universal Roxanne's, Shure SE500-PTH, and TripleFi 10's, using AK100(MK I), AK240, and computer for sources.  Looking forward to the fun and posting!

Pretty excited!!  Took much willpower not to order the 105D and PM-1's at the same time, some selling must happen first if that is to be... as it is some gear must go if I keep the HA-1 (the AK100 is already on it's way out for sure once the AK240 gets here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back