ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 12, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #16,006 of 16,326
Glad to see that mileage varies with battery still, as well as the socket quality. I've had wildy varying times ranging from 14-20 on SE and about 12 on balanced, probably 10 on ACG. I shoved it in an inside jacket pouch or pants pocket but jacks seemed fine 6 months in, I actually had the plug on my EA Lionheart fall apart.

Jan 13, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #16,013 of 16,326
Are you saying Onkyo DP X1 is not as good as a desktop DAC? How is this possible? Everybody knows desktop DAC are inferior to small battery powered, pocket DAC.

How do you feel about Onkyo DP X1 as a DAP, a portable player? You know, something X1 is, sonethsom it's designed for?

Comparing Onkyo DP X1 desktop DAC, say, Nagra HD DAC, to your shock and amazement Onkyo DAP may be inferior, but can you put a home desktop DAC in a pocket, (first connecting a source to Nagra, of course, because Nagra is just a DAC)?

Could it be that portable DAP, a pocket player is simply so bad, that you can't live with the sound?

There is nothing on the market that clearly, convincingly beats Onkyo DP X1, for any money, but you demands simply exceed what Onkyo is capable?

I may have mislead you. Rather than comparing the DPX1A with a desktop DAC, I was comparing its' handling of DSD files, as not even up to the level of standard PCM (redbook) files on a desktop DAC (IMO/IME). Furthermore as I was saying this little black brick is the brick 'that could', reliably pumping out sonic treats. It's reliable and built like a tank, and seems to have a fairly transparent and articulated, yet somewhat vivid or lush sound.

@whitemouse with several other likes to my post above, somehow you managed to misread it and seem to be more interested in creating conflict than posting things that are useful to the community. Moreover politics are against the rules here, and Head-Fi is all about sharing valuable insights/experience and making friends, not heavy-handed sarcasm and half-baked posts aimed at starting drama.

above user's posts moderated

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #16,015 of 16,326
Hi guys,

i just bought a used DP-X1A, loving it so far. The android interface makes it so easy to create my own playlists compared to some other DAPs I've owned before. My question is - how do I backup and save these custom playlists in case the Onkyo dies or gets lost? When I connect the DAP to a PC, the playlists folder is empty.

I'm using the default Onkyo music app to create playlists.

Jan 17, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #16,016 of 16,326
I had the same issue and without digging too extensively, I just resorted to manually organizing each file on my PC vs. the tracks which I eyed from my saved playlist on the Onkyo. Far from efficient though, and there must be some sort of hack out there. It would seem in question though since the default app doesn't even export any file that can be found for the playlists, in any format. I do swear by the default player though because my testing shows it must be making better use of the soundchips vs. any 3rd party app I've tried with it.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #16,018 of 16,326
Did that and it indicates MASTER but playback in the Tidal app still says HiFi and does not show MQA at all. So strange.

Two things:

1. Not all songs have MQA versions. Look for the [M] next to the title.
2. If you downloaded offline files with "hi fi" selected, you may have to delete and restore offline content to get the Master versions.

If you want a quick MQA sample. Search for "MQA" and play "Mozart violin Concertos...". Note it has an [M] next to the title.

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #16,019 of 16,326
The leather case that I ordered from Valentinum on Etsy arrived last week. It was listed as being for the Pioneer, but fits the Onkyo perfectly. I love that the card slots are protected and of course it is very reassuring to have the flap to protect the screen. It fits beautifully and securely yet is simple to remove if necessary to access the card slots. I normally just leave them in the player if I am just adding a few albums. I don't want to wear out the little springs.

Excellent craftsmanship.

R0014226.JPG
R0014227.JPG
R0014228.JPG
R0014229.JPG

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #16,020 of 16,326
The leather case that I ordered from Valentinum on Etsy arrived last week. It was listed as being for the Pioneer, but fits the Onkyo perfectly. I love that the card slots are protected and of course it is very reassuring to have the flap to protect the screen. It fits beautifully and securely yet is simple to remove if necessary to access the card slots. I normally just leave them in the player if I am just adding a few albums. I don't want to wear out the little springs.

Excellent craftsmanship.

That's a nice looking case.
Is the flap held closed with magnets?
With the Velcro closure offset on the back, if the DP-X1 is laying on a flat surface, is there an issue with the DAP tilting when touching the screen off-center on the front?

EDIT: Since my DP-X1 is rooted, and I've got ES File Explorer installed, I just browse over my network to my PC, and copy/paste music files to the DAP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back