ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 24, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #14,956 of 16,326
There was at least one update, for the DP-X1B last Summer, and another one, after the DP-X1A was released earlier this year.

My rooted DP-X1B Device Information shows:
Processor info: Qualcomm APQ8074PRO-AB
Android version: 5.1.1
Kernel version: 3.4.0 android-build@DAP #1 Fri Nov 4 01:44:25 CST 2016
Build number: LMY47V
SW version: 0.1.37.8_20161104.013642
Correction: I only saw the DP-S1 firmware update on the USA site here: https://www.onkyousa.com/Downloads/firmware.php

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #14,957 of 16,326
I saw those updates DB9, but I thought they were meant for the newer X1 DAP's. I'll dig a little deeper and see if they'll work for my 1st generation X1. Thanks for the response.

I bought a first generation DP-X1 (which they now call the DP-X1B - after they released the newer DP-X1A model) last Fall, and can say that the SW update for the DP-X1A works fine - since the H/W is basically the same for the two units.

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #14,958 of 16,326
I bought a first generation DP-X1 (which they now call the DP-X1B - after they released the newer DP-X1A model) last Fall, and can say that the SW update for the DP-X1A works fine - since the H/W is basically the same for the two units.
I'm not seeing any firmware updates on the USA and Europe websites. No biggy, but thanks for the response.

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #14,961 of 16,326
Dp-x1b = dpx1 first gen in black color

Dp-x1a = dpx1 second generation with modified capacitors and resistors.

There is no difference in Cpu / dac / opamp . So all firmware update (Android system update) and Onkyo Music update (the default player app) are applicable to both gen.

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #14,962 of 16,326
For those to recognize first and second gen dpx1 from casing. The first generation has silver color earphone plate. The second generation plate is black.

All the first generation all sold out by March 2017. The second generation is still in production.

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #14,963 of 16,326
Dp-x1b = dpx1 first gen in black color

Dp-x1a = dpx1 second generation with modified capacitors and resistors.

There is no difference in Cpu / dac / opamp . So all firmware update (Android system update) and Onkyo Music update (the default player app) are applicable to both gen.

Back in February, there was at least one user who reported that the new DP-X1A has a 3.5mm TRRS jack (with a Mic Input), and that they were able to use Skype with Earphones w/Mic on their unit.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/onk...d-256-android-5.780642/page-908#post-13238906

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #14,964 of 16,326
For those to recognize first and second gen dpx1 from casing. The first generation has silver color earphone plate. The second generation plate is black.

All the first generation all sold out by March 2017. The second generation is still in production.

There's also the X1A, engraved on the "top" earphone jack plate of the newer model... :wink:

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #14,965 of 16,326
Sep 27, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #14,966 of 16,326
So I have in hand the DP-X1 (late production) and the DP-X1A (fresh off the assembly line)) and I'm A>B testing them. So far the only cans that reveal an audible improvement are my HD800S, Utopias, Sines, and my T1p, all running balanced. There's definitely not a huge difference. I'm going to do some SE testing next. I still think this is the best bargain in mid-range DAPs, by a big margin. You really need to go up the A&K chain to beat it outright (like the AK320) and it's much more versatile and stable (at least for me).

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #14,967 of 16,326
So I have in hand the DP-X1 (late production) and the DP-X1A (fresh off the assembly line)) and I'm A>B testing them. So far the only cans that reveal an audible improvement are my HD800S, Utopias, Sines, and my T1p, all running balanced. There's definitely not a huge difference. I'm going to do some SE testing next. I still think this is the best bargain in mid-range DAPs, by a big margin. You really need to go up the A&K chain to beat it outright (like the AK320) and it's much more versatile and stable (at least for me).

Can you give a brief comparison between the two in balanced more? Thanks

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #14,968 of 16,326
surfcables on lappy.jpg
surf cables terminal.jpg
aussie headphone view.jpg
headphones on stand.jpg
surfcablesbag.jpg

I want to agree with the overall status of this Onkyo. I have the DPX1. I am using balanced custom DT770 headphones wired strangely into a single 3.5mm pin by Custom Cans UK. Consequently I listen unbalanced. And I have two options for balanced listening. First is a balanced set of Shure S215's wired with a Fiio cable. Second is a SurfCables USA balanced cable for the DT770's. And I really can't hear any difference between balanced and unbalanced. They both sound fantastic! And I'm not joking...the sound is simply astonishing. With the Custom Cans Cable marginally better than the SurfCables balanced 2.5trrs cable.

Here's the script on each cable from the suppliers:

Custom Cans UK:

This is an audiophile grade, ultra-low capacitance cable
The cable is made using 84 strand litz copper, wrapped in coloured paracord of your choice, and hand braided here in the UK.

Surf Cables:
  • "We use military grade aerospace silver teflon wire and other components. Note that the signal conduction, frequency response and durability requirements of the military and aerospace communities far exceed those of the audio community. Our raw wire is made by some of the largest wire companies in the world to exacting specifications not possible for many audio-only wire companies."
As I mention the UK Custom Cans cable is better than the SurfCable. I've tried burning both in and yes the Surf Cable improved, no I left it running for 5 days on its own. Now they're very close yet still there is difference audible.

Which leads me to say the balanced mode doesn't seem to improve over the 3.5 mm into balanced cans...

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #14,970 of 16,326
I definitely hear the difference between 3.5mm and balanced 2.5mm ACG with mine t5p.2 HP, currently driven with forza custom cable Claire Hybrid HPC.
Agree, I can hear the difference and it is not small. By the way the DP-X1 and T5p.2 synergy is remarkable over balanced connection. I use DIY Mogami cable with Eidolic connectors, It is the best "portable" setup I heard. Not that I heard that many :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back