ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 14, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #14,926 of 16,326
Onkyo_DPX1_screen_1.png I have my DP-X1 stacked (OTG) with the Sony PHA-3 as I love the sound from the PHA-3…I noticed something weird recently, the media volume on the sound settings affects the volume on the PHA-3…My understanding is once I’m bypassing the DP-X1, volume should only be controlled the PHA-3 with the DAP having no say in anything, so to speak..The DAP volume knob won’t operate as expected but the Media Volume on the sound settings on the DAP does…Example, if the media volume is all the way down, then no sound will come from the PHA-3, if it’s turned all the way up, the volume on the PHA-3 will have more power (louder)…This setting is from the Android settings, not the settings from the Music APP..I hope I’m explaining this correctly, attached is a picture of the setting at question:

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #14,928 of 16,326
Hello,

I posted a message a couple of weeks ago about my concern with balanced signal.
I have a Oppo PM3 and a DPX1. I bought a "cheap" 4PIN 2.5<->3.5 cable. I just wanted to try listening my own music to check the balanced story on my own without the need to spend hundreds for a beautiful cable.

- It simply does not work in balanced mode. I have enormous phase problems between channels. A simple pink noise oscillating between left and right shows it.
- It does not work with ACG neither: subtle phase problem. Basses are f.. up and mids blurred.
- It sounds _very_ well in un-balanced mode. I love it.

4PIN audio cable do not have any specific routing ? Would a 4PIN-4PIN jack for cellphone be different ?

PS: I still do not understand the DSP modes. They simply smooth attacks as if there were a long fft window process behind. EQ can only be used with that DSP mode.

Thank you !!
2.5 to 3.5 interconnect-cable can cause a short on your device. Be careful.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #14,929 of 16,326
The problem IMO is that there is too much friction caused when straight-pulling out the plug from the port. IDK if this prolong the port usage, but I usually twist the plug slowly outwards everytime I finish listening. And also wiping the plug (a tiny bit) with mineral oil to help lubricate, and reduce friction inside the port. Will need more testing though. Just my guess.

Problem it is with bad quality cheap socket construction - cheap plastic and tiny contacts.
Mineral oil - BAD idea. Oil - dielectric substance. Contacts MUST be kept CLEAN. Even worse - oil can ruin plastic and socket will be breaking even faster.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #14,930 of 16,326
Hi again guys, you may remember me from earlier in this thread.
So after a few months owning the DP-X1A, I'm starting to experience loose plug issues. It's similar to the problem I've heard reported on older models, only this one is occurring late. a few questions please:
- to prolong the jack life, is it recommended to keep the headphone cable connected full time, or just insert it less often?
- does anybody have experience with repairing it under warranty, such as shipping costs / time involved?
- what about repair at a local electronics shop for faster service, would they even be able to open it, etc.?

It's still working great, but sometimes the plug comes out unexpectedly but I can see this is traveling downhill quickly and am becoming afraid to use it at all.
OTOH, it's by a mile the best DAP I've ever owned with very lifelike sound, even better to me than the Queestyle QP1R which is overrated.

My DP-X1A is back in Japan getting repaired because the 2.5mm gave out. No idea how long it will take. I don't anticipate seeing it before Thanksgiving...

For when it gets back to me, I've bought a male to female 2.5mm balanced adapter that I plan to leave plugged in at all times. If I want to change phones, I will do so on the female end of the adapter, not the jack on the Onkyo. Not something anyone should have to do (or even think they should have to do), but the plugs remain fickle. Some people have zero trouble, some have no end of it.

For what it's worth, I bought the adapter through Triton Audio Cables (the owner/maker is a head-fi regular).

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #14,932 of 16,326
Problem it is with bad quality cheap socket construction - cheap plastic and tiny contacts.
Mineral oil - BAD idea. Oil - dielectric substance. Contacts MUST be kept CLEAN. Even worse - oil can ruin plastic and socket will be breaking even faster.
Thanks. My guess was wrong.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #14,933 of 16,326
I am using balanced cables on Onkyo DPX1 for more than 6 months. Any problems with socket. Also step forward in sound - especially in ACG mode. Recommend - in ACG balanced mode you will get 100% pleasure out of this DAP.
Sorry I'm not familiar with ACG mode, and I didn't find it when looking - please let me know. And do I need to change any setting to use balanced mode?

Also @Duduche yeah the config of your 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter seems in question. Or I wonder if it may be a 4-pin to 3-pin adapter? Amps should generally never have the balanced mode converted to SE, which can short things out, though from the amp SE to balanced adapters do no harm just have no benefit unless out of necessity for wiring.

