ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 1, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #15,961 of 16,326
Hi all,

Is there any guide about how to install the UAPP on my Onkyo XP-1A?
While I don’t necessarily have any issues with the Onkyo audio player app, I’d love to use UAPP specifically for MQA support on Tidal.
I’m confused why Tidal doesn’t support this through their native app!

Thank you in advance,

Minsoo

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #15,962 of 16,326
Hi all,

Is there any guide about how to install the UAPP on my Onkyo XP-1A?
While I don’t necessarily have any issues with the Onkyo audio player app, I’d love to use UAPP specifically for MQA support on Tidal.
I’m confused why Tidal doesn’t support this through their native app!

Thank you in advance,

Minsoo

Just launch the Google Play app, search for & download UAPP, and then use the pay in app feature to pay for it.

Jan 1, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #15,963 of 16,326
Apologies for the additional questions but I purchased it and hooked it up to my Tidal account. When I play an indicated MQA song, how do I know it's running in MQA?

Ok...so I found and purchased the in-app update but now it says the settings need to be in bit perfect mode. So it set it to bit perfect and then it says it cannot play in bit perfect?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #15,964 of 16,326
Apologies for the additional questions but I purchased it and hooked it up to my Tidal account. When I play an indicated MQA song, how do I know it's running in MQA?

I believe you have to make sure that you've set up UAPP to use the HiRes Direct driver, in Bitperfect mode. Then when you select an MQA track, there will be a Blue or Green dot beside MQA on the status line in UAPP - indicating that it's being decoded.

Jan 1, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #15,965 of 16,326
I believe you have to make sure that you've set up UAPP to use the HiRes Direct driver, in Bitperfect mode. Then when you select an MQA track, there will be a Blue or Green dot beside MQA on the status line in UAPP - indicating that it's being decoded.

The software says “cannot resample in bit perfect mode”. But I don’t believe I have resampling turned on...
Kinda frustrating.

Jan 1, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #15,966 of 16,326
The software says “cannot resample in bit perfect mode”. But I don’t believe I have resampling turned on...
Kinda frustrating.

Just came across this post by the UAPP developer, which explains that since the DP-X1 doesn't support 88.2-KHZ, the MQA feature of UAPP won't run on the DP-X1 - https://www.head-fi.org/posts/14668661/
Apparently the Onkyo Music Player app can play MQA, but it can't connect to Tidal.
Maybe a future update from Tidal can make MQA work within their app.

Jan 1, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #15,967 of 16,326
Just came across this post by the UAPP developer, which explains that since the DP-X1 doesn't support 88.2-KHZ, the MQA feature of UAPP won't run on the DP-X1 - https://www.head-fi.org/posts/14668661/
Apparently the Onkyo Music Player app can play MQA, but it can't connect to Tidal.
Maybe a future update from Tidal can make MQA work within their app.

Thanks man!

I actually emailed the UAPP developer and they responded quickly with the same information and that they were working with MQA on a fix.
I so impressed by the responsiveness of you, this forum and the ExtremeSD/UAPP developer. Thank you all.

When I connect with a 96 kHz MQA stream, it’s heaven! I’m hoping a fix will allow me to utilize all the 88 kHz MQA streams as well soon.

Jan 1, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #15,968 of 16,326
Thanks man!

I actually emailed the UAPP developer and they responded quickly with the same information and that they were working with MQA on a fix.
I so impressed by the responsiveness of you, this forum and the ExtremeSD/UAPP developer. Thank you all.

When I connect with a 96 kHz MQA stream, it’s heaven! I’m hoping a fix will allow me to utilize all the 88 kHz MQA streams as well soon.
Dang! So it works with 96 kHz MQA but not 88 at the moment? I just bought the upgrade in anticipation of my DP-X1 coming from overseas. Grrrr......

Jan 1, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #15,970 of 16,326
Well...I’m not sure how long it will take but I hope it gets updated by the time yours arrives. It’s a new year soiguess I. Feeling optimistic!
It's ok. I am more disappointed by the fact that it can't output native DSD out of the 2.5 or 3.5 jacks....

Jan 1, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #15,971 of 16,326
I feel pretty disappointed with this thing before I even get it. Hoping the sound quality blows me away.Right now I use LG G5 phone > FiiO Q1mk2. Sounds pretty awesome, but hate having 2 devices. And then I find out that the Onkyo can only output native DSD via usb, so I will have to use the Q1 with the Onkyo if i want native DSD. Crazy!

Jan 1, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #15,972 of 16,326
Sorry guys. Don't mean to complain. Just sayin'.

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #15,973 of 16,326
I feel pretty disappointed with this thing before I even get it. Hoping the sound quality blows me away.Right now I use LG G5 phone > FiiO Q1mk2. Sounds pretty awesome, but hate having 2 devices. And then I find out that the Onkyo can only output native DSD via usb, so I will have to use the Q1 with the Onkyo if i want native DSD. Crazy!

According to the chart on Page 4 of this brochure, the internal ESS DACs apparently top out at 192-KHz/24-Bit, so DSD files are converted to 192-KHz/24-Bit PCM.
However, up to 11.2-MHz Native DSD can be streamed out of the USB port to an external DAC.
https://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/product_info/pdf/dp-x1_leaflet.pdf

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #15,974 of 16,326
According to the chart on Page 4 of this brochure, the internal ESS DACs apparently top out at 192-KHz/24-Bit, so DSD files are converted to 192-KHz/24-Bit PCM.
However, up to 11.2-MHz Native DSD can be streamed out of the USB port to an external DAC.
https://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/product_info/pdf/dp-x1_leaflet.pdf
Yep. Super disappointing. I should have researched it beforehand, but found out after I ordered it. It says DSD on the spec sheet. Little * asterisk saying it uses DoP.
:frowning2:

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #15,975 of 16,326
The battery meter doesn't seem accurate. Even though the battery level shows 25% in about 3 hours of playing, the DP-X1 plays for another 8 to 9 hours giving a total of 12 hours playing time in airplane mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back