ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 5, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #15,976 of 16,326
Can't answer why X1 is better than DAPs costing double, namely ibasso DX200, and FiioX7 II. But it is, to my ears.
Audio is subjective, and people may prefer DX200, I like Onkyo X1 better. And I like X1 better than DAPs costing $3000.

Here are some photos of inner life of X1, my 3.5mm out failed ages ago, but when 2.5mm failed in June, 6 months ago, we took it apart.
Notice output sockets are held in place only by soldering points, 6 tiny soldering points, 1 comes loose from board, bye bye. Another failure can be 4 contacts inside the socket itself, socket may be not loose, but contact become "tired", and fail to touch headphone jack, and one channel is gone.

Your X1 lasted 3 years, I'm guessing you don't carry in pocket? Neither do I, instead carry it in pouch, to avoid headphone plug bending the sockets, still they fail. This is known issue.

This repair on photos restored the 2.5, notice on one of the pics my friend added epoxy type glue, to keep it from becoming loose from board. This repair was done in June, in Estonia, Europe.

2.5mm socket failed again couple of weeks ago, one channel is dead, and I'm travelling, out of options, I shipped it to Hong Kong, Romi Audio. He replaces both output sockets, repairing them is pointless, they will fail again and again.

Hi, is the screen simply glued...?

Jan 5, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #15,977 of 16,326
Hi, is the screen simply glued...?

Yes, use heat gun to loosen the silicon glue, just like removing smartphone's screen. Screen off easy after minute or 2 of heat.

Btw, I had both headphone sockets replaced by Romi Audio in Hong Kong, new sockets are clearly diffredif design, it's been over a month now, I use player for hours every day, so far everything in tact. Total cost including shipping from HK with EMS was 950 $HK. Romi Audio turnaround 2 days.

Jan 5, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #15,978 of 16,326
I see, thanks, bur Romy Audio is so far from me...
I will probably use, in case I need it, these kind of jacks, they do not rely on the board but on the case itself. At least fir the 3.5 jack it looks there’s p,enty of room.
1231frk.png

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #15,980 of 16,326

These jack's on both photos are attached to case, not circuit board, as you said.
I have not opened my X1 after Romi replaced both sockets, but I can see that new jack's are still attached to circuit board, because they are not attached to the case itself. New jacks are different from Onkyo's, but what exactly are they I can't tell.

When we opened the unit several months ago, I saw the inner workings, there is no room in the case for the sockets that you posted above, the circuit board pretty much touches the Al case, the screwed down jacks would require space in order to fit in, there is no room for those. Or with some modification to these screw down jacks there is a way to fit them, that would be ideal. Cos Romi's jacks are still attached to the board, and in time they, too, will become loose, or snap a solder joint.

The jacks that you posted above would have been great design decision by Onkyo, those are near indestructible, Sony higher end DAPs use screwed to casing sockets. Why do other manufacturers skip on this crushial element of design is beyond me. Sony has been in Walkman business 40 years, they know how important output socket design is, but this is no mystery, and it should not be something that Onkyo or ibasso for that matter have never heard of. They employ engineers, designers, and somehow manage to Fu*k up the only moving part of the whole design, there's no excuse for it.

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #15,982 of 16,326
They fit, trust me.
The main diameter of “my” jacks is the same you ssee pointed by the arrow, and the board allows it:)
The golden one also has the nut outside...
e9i685.jpg

That's great!

I have never hold your srew down socket in my hand, I assumed they are larger in size. If they fit, all the better!
Can I ask you, where did you buy these sockets? Next time my X1 socket becomes ''tired', I will replace the current sockets to those you posted.
Obviously screwed to body of player is way to go.

While ago I posted pics if Sony screed sockets, in this thread, I bought several from AliExpress, they were too big and no way of fitting those to X1.

Now I'm wondering why Romi Audio doesn't use screwed sockets, since they replace sockets anyway, way not use the toughest sockets? Strange!

Again, please share the source for sockets you posted, please!

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #15,983 of 16,326
I have only had my Onkyo for just over two weeks. All this talk about sockets is causing me major worry....even more so after reading posts that the internal connector wears out quickly. If I did not know any of this I would be blissfully happy.

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #15,984 of 16,326
That's great!