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #14,934 of 16,326
I have my DP-X1 stacked (OTG) with the Sony PHA-3 as I love the sound from the PHA-3…I noticed something weird recently, the media volume on the sound settings affects the volume on the PHA-3…My understanding is once I’m bypassing the DP-X1, volume should only be controlled the PHA-3 with the DAP having no say in anything, so to speak..The DAP volume knob won’t operate as expected but the Media Volume on the sound settings on the DAP does…Example, if the media volume is all the way down, then no sound will come from the PHA-3, if it’s turned all the way up, the volume on the PHA-3 will have more power (louder)…This setting is from the Android settings, not the settings from the Music APP..I hope I’m explaining this correctly, attached is a picture of the setting at question:

Anybody have any thoughts on this..? Also worth noting.. it would make sense (and expect) that if DAP media volume is all the way up and PHA-3 volume all the way down, there is zero sound..it sort of acting like a gain level, etc.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #14,935 of 16,326
Sorry I'm not familiar with ACG mode, and I didn't find it when looking - please let me know. And do I need to change any setting to use balanced mode?

Also @Duduche yeah the config of your 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter seems in question. Or I wonder if it may be a 4-pin to 3-pin adapter? Amps should generally never have the balanced mode converted to SE, which can short things out, though from the amp SE to balanced adapters do no harm just have no benefit unless out of necessity for wiring.

You should go to Settings --- Sound&Notifications --- Output select --- A.C.G. (another option - Balanced). ACG it is modification of Balanced output which have 180 degrees inverted signal on ground wire.

About adapters. You can connect balanced wired headphones through adapter to SE, but not vice versa (you will short amplifier).

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #14,936 of 16,326
Anybody have any thoughts on this..? Also worth noting.. it would make sense (and expect) that if DAP media volume is all the way up and PHA-3 volume all the way down, there is zero sound..it sort of acting like a gain level, etc.

For better results try direct transfer - in Setings - Sound settings turn on DSP function, External device - USB audio. On PHA 3 you will get 2 green lights HiFs and DSD. One thing - you will get fixed line out, if you turn volume knob on Onkyo there will be interuption in the sound and some kind of noise. Get back to max volume (160) and playback will be fine.

Sep 14, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #14,937 of 16,326
Thanks, I may check into that in the future but for now I'm just trying to check into why the media volume is sort of determining gain/loudness of the PHA-3..A few notes:

It is connected through OTG micro to micro..

The volume knob on the Onkyo does not operate (as it shouldn't) when running with the PHA-3...Only the media volume plays a part in the PHA-3 volume loudness/gain. If the Onkyo media volume is all the way up and PHA-3 is all the way low, no sound comes out, which is good I guess as I know the Onkyo is not fully controlling the volume..So depending on where I set the media volume, that will determine how loud the volume will on the PHA-3, strange I know...

DP-X1 (without PHA-3) upsamples all flac 44khz to 48khz as shown on the Onkyo screen and specs..Operating with the PHA-3, the Onkyo screen shows at 44khz, which makes sense as PHA-3 does play 44khz..

All in all, I'm just trying to confirm if I'm indeed bypassing the Onkyo's amp/dac and operating the PHA-3's amp/dac..Would love to get some thoughts/feedback..Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #14,938 of 16,326
I just got a Focal Elear because of the $300.00 discount this month I was mostly curious but this headphone is just incredible and is pairing perfectly with the Onkyo even without amp although for sure is not very portable but for around the house is perfect my best sounding HP so far also should be very easy to make a balanced cable for it..

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #14,939 of 16,326
I just got a Focal Elear because of the $300.00 discount this month I was mostly curious but this headphone is just incredible and is pairing perfectly with the Onkyo even without amp although for sure is not very portable but for around the house is perfect my best sounding HP so far also should be very easy to make a balanced cable for it..

Onkyo - Balanced (silver) - Focal Elear = Sweet treat to your ears. Gratz!

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #14,940 of 16,326
I have my DP-X1 stacked (OTG) with the Sony PHA-3 as I love the sound from the PHA-3…I noticed something weird recently, the media volume on the sound settings affects the volume on the PHA-3…My understanding is once I’m bypassing the DP-X1, volume should only be controlled the PHA-3 with the DAP having no say in anything, so to speak..The DAP volume knob won’t operate as expected but the Media Volume on the sound settings on the DAP does…Example, if the media volume is all the way down, then no sound will come from the PHA-3, if it’s turned all the way up, the volume on the PHA-3 will have more power (louder)…This setting is from the Android settings, not the settings from the Music APP..I hope I’m explaining this correctly, attached is a picture of the setting at question:

Actually it is the digital volume of the dac you are controlling. The volume dial is digital. There is an option in Music which gives you control of digital volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back