ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 5, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #15,991 of 16,326
I have been reading quite a few of the older posts. I am glad I found the posts about the variable line out setting that is apparently only on the EU version... to overcome the crazy volume limiting imposed by EU regulations on audio devices. After checking that box, I can now listen with the volume set at 100 or less on medium gain with the buds I was using instead of wanting to push it past 130.

Now I feel ready to try my full sized headphones.

I noticed that a couple of years ago there was a guy in here from the UK that was complaining about the low volume and at that time no one was able to help him so he sold it. Possibly all the users who were trying to help had the non Eu version.

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #15,993 of 16,326
The joys of being in the eu, not. Nanny state.

Sooner the UK is out of the eu the better.

eu is anti freedom

We aren't allowed to discuss these issues in here but if it actually happens there will be disastrous repercussions. Just wait until we have to pay VAT for the headphones etc that we order from Germany for example. Also, personally I do not want to be free of environmental protections, or protections for workers. Do you actually think this government cares about the "common man?" The "freedom" is for the rich to do as they please.

I only mentioned the volume limiting because I wanted people who were not aware of the purpose of the Variable Line Out to understand the issue. The setting is described as being for controlling other devices such as an amp with the volume wheel on the Onkyo. A warning comes up to not use headphones in that mode.... but, it is actually what that mode was added for. Other users have said they do not have that setting... only Fixed line out.

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #15,995 of 16,326
According to the chart on Page 4 of this brochure, the internal ESS DACs apparently top out at 192-KHz/24-Bit, so DSD files are converted to 192-KHz/24-Bit PCM.
However, up to 11.2-MHz Native DSD can be streamed out of the USB port to an external DAC.
https://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/product_info/pdf/dp-x1_leaflet.pdf

My experience with this Onkyo's DSD handling is that it's not even up to the same level as PCM with a desktop DAC; when A/B'ing it this way before with the same song with both formats. Still good enough to make any fairly decent IEM sing with sonic delight, but I just wish there were an affordable DAP that did DSD the native way. Nonetheless my black brick has proven robust and reliable for PCM codecs, pumping out good sound and usually has OK battery life 'to boot' so to speak.

Jan 12, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #15,996 of 16,326
According to the chart on Page 4 of this brochure, the internal ESS DACs apparently top out at 192-KHz/24-Bit, so DSD files are converted to 192-KHz/24-Bit PCM.
However, up to 11.2-MHz Native DSD can be streamed out of the USB port to an external DAC.
.https://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/product_info/pdf/dp-x1_leaflet.pdf

I already owned a Chord Mojo when I bought the DP-X1 and had every intention of using the two together as I had already been a fan of the Mojo music reproduction, with the option of travelling light by using the DP-X1 by itself.

Yep. Super disappointing. I should have researched it beforehand, but found out after I ordered it. It says DSD on the spec sheet. Little * asterisk saying it uses DoP.
:frowning2:
I read the literature too but didn't realise myself, but my main reason for purchase was MQA compatibility out of the box and knowing Tidal had planned to stream MQA, but that took a few years longer than I expected.
All in all I am more than satisfied with my purchase

I have only had my Onkyo for just over two weeks. All this talk about sockets is causing me major worry....even more so after reading posts that the internal connector wears out quickly. If I did not know any of this I would be blissfully happy.

Not all units have experienced problems. I have owned my unit since February 2016 with no issues and I believe I have one of the early models (mine was imported from Japan). I used mine solely until purchasing the Chord Poly to use with the Mojo. DP-X1 used on my commute and used in jacket or trouser pocket without issues.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #15,997 of 16,326
Not off topic.

Volume limiting is an eu Nanny state regulation.

Not off topic

Just have suffer in a Nanny State for 2 more months, then you'll be able to enjoy all the freedom you lost by joining common market.

You are going to be so happy! Just 2 months now, and no more Volume limits. You will be taking back ALL control!

You'll £ will collapse, and Onkyo DP X1 will cost you much more than to rest of us, but that is small price to pay for having Volume Control back! Right now, I imagine Onkyo DP X1 is nearly unusable in UK, am I right? I don't live in UK, just go by what you say. Luckily your nightmare is over in 2 months!

Congratulations!!

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #15,998 of 16,326

variable line out setting that is apparently only on the EU version... to overcome the crazy volume limiting imposed by EU regulations on audio devices. After checking that box, I can now listen with the volume set at 100 or less on medium gain with the buds I was using instead of wanting to push it past 130.