I have never hold your srew down socket in my hand, I assumed they are larger in size. If they fit, all the better!
Can I ask you, where did you buy these sockets? Next time my X1 socket becomes ''tired', I will replace the current sockets to those you posted.
Obviously screwed to body of player is way to go.

While ago I posted pics if Sony screed sockets, in this thread, I bought several from AliExpress, they were too big and no way of fitting those to X1.

Now I'm wondering why Romi Audio doesn't use screwed sockets, since they replace sockets anyway, way not use the toughest sockets? Strange!

Again, please share the source for sockets you posted, please!
From Aliexpress. Tried to find the exact link but did not succeed. Just check some “3.5mm jack”. Anyway they are dirty cheap (literally something like 30/40 cents), and after maybe some trimming or/and bending the connections they fit almost in every place you need them (at least if there is some room in the board like in the X1).
BTW, what kind of glue did you use for re-installing the screen? Did you have any issue doing it?

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #15,985 of 16,326
I have only had my Onkyo for just over two weeks. All this talk about sockets is causing me major worry....even more so after reading posts that the internal connector wears out quickly. If I did not know any of this I would be blissfully happy.

Nah, don't worry! Many people have never had socket issue, after years of use.
I carry mine while outside, walking, and especially sitting down with player in pocket puts strain on sockets, headphone plug that's sticking out squeezes the sicket, bends it, if you will. Many people user X1 at home, if player is not being kicked stoubd, sockets will probably last.

Still tho, Onkyo sockets are sub par, I've gone through 5 or 6 smartphones and tablets in 2 years, and of course using headphones plugged in, not once has there been a glitch, never mind total socket failure with phones.

One advice i'd give, don't carry X1 in tight pocket if headphones are plugged in, I use a loose pouch that hangs off jeans belt, so if I sit, the pouch and player move freely, no strain is put on sockets. It will certainly prolong health of X1 :)

Don't worry, just listen music and forget!

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #15,986 of 16,326
One advice i'd give, don't carry X1 in tight pocket if headphones are plugged in, I use a loose pouch that hangs off jeans belt, so if I sit, the pouch and player move freely, no strain is put on sockets. It will certainly prolong health of X1 :)

Don't worry, just listen music and forget!

I would not be taking this out and about... I have smaller DAPs for that. This one is for relaxing late at night on the sofa..when I don't want to use my desktop setup.

I do have a small bag I can put it in to wear cross-body if I need to go to the kitchen to make a cup of tea:) I don't really wear clothes with pockets. Men have more pockets I think. Now that the weather is cold (and I keep the house cold) I can wear a jacket around the house that has pockets..

I will be using the sockets a lot as I want to try various headphones and higher impedance buds with it. Maybe my better IEMs as well if they are not too sensitive for it. BTW, why are there two low gain settings? I do I know which one to use?

Jan 5, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #15,987 of 16,326
From Aliexpress. Tried to find the exact link but did not succeed. Just check some “3.5mm jack”. Anyway they are dirty cheap (literally something like 30/40 cents), and after maybe some trimming or/and bending the connections they fit almost in every place you need them (at least if there is some room in the board like in the X1).
BTW, what kind of glue did you use for re-installing the screen? Did you have any issue doing it?

This is sockets I bought from Aliexpress, didn't fit X1, socket too big.

I really hope to find sockets that you posted, screwed to body is really the only sure way to secure the socket. As of now, and original factory sockets by Onkyo are held in place only by solder joints.

2.5mm_amazon.jpg

Jan 5, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #15,988 of 16,326
These are so BIG!
I don’t know if these are 2.5 or 3.5mm, but look at the “extra” diameter after the hole, it is huge.
Mine are just some more in diameter than the actual hole.

What about the glue you used for re-insstalling the screen...?

Jan 5, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #15,989 of 16,326
These are so BIG!
I don’t know if these are 2.5 or 3.5mm, but look at the “extra” diameter after the hole, it is huge.
Mine are just some more in diameter than the actual hole.

What about the glue you used for re-insstalling the screen...?

Didn't use glue, there is soft, rubbery silicon looking goo holding the screen, after heating it the goo becomes soft, screen comes off, but goo is still there, both on All body and lcd, I just put the screen back, screen stays in place without adding any glue or anything .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back