ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 1, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #16,036 of 16,326
Welp...for anyone wondering...my 2.5 port just broke on the X1A just as it did on the X1 :triportsad: but the ACG mode is just so good that no other player or DAC just does it for me. The clarity and separation is unlike no other...that I know of. Anyone know of any DACs/AMPs with a similar technology?

Mar 1, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #16,037 of 16,326
Welp...for anyone wondering...my 2.5 port just broke on the X1A just as it did on the X1 :triportsad: but the ACG mode is just so good that no other player or DAC just does it for me. The clarity and separation is unlike no other...that I know of. Anyone know of any DACs/AMPs with a similar technology?
Send it in and get it repaired would be the best option. There is a few in this thread that had theirs repaired with good results and better than it was stock.

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #16,040 of 16,326
My 2.5mm port dies last month and now the 3.5mm looks like is starting to play up... So I just ordered a Topping NX4 to replace the DP-X1 ports as I'm sure the price for fixing the DAP wouldn't leave much change from the NX4 price. Keen to try using it as an amp only, because the Onkyo DAP does a great job and I love using the native Tidal and Onkyo apps. Or to hook them up with a short USB and let the NX4 do all the heavy lifting. Anyone got this setup yet?

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #16,041 of 16,326
Everyone,

I'm _so_ fed up with my X1--the 3.5 jack doesn't hold the plug and the 2.5 is wiggly, causing scratchy sounds. I know there are many members who would fix this stuff, but I'm not one of them. With the really nice leather case (zzozz: the only thing I like about this unit anymore) the first $150 takes it. PM me.

Sorry for giving up on this unit!

PM me if interested.

Bill

Mar 7, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #16,043 of 16,326
I went for the Topping NX4 but Fiio Q1 MkII is also a good option. Get a case on your DP-X1 and use velcro or the included rubber straps to attach the amp. Lucky the DAP had a pretty large chin and forehead so the bands would not cover the screen.
Connection wise, you can go USB to use the external DAC or, at least in the case of the NX4, via an audio cable and use the external unit as an amp only. I have not received my NX4 yet but I'll get back with impression and photos shortly after I got it delivered.

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #16,045 of 16,326
If the audio output ports are damaged it won't delivery any power, ha-ha! As I said above, my balanced port is gone and the 3.5mm looks like it is already playing up. I'd rather protect what's left with an external DAC as repairing it would cost me about the same and the results are not guaranteed.

Mar 7, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #16,048 of 16,326
The balanced port, when it was working, was getting into "playing" static within 5 minutes when driving PM-3 planars at high-ish levels and those are easy to drive as far as orthodynamic cans are concerned. Nothing wrong with the cans as Mojo would drive them so high that they'd start floating on my head :) Not saying DP-X1 amp is bad but a powerhouse it is not... Very good for IEMs though.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #16,049 of 16,326
You guys are scaring me again with talk of broken jacks.

I bought mine in Japan some years back. 3.5mm port is iffy connection. Now i am using 2.5mm balanced. Its a matter of time that will be dead.

I bought FiiO Q1MK2 as dac. Had both OTG and Lightning cables. Wanted to try out AK chipset. I have been using this mainly Onkyo-Fiio Q1MK2 with FiiO F9 Pro. I hardly paired it with my iphone 8. Generally i am pleased with the sound so far

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #16,050 of 16,326
Sadly, I need to move on from the Onkyo. (Replaced by HyBy R6.) I really, really wanted the Onkyo to be "it" (read grail) for awhile but the jack problems just got me ticked. Yes, I know I can fix them, but I'm just not interested in dealing with it. For those who have and succeeded, kudos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back