ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Oct 2, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #14,986 of 16,326
I consider Mojo to be worthy of the performance at the pricepoint.

MoJo was good but I hated carrying it around with another DAP and generally don't like using my phone as a DAP.

Oct 2, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #14,988 of 16,326
I'm going off-topic what your thoughts on Cowon Plenue DAPs?

Oct 2, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #14,989 of 16,326
Onkyo DP1X best Sabre implementation lol... Wait till u try Opus #2 and Ibasso DX200.
I bet you haven't try those yet right?!

I've tried the DX200 and it sounds virtually identical. What I was implying is that the DP-X1A is about as far as you can get with their class of Sabre DACs. You need to move up to a higher-end chip (like the AK4490) to get more. (In this case more refinement and definition.)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #14,990 of 16,326
I've tried the DX200 and it sounds virtually identical. What I was implying is that the DP-X1A is about as far as you can get with their class of Sabre DACs. You need to move up to a higher-end chip (like the AK4490) to get more.
This is not true at all what so ever if anybody else has heard them both. Sabre tends to sound more articulate or pronounced in general, but of course it's about implementation in how well it sounds.

They are not equal because the chip, I've heard Fiio with AKM chips as well, and surely there are performance differences in implementation. There is nothing to say AKM or cirus logic chips are generally better sounding. or higher numbered Sabres chips are better.

Also, I have not yet heard a well implemented Sony S-master either.
I'm going off-topic what your thoughts on Cowon Plenue DAPs?
I haven't heard any of them, so no opinions.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #14,991 of 16,326
This is still my biggest issue with my DPX1A which keeps me looking at other DAPs. The music player never resumes or remembers the last song or playlist after power down! :rage::rolling_eyes:

Lucky for you on anyone reading this, I've already found a good solution earlier this year. After at least a full day experimenting and trying other music players on the DP X1A, I settled on the PlayerPro from Blaston. It's a free player and they may have had an add on for $5 (though I don't recall). You can download it from http://aplayerpro.com/ or the G-Play store. Be sure to also download the DSP Widget pack and follow the instructions, which enables a 10-band EQ as well as both a stereo virtualizer and bass boost knob, both of which are actually quite useful with IEMs and actually quite good quality, and allowing you to choose between two different processing algorithms. Speaking of options, PlayerPro's options are second to none, and my testing has shown me their (upsampling) setting of 48khz SoX Resampler, no dithering and 32-bit output to have the best fidelity. It also has options to auto-stop on headset disconnect and auto-resume on plug-in, though resuming also necessitates pressing the wake-up button. Its' navigation is my favorite I've ever tried bar-none! You can simply navigate to any directory where your music is stored, then it will automatically play-through the current and all adjacent and sub-folders, in the correct order, and ALWAYS resumes precisely where you left off to the same second within the same track, regardless of whether you've closed the app, rebooted, etc. :) It also boasts options to sort via artists, albums, genres, folders, and allows you to add favorite songs to custom playlists.

My main reason for going with this app was because of sound quality. Extensive testing I had done using the same loop of a well mastered lossless song on both good headphones and earphones with this DAP had shown me that the SQ of PlayerPro is at least 95 if not 99% as good as the included player. I also compared these to the Poweramp player which actually is compatible with the DP X1A, however multiple A/B tests have shown me that the sound quality Poweramp puts out is GREATLY inferior to both the PlayerPro and the internal players (don't recall the precise differences but it was something on the order of less detailed, less dynamic, etc.). I also tried the Winamp app but don't recommend it due to extremely minimal functions.

6eRfMswSlM-D1RblPhAO0UqtAG8fi7Vdi8Mp8bAMAaA2Q32B9ZI1ki22_IzWSZM0pBA=h900
KfPZSlYElFDRYVEDV38S0egCxsjYu__7TJ_Akn34Dbqre3XjETrqAiU5CPjHs-dCRNU=h900

(not my presets, LOL)
Qvted0O6Lh8uuX-rsj5OSHAWlCPiCMpi_nPLWiVJNUgbYpHrVXOLsaUwp5qJ9U-ntuA=h900-rw

Next I'll list the negatives - having already used this app for several months I've noticed a few hiccups: The physical seek / navigate within track buttons are not compatible with this app, so you're left with only navigating within the touch screen (though for me I've come to realise this method is more intuitive anyway). For file types it plays everything except DSD & MQA. I've had no problem with that personally, being able to simply alternate between this and the built-in players when I want to hear DSD tracks; preserving both playlists. For playlists it either doesn't have an export feature, or I haven't figured out how to use that yet, but at least I can favorite my tracks from a playlist within the app.