Now I feel ready to try my full sized headphones.

So, to disable, and over come the nasty EU Nanny State Volume limit, you check a box in a menu?
You didn't need to leave EU in order to disable Volume limiter?

How can this be!!?? Are you saying Volume issue could be resolved without collapse of United Kingdom?

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #15,999 of 16,326
Just have suffer in a Nanny State for 2 more months, then you'll be able to enjoy all the freedom you lost by joining common market.

You are going to be so happy! Just 2 months now, and no more Volume limits. You will be taking back ALL control!

You'll £ will collapse, and Onkyo DP X1 will cost you much more than to rest of us, but that is small price to pay for having Volume Control back! Right now, I imagine Onkyo DP X1 is nearly unusable in UK, am I right? I don't live in UK, just go by what you say. Luckily your nightmare is over in 2 months!

Congratulations!!

Brexit cannot come soon enough - Leaving the eu is the best thing anyone can do.

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #16,000 of 16,326
My experience with this Onkyo's DSD handling is that it's not even up to the same level as PCM with a desktop DAC; when A/B'ing it this way before with the same song with both formats. Still good enough to make any fairly decent IEM sing with sonic delight, but I just wish there were an affordable DAP that did DSD the native way. Nonetheless my black brick has proven robust and reliable for PCM codecs, pumping out good sound and usually has OK battery life 'to boot' so to speak.

Are you saying Onkyo DP X1 is not as good as a desktop DAC?
How is this possible? Everybody knows desktop DAC are inferior to small battery powered, pocket DAC.

/s

How do you feel about Onkyo DP X1 as a DAP, a portable player? You know, something X1 is, sonethsom it's designed for?

Comparing Onkyo DP X1 desktop DAC, say, Nagra HD DAC, to your shock and amazement Onkyo DAP may be inferior, but can you put a home desktop DAC in a pocket, (first connecting a source to Nagra, of course, because Nagra is just a DAC)?

Could it be that portable DAP, a pocket player is simply so bad, that you can't live with the sound?

There is nothing on the market that clearly, convincingly beats Onkyo DP X1, for any money, but you demands simply exceed what Onkyo is capable?

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #16,001 of 16,326
Brexit cannot come soon enough - Leaving the eu is the best thing anyone can do.

Just 2 months now! Can you handle the horrors of being part of Europe these last 2 months?

Your national nightmare is nearly over.. just try to hold it together these last 2 months! All will be well after March!!

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #16,002 of 16,326
Sadly, the nightmare will begin but this is way off topic.

Back to the Onkyo. ... yes, the volume limiting is solved by the ticking of a little box in the menu. I am happy that Onkyo added that feature for the EU units. I don't know why the limit was there at all because none of my Chinese DAPs have that limit. I wonder why a Japanese DAP would be different. Both have sellers here.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #16,003 of 16,326
Sadly, the nightmare will begin.

Meanwhile I am really enjoying my Onkyo. ... and yes, the volume limiting is solved by the ticking of a little box in the menu.

What is the nightmare of Onkyo DP X1, please?

You say you enjoy Onkyo X1, but you say this is the beginning of a nightmare. How mad does this get, I'm sincerely curious!

Is it BREXIT related, like our fellow Headfier thinks? Is it really this bad? Could the solution to your nightmare be March 2019, when you leave this monsterous trade union known as European Union?
Or could the answer to your DP X1 nightmare found in modern medicine? (Old fashioned British meds, if course, you wouldn't wanna mess with big bad Euro meds!)

I'm cheering for you, cheering for happy ending to this DAP disaster!! Did the volume limiter push you over the edge? Was that it? Just 2 months to taking back CONTROL, as it was written on double decker bus! Hold on, my audio brother, not long now, until you have FULL CONTROL!! March is around the corner, hold on brother!! The CONTROL is within your grasp!

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #16,004 of 16,326
What is the nightmare of Onkyo DP X1, please?

no no no... it was a remark about the off topic political subject... nothing to do with the Onkyo. We will get in trouble if we continue.
By the way, I am not British... and I am nobody's brother... see my profile:)

The Onkyo is great. Definitely my best DAP... but not exactly portable for me. Fortunately I have other DAPs that are actually portable. This one will be for at home enjoyment:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back