ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 29, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #16,021 of 16,326
I've had a few days to listen to with my new Granbeat, I can safely say it's got all of the detail & transparency of the original DP-X1, in a far sturdier package & with more functionality.
Bluetooth is as strong as it needs to be for portable purposes.
Sound wise, it's mildly darker than the DP-X1, there's maybe 20% less treble & 20% more bass, mids are the same. If DP-X1 was 65/100 on the brightness scale, with 50 being perfectly neutral, this is 55.

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #16,022 of 16,326
That's a nice looking case.
Is the flap held closed with magnets?
With the Velcro closure offset on the back, if the DP-X1 is laying on a flat surface, is there an issue with the DAP tilting when touching the screen off-center on the front?

EDIT: Since my DP-X1 is rooted, and I've got ES File Explorer installed, I just browse over my network to my PC, and copy/paste music files to the DAP.

The flap is held closed by magnets. If you zoom in you can probably see the slight bumps.

There is no velcro. That closure tab is also held by a magnet. The black bit that you see is is Valentinum's tag. You have to hold it under strong light to read it.

I had not thought about tilting but I am usually holding it in my hand when I touch the screen. You are talking about 2-3mm. If it did bother someone they could put a bit of something under the other corner. If I set it down while not using it, I just lay it on the flat side.

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #16,023 of 16,326
The leather case that I ordered from Valentinum on Etsy arrived last week. It was listed as being for the Pioneer, but fits the Onkyo perfectly. I love that the card slots are protected and of course it is very reassuring to have the flap to protect the screen. It fits beautifully and securely yet is simple to remove if necessary to access the card slots. I normally just leave them in the player if I am just adding a few albums. I don't want to wear out the little springs.

Excellent craftsmanship.

How much is it and do they ship to Canada? I'm contemplating whether to get the Dignis case for my sister, but that runs about $100 CAD. Thought the X1/A's construction is pretty solid and should really need a case or screen protector. I gave on my AK SE100 after seeing the scratches that showed up on the rear and bought a Miter for it

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #16,024 of 16,326
How much is it and do they ship to Canada? I'm contemplating whether to get the Dignis case for my sister, but that runs about $100 CAD. Thought the X1/A's construction is pretty solid and should really need a case or screen protector. I gave on my AK SE100 after seeing the scratches that showed up on the rear and bought a Miter for it

Looks like the Pioneer XDP-100R/300R, Onkyo DP-X1 case from Valentinum is USD$105 - https://www.etsy.com/shop/VALENTINUM/items

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #16,025 of 16,326
Jan 29, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #16,026 of 16,326
EDIT: Since my DP-X1 is rooted, and I've got ES File Explorer installed, I just browse over my network to my PC, and copy/paste music files to the DAP.

Another app to consider is FX File Explorer. I changed from ES File explorer to FX a year or so ago and haven't looked back.
Personal choice, but they are both fine for transferring files over your home network.

Jan 30, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #16,027 of 16,326
I've had a few days to listen to with my new Granbeat, I can safely say it's got all of the detail & transparency of the original DP-X1, in a far sturdier package & with more functionality.
Bluetooth is as strong as it needs to be for portable purposes.
Sound wise, it's mildly darker than the DP-X1, there's maybe 20% less treble & 20% more bass, mids are the same. If DP-X1 was 65/100 on the brightness scale, with 50 being perfectly neutral, this is 55.
Can I ask what Android OS is this running, looking at the specs online it was released with Android 6.0 have they updated this?

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #16,028 of 16,326

You can contact him on the etsy site and he will make to order (Mine was already made and was the only one in that style). You would have to ask how much shipping to Canada is. It is probably different for each country. He ships from the Ukraine.

Looks like the Pioneer XDP-100R/300R, Onkyo DP-X1 case from Valentinum is USD$105 - https://www.etsy.com/shop/VALENTINUM/items

I was surprised to see that price because that one does not even have the flap over the screen. I feel very lucky because mine was $62 including shipping. ($55 for the case plus $7 shipping). I wonder if he would make another for that price.

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #16,029 of 16,326
Can I ask what Android OS is this running, looking at the specs online it was released with Android 6.0 have they updated this?

I'm sure that my DP-X1B (first version) is running a rooted version of Android 5.1.1.
Looking at the downloaded Manuals for both the DP-X1B & DP-X1A (upgraded version) - I see that Android 5.1.1 is listed as the OS.
So, I don't think anyone has ported Android 6.0 - 9.0 to the DP-X1 platform.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #16,031 of 16,326
New to Android, how do I know what android version is installed on my DP-X1A...?

It's shown on the screen: Settings > Device Information

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #16,032 of 16,326
I'm sure that my DP-X1B (first version) is running a rooted version of Android 5.1.1.
Looking at the downloaded Manuals for both the DP-X1B & DP-X1A (upgraded version) - I see that Android 5.1.1 is listed as the OS.
So, I don't think anyone has ported Android 6.0 - 9.0 to the DP-X1 platform.
Thanks for your reply @DBaldock9 but I was asking about the Granbeat OS version it released as 6.0.0 I was wondering if they ever upgraded this to a later version, I guess I should stop being lazy and have a search myself :sweat_smile:

I have had to accept that Onkyo were never going to upgrade my DP-X1 beyond 5.1.1

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #16,033 of 16,326
Thanks for your reply @DBaldock9 but I was asking about the Granbeat OS version it released as 6.0.0 I was wondering if they ever upgraded this to a later version, I guess I should stop being lazy and have a search myself :sweat_smile:

I have had to accept that Onkyo were never going to upgrade my DP-X1 beyond 5.1.1
My DP-X1A is still 5.1.1
(Thanks dbaldock9)

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #16,034 of 16,326
Good morning all.
I am using my DP-X1 more than ever, since I took up the sport of 10m pistol shooting, three hours at the range, lots of music and shooting, almost perfect.
But... the range can get quite busy and noisy. I initially used my Sennheiser ie800's but the trailing cable and X1 in my pocket was interfering with my shooting. I swapped to my Bose Soundsport Bluetooth's and, whilst OK, they were not in the same class as my ie800 (the noise isolation is way down compared and I have to over compensate by increasing the volume).
So I have been thinking about Bluetooth iem's with noise cancellation, such as the Bose QC30. But then I read about Bluetooth receivers such as the FiiO BTR3.
Can anyone recommend a device that does similar to the FiiO but has full-time (or switchable) active noise cancellation? The BTR3, if I understand correctly, only has NC during calls?
To be honest, I think that paired with my ie800's, NC may not be needed, so if there is a receiver with features and sound quality that stands out, I would be happy to consider it.
Your suggestions are welcomed.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back