Finally I want to bring to light a "hiss" issue that I've been noticing. I'm actually not sure if this is caused by the PlayerPro app, file types or this DAP itself, but when using either the "normal" or "high" gain settings, I often but not always hear a sort of hissing sound during semi-quiet parts of the songs. It seems to be a software issue either in this app or its' settings, or an issue with the DAC section itself of the DP X1A - that is, rather than the amp section because when a song is paused the hiss disappears. It is also not part of the song itself which shows a black background when played on other systems. Further testing is required to get to the root of this issue, but the issue seems to be very recording-dependent and is noticeable less often. Does anyone else notice this same issue, whether using the built in player or an external app? If so, which file types do you notice it with?

Nevertheless this has become my go-to player and I don't want to replace it.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #14,992 of 16,326
I've tried the DX200 and it sounds virtually identical. What I was implying is that the DP-X1A is about as far as you can get with their class of Sabre DACs. You need to move up to a higher-end chip (like the AK4490) to get more. (In this case more refinement and definition.)

That's either your iems is not resolving enough to hear a difference, try a Final Audio FI-BA-SS, Audio Technica CK100pro or Fitears on your Onkyo and compare it with Opus #2 and you will understand why I say Onkyo Sabre implementation is inferior.

Oct 2, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #14,993 of 16,326
That's either your iems is not resolving enough to hear a difference, try a Final Audio FI-BA-SS, Audio Technica CK100pro or Fitears on your Onkyo and compare it with Opus #2 and you will understand why I say Onkyo Sabre implementation is inferior.

No thanks, I auditioned it with my JH Lolas and they're plenty resolving. Sonically the DP-1XA is virtually identical to the DX200 (though admittedly not as "pretty"). For your benefit I even went back and re-read my notes on it, just to confirm my impressions at the time.

You can say whatever you want, but if you're hearing such a vast difference, as you claim, that's your cognitive bias showing, because it isn't in the actual hardware.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #14,994 of 16,326
No thanks, I auditioned it with my JH Lolas and they're plenty resolving. Sonically the DP-1XA is virtually identical to the DX200 (though admittedly not as "pretty"). For your benefit I even went back and re-read my notes on it, just to confirm my impressions at the time.

You can say whatever you want, but if you're hearing such a vast difference, as you claim, that's your cognitive bias showing, because it isn't in the actual hardware.

Many like you seems to think all Sabre ES9018 sounds the same, but that not the case.
My friend also using a Onkyo and after hearing my Opus #2, she too comment it is better sounding compared to Onkyo. She bring in Opus #2 in her shop to sell, she owns a audio shop here and that is how good the Opus #2 is.

Oct 2, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #14,995 of 16,326
Many like you seems to think all Sabre ES9018 sounds the same, but that not the case.

Now you're going to tell me I said things that I didn't say (that all Sabre ES9018 rigs sound the same), as well? I've been polite during this, even when you started with the mocking "LOL" garbage then doubled-down by yelling at me, and kept yammering in a condescending tone, trying to bully me into changing my opinion.

I've had enough of it. By now someone should have informed you that type of behavior isn't fit for productive, adult conversation (which is what I've always thought Head-Fi is for). Good-bye.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #14,996 of 16,326
Now you're going to tell me I said things that I didn't say (that all Sabre ES9018 rigs sound the same), as well? I've been polite during this, even when you started with the mocking "LOL" garbage then doubled-down by yelling at me, and kept yammering in a condescending tone, trying to bully me into changing my opinion.

I've had enough of it. By now someone should have informed you that type of behavior isn't fit for productive, adult conversation (which is what I've always thought Head-Fi is for). Good-bye.
I don't think Onkyo is as good sounding Sabre implementation that's all, since when I yelling at you?
I just does not agree with you Onkyo sounds as good as other DAPs using Sabre, is this considered bullying?

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #14,997 of 16,326
FWIW, I tried the Opus DAP line-up earlier this year at CanJam in L.A. While it was a very brief, indirect comparison, I remember vividly being underwhelmed by the Opus offerings, and the DP-X1A at the Pioneer table impressing more than any DAP there; either the Opus didn't synergise well with the earphones I tried it with, or it just didn't do fidelity on the same level. Others seemed impressed with it though, and at least it was a cut above the newest FiiO X5 version.

Any takers for my question in the long post above?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #14,998 of 16,326
This is still my biggest issue with my DPX1A which keeps me looking at other DAPs. The music player never resumes or remembers the last song or playlist after power down! :rage::rolling_eyes:
The younger brother Onyko DP-S1 will remember the song last play after turnning off. LOL

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #14,999 of 16,326
That's funny mine remembers, check your settings. I have the DP-X1 original and have no issues.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #15,000 of 16,326
Lucky for you on anyone reading this, I've already found a good solution earlier this year. After at least a full day experimenting and trying other music players on the DP X1A, I settled on the PlayerPro from Blaston. It's a free player and they may have had an add on for $5 (though I don't recall). You can download it from http://aplayerpro.com/ or the G-Play store. Be sure to also download the DSP Widget pack and follow the instructions, which enables a 10-band EQ as well as