ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 24, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #16,321 of 16,326
If everything else is working, and you state no other headphones are showing issues with the Onkyo, I think that strongly suggests that it was a coincidence that the driver failed.

Hopefully you can get it repaired or replaced. Good luck with things.

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #16,322 of 16,326
I'm hoping some very knowledgeable people can help me. I've owned my Onkyo DP-X1A since it was first available on the market. It has brought me countless hours of listening enjoyment with a variety of headphones. Recently, I purchased a pair of Rosson Rad-O headphones. They are rated at 29 ohms impedance, however for balanced 2.5mm TRRS usage, the DP-X1A spec-sheet says that the range should be 32 ohm to 600 ohm and that using headphones outside of this range "may cause damage". Well, wouldn't you know, after listening on normal gain at volumes ranging from 140 to 155 out of 160 for only a few hours total (a few one hour listening sessions), I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, but the right transducer on the phones stopped working. I've done lots of subsequent testing, and the Onkyo seems to still be working perfectly with other headphones, balanced or unbalanced. The Rosson's right can no longer works with anything, and will likely have to be sent in for warranty repair.

My question is now obvious... could this have caused the transducer to fail? I have been reading for hours and hours, and particularly liked this article:

https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-impedance-demystified/

However I'm still not sure I'm any further ahead in understanding this situation. I obviously don't want to use the headphones with the DAP if they are incompatible, although the unbalanced option does seem to fall within the range. Is anyone able to look at the specifications for both the DP-X1A and the Rad-O to advise me correctly?

Rosson Rad-O:
  • Frequency Response: 20 Hz – Beyond Audible Range
  • Driver: 66mm Planar Magnetic
  • Impedance: 29Ω
  • Sensitivity: 98 dB
I should also mention that I've been using Final E5000 headphones for years with this DAP, running in balanced, which have the following specification:
  • Impedance: 14Ω
  • Sensitivity: 93dB
Never had a single issue and they sound perfectly driven by the DPX-1A when compared with my non-portable gear, so I'm confused.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.
With that 98dB sensitivity, I gotta tell you, It's not the DAP's fault. Onkyo's output is weak as hell, even though Onkyo stated that their DAP could drive headphones from 30 - 600 ohm, it's designed for IEMs only. The DP-X1A-driveable headphones are some cheap dynamic-driver-type-headphones like Sony ZX110, ZX310, XB450, etc,.. Planar headphones are a different scene. I could only squeeze out a moderate volume level from DP-X1A for my Hifiman HE400SE. You should check with Rosson to inspect any possible driver failures.

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #16,323 of 16,326
I agree that the Onkyo cannot be part of the problem and that today it is easily surpassed even by cheap dongles but for the time it was not bad at all, in fact it easily rivaled the much more expensive A&K AK320/AK380. Today it can easily drive efficient IEMs, but not exclusively those equipped with a single driver, in fact I use it easily with IEMs such as UM Mest MKII, iBasso IT07, Thieaudio Monarch OG, PULA PA02 and even with the Aroma Jewel it doesn't do badly at all.. taking everything into account. (obviously only and exclusively in balanced 150mw X 2)

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #16,324 of 16,326
My DP-X1A running 5.1.1 has been offline for over a year awaiting a new battery. Now that the battery has arrived, but before I installed it, the X1A no longer allows any of my PCs (2 x Win 10 and 1 x Mac) to access its built-in or SD card storage. The Settings->Storage->USB computer connection doesn't do anything, i.e. no options for MTP, PTP or old-school USB storage.
I wondered if Tidal switched it off to stop access to offline files and deleted the app, but that has made no difference.
PCs do nothing when the X1A is plugged in, and the Mac Android File Transfer app tells me, "No Android device found."
Can anyone help? Do you know what went wrong or what I should try next?

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #16,325 of 16,326
My DP-X1A running 5.1.1 has been offline for over a year awaiting a new battery. Now that the battery has arrived, but before I installed it, the X1A no longer allows any of my PCs (2 x Win 10 and 1 x Mac) to access its built-in or SD card storage. The Settings->Storage->USB computer connection doesn't do anything, i.e. no options for MTP, PTP or old-school USB storage.
I wondered if Tidal switched it off to stop access to offline files and deleted the app, but that has made no difference.
PCs do nothing when the X1A is plugged in, and the Mac Android File Transfer app tells me, "No Android device found."
Can anyone help? Do you know what went wrong or what I should try next?
Have you checked the USB port yet? Probably there's something wrong with it. Try to connect to an external DAC/AMP (Chord Mojo, maybe) and see if they work together. Scenario 1: They work together, try to reset your DPX1A to factory settings. Scenario 2: They don't work together, bring your DAP to a phone repair shops and repair the USB port.

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #16,326 of 16,326
Have you checked the USB port yet? Probably there's something wrong with it. Try to connect to an external DAC/AMP (Chord Mojo, maybe) and see if they work together. Scenario 1: They work together, try to reset your DPX1A to factory settings. Scenario 2: They don't work together, bring your DAP to a phone repair shops and repair the USB port.
Thank you, Austin. I thought the USB port was OK just because it was charging! With a few wiggles of the cable, I could mount the internal and SD card storage. I'll check the connector and its soldering when I replace the battery. I have a way forward! Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back