Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
May 9, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #76 of 5,414
If that's the case, then this is an amp I would seriously consider. Now I just need some impressions pairing it with the XC...

Just got my shipping notice today. I'm sure that many more impressions will be coming in the next week or two depending on shipping times and customs. XC is on the top of my list to pair it with.

Either Oppo produced very few HA-1 units or it's simply a huge success. Sold out within hours is pretty impressive regardless. Can't wait.

May 9, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #77 of 5,414
And besides - why didn't Oppo just put EQ function on in the first place...

The HA-1 is designed to be simple and powerful. Once you start adding in features like EQ, Sound Fields, and other user adjustments, you run the risk of making the product too complicated (which turns off buyers) or has a higher chance of being configured incorrectly (which directly affects customer satisfaction and reliance on tech support for resolving).

...or confirm they will add it through firmware update - I mean - how hard could it be for Oppo just to configure EQ software? Couple of hours?
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

"Under promise; over deliver" and "expect the unexpected". 

There will always be inherent limitations in the hardware/software, so it is best to take suggestions as they come, work on implementing them to the best of your ability, then release the enhancements to the customer.

May 9, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #78 of 5,414
The HA-1 is designed to be simple and powerful. Once you start adding in features like EQ, Sound Fields, and other user adjustments, you run the risk of making the product too complicated (which turns off buyers) or has a higher chance of being configured incorrectly (which directly affects customer satisfaction and reliance on tech support for resolving).

"Under promise; over deliver" and "expect the unexpected". 

There will always be inherent limitations in the hardware/software, so it is best to take suggestions as they come, work on implementing them to the best of your ability, then release the enhancements to the customer.

I feel that simple bass / treble adjustment would be enough for me, and very welcome. If the amp is too warm or analytical for your headphones these simple adjustments can go a long way.

May 9, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #79 of 5,414
Oh most definitely, which is why we are not throwing anything out at the moment. How we intended the HA-1 to be used and actual use habits can be different. And when they are different, we work to the best of our ability to re-align the product to match customer expectations.

May 9, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #81 of 5,414
Newbie questions.

Anyone that have the retail version yet that can answer these?

1. It says the HA-1 is a dac and pre-amp but in the oppo website it only mention the HA can use as a pre-amp to drive the power-amp using the volume controll. How about using HA-1 as a pure dac? Is it possible? because i have a interegrated amplifier and it will bee doubble volume controll? How can i bypass the HA-1 volume control and only use the intergrated amp volume? Would love to use as a pure dac for the speaker system too.

2. It say it is compatiable with idevice through usb but it also mention about mobile device. Can anyone test if it is working with a android mobile or windows mobile? Because Sony Experia Z2 can bypass the intern dac when using usb out from the mobile. Do you think it will work or it is designed  only for apple products?

3. The balanced cable for 126$. Stupid question but i never had a headphone or hifi system before, this is going to be my first so. Does it improve alot compare to the 6,3mm cable, i mean for every headphone and don't necessary to be PM-1? And what does i hear in different from a 6,3mm cable to balanced cable in a headphone in general?

4. Does anyone know the measurment of the shipping box.?

Thanks 

May 9, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #82 of 5,414
  Newbie questions.

1. It says the HA-1 is a dac and pre-amp but in the oppo website it only mention the HA can use as a pre-amp to drive the power-amp using the volume controll. How about using HA-1 as a pure dac? Is it possible? because i have a interegrated amplifier and it will bee doubble volume controll? How can i bypass the HA-1 volume control and only use the intergrated amp volume? Would love to use as a pure dac for the speaker system too.

2. It say it is compatiable with idevice through usb but it also mention about mobile device. Can anyone test if it is working with a android mobile or windows mobile? Because Sony Experia Z2 can bypass the intern dac when using usb out from the mobile. Do you think it will work or it is designed  only for apple products?

3. The balanced cable for 126$. Stupid question but i never had a headphone or hifi system before, this is going to be my first so. Does it improve alot compare to the 6,3mm cable, i mean for every headphone and don't necessary to be PM-1? And what does i hear in different from a 6,3mm cable to balanced cable in a headphone in general?

4. Does anyone know the measurment of the shipping box.?

Thanks 

I'll take a shot at answering your questions:

1.  To use as a pure DAC, you will set the input to "Home Theater Bypass Mode" as described on page 20 of the owners manual. 

2.  Any device bypassing it's internal DAC should work when connected to the rear USB input.

3.  I haven't tried the OPPO balanced headphone cable, but I have used other balanced cables with various setups and find it to be a valuable upgrade.  Additionally, the connection is much more reliable.

4.  19"x7"x15" and 18 lbs.

I hope this helps.

May 9, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #83 of 5,414
^ (to expand on #1 a little...)
You don't need a separate pre-amp. The HA-1 can be used as a pre-amp, with it's output going direct to a power amplifier.
However, you still can use it with a separate pre-amp if you want to. There is a "HT Bypass" mode available so that the HA-1's volume control is bypassed,
and thus you can use the volume of an amp/pre-amp instead, or the volume control of a media device.

May 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #84 of 5,414
Newbie questions.

[snip]

[snip]

I can hear a slight but detectable improvement in bass control and dynamics using the PM-1 on the HA-1's 4-pin XLR jack (2000mW into 32-Ohm) vs. using the 6.3mm TRS jack (500mW into 32-Ohm).

The more efficient your headphones, the less audible will be the sound quality improvements accompanying an increase in the amp's output power (once volume-matched). My less efficient Audeze LCD-2, for example, enjoy a big improvement in bass control and dynamics, going from the HA-1's TRS jack to the 4-pin XLR jack. The LCD-2 actually needs more power than the (est.) 320mW into 50-Ohm offered by the TRS jack. Audeze support recommends a minimum of 1000mW into 50-Ohm for the LCD-2 and on the HA-1's XLR jack, it will see (est.) 1280mW into 50-Ohm.

The PM-1 is far more efficient and thus, in my opinion, sounds nearly as good on 500mW as on 2000mW, but again, though not dramatic, I can hear an improvement, so... I recommend getting the balanced cables.

Another way of looking at it, but completely inconsequential when using very efficient IEMs, for example - you're essentially using only half of the HA-1's amp section when plugging your headphones into the TRS jack.

Also see: http://www.head-fi.org/t/712932/oppo-pm-1-planar-magnetic-headphone-impressions-thread/1665#post_10517128

Mike

May 9, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #85 of 5,414
Why the need for EQ on the HA-1? Anything you're going to connect to it would have the EQ ability. The only people I can imagine wanting an EQ would be those who use an iPod Classic, assuming you like to EQ. Any computer media player you're going to use will have at least a 15 band EQ if not more. I'm not sure I follow as to why we need another way to EQ. I think the HA-1 is perfect with the features it has as it is. As my dad always says, "keep it simple, stupid."

May 9, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #86 of 5,414

Amen.

May I suggest however that Oppo doesn't go the route of some other vendors and charge existing customers for even small firmware upgrades.  I know you're not doing that with your current products but some companies get into the high-end audiophile market and start seeing customers only as dollar signs. 
frown.gif

Love the pricing on this, btw.  Very excited to get my hands on one.

Edit: Damn grammar

May 9, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #87 of 5,414

Amen.

May I suggest however that Oppo doesn't go the route of some other vendors and charge existing customers for even small firmware upgrades.  I know your not doing that with your current products but some companies get into the high-end audiophile market and start seeing customers only as dollar signs. 
frown.gif

Love the pricing on this, btw.  Very excited to get my hands on one.

Oppo has never charged for a firmware/software upgrade, and I don't expect them to at any point.
One of the biggest highlights of their business model, is strong customer, hardware/software and warranty support.

May 9, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #90 of 5,414
Today a few Tokyo HF members and visitors from overseas got invited to Oppo Digital Japan's showroom. We had a brief demo of the HA-1 :-

It's kind of hard to give impressions 'cos everything was new (incl the production PM-1 which had an overnight burn-in only). Some of us will get to properly test this in a more controlled environment after the Fujiya Spring Festival event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back