ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 13, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #14,911 of 16,326
Hello,

Thank you very much !
I actually bought this cable, or the same from another seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-End-...744629?hash=item33c7ff8835:g:h0oAAOSwyWZZSHHN
It is a "Double End 2.5mm to 3.5mm Male 3-Ring TRRS Headphone Jack Plug AV Adapter Cable".

As audio cable, even cheap, I do not see why there would be enormous crosswalk between channels for balanced DPX1, iPhone microphone or whatever.

I think there is a problem with the headphones, the DPX1 or the wiring within the cable.

I thought such TRRS jack cable would just connect channels strait from one end to another (A-in->A-out, B-in->B-out etc). Wires can be for iPhone microphone or ground; it does not matter since they are just wires.
Am I wrong ?
I seem to recall that the cable is proprietary in that it could only be plugged in one way, if not there would not be any sound or something like that, I would check your manual or contact Oppo. I agree that it should probably work but I think the ends are different on each side of the standard cable and it could only be plugged in one way.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #14,912 of 16,326
Sep 13, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #14,913 of 16,326
Hello,

I posted a message a couple of weeks ago about my concern with balanced signal.
I have a Oppo PM3 and a DPX1. I bought a "cheap" 4PIN 2.5<->3.5 cable. I just wanted to try listening my own music to check the balanced story on my own without the need to spend hundreds for a beautiful cable.

- It simply does not work in balanced mode. I have enormous phase problems between channels. A simple pink noise oscillating between left and right shows it.
- It does not work with ACG neither: subtle phase problem. Basses are f.. up and mids blurred.
- It sounds _very_ well in un-balanced mode. I love it.

4PIN audio cable do not have any specific routing ? Would a 4PIN-4PIN jack for cellphone be different ?

PS: I still do not understand the DSP modes. They simply smooth attacks as if there were a long fft window process behind. EQ can only be used with that DSP mode.

Thank you !!

It's important that the plug and wiring you use is wired correctly for the Onkyo or you risk damage to your unit. The plug needs to be wired using the Astell and Kearn standard for balanced plugs. And never use a 4 pin to 3 pin adapter as it will short the ground together and cause potential damage. If you google you will find the correct wiring diagram, and of course if you buy a balanced cable it should be wired correctly, just verify it's A&K as most are.

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #14,914 of 16,326
Hi again guys, you may remember me from earlier in this thread.
So after a few months owning the DP-X1A, I'm starting to experience loose plug issues. It's similar to the problem I've heard reported on older models, only this one is occurring late. a few questions please:
- to prolong the jack life, is it recommended to keep the headphone cable connected full time, or just insert it less often?
- does anybody have experience with repairing it under warranty, such as shipping costs / time involved?
- what about repair at a local electronics shop for faster service, would they even be able to open it, etc.?

It's still working great, but sometimes the plug comes out unexpectedly but I can see this is traveling downhill quickly and am becoming afraid to use it at all.
OTOH, it's by a mile the best DAP I've ever owned with very lifelike sound, even better to me than the Queestyle QP1R which is overrated.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #14,915 of 16,326
Hi again guys, you may remember me from earlier in this thread.
So after a few months owning the DP-X1A, I'm starting to experience loose plug issues. It's similar to the problem I've heard reported on older models, only this one is occurring late. a few questions please:
- to prolong the jack life, is it recommended to keep the headphone cable connected full time, or just insert it less often?
- does anybody have experience with repairing it under warranty, such as shipping costs / time involved?
- what about repair at a local electronics shop for faster service, would they even be able to open it, etc.?

It's still working great, but sometimes the plug comes out unexpectedly but I can see this is traveling downhill quickly and am becoming afraid to use it at all.
OTOH, it's by a mile the best DAP I've ever owned with very lifelike sound, even better to me than the Queestyle QP1R which is overrated.

I still remember way back they glue it with some kinds of superglue or mixed epoxy. Btw, mine is the first version and I have pulled and plugged the 2.5 balanced connection so many times but it is still intact. Maybe I am the luckiest owner?!

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #14,916 of 16,326
My loose connection issue was with the 3.5mm socket. I've still never had the chance to test this amp in balanced due to the sparse availability of 2.5mm balanced connections. Plus all my IEM cables are non-detatcheable... except I just got one AMAZING sounding IEM yesterday with detacheable cables. I wonder if it's worth it to spend a lot extra for a balanced cable with IEMs for this DP-X1A? But my IEMs are very efficient at 16ohms, so I'm wondering if balanced mode would be overkill?

Perhaps balanced out would be a sort of solution for my loose 3.5mm socket, but who's to say if this socket will also wear out the same way.

Also any takes for my other questions above? Thanks...

PS- I can't keep this inside any longer... my KNOCKOUT IEMs I just got were TFZ Exclusive 1 which I auditioned at the E-earphone Shop in Tokyo - for only $50 but sounding better than most others up to $200!!!

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #14,923 of 16,326
My loose connection issue was with the 3.5mm socket. I've still never had the chance to test this amp in balanced due to the sparse availability of 2.5mm balanced connections. Plus all my IEM cables are non-detatcheable... except I just got one AMAZING sounding IEM yesterday with detacheable cables. I wonder if it's worth it to spend a lot extra for a balanced cable with IEMs for this DP-X1A? But my IEMs are very efficient at 16ohms, so I'm wondering if balanced mode would be overkill?

Perhaps balanced out would be a sort of solution for my loose 3.5mm socket, but who's to say if this socket will also wear out the same way.

PS- I can't keep this inside any longer... my KNOCKOUT IEMs I just got were TFZ Exclusive 1 which I auditioned at the E-earphone Shop in Tokyo - for only $50 but sounding better than most others up to $200!!!
The balanced cable upgrade is definitly worth it. imho

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #14,924 of 16,326

I am using balanced cables on Onkyo DPX1 for more than 6 months. Any problems with socket. Also step forward in sound - especially in ACG mode. Recommend - in ACG balanced mode you will get 100% pleasure out of this DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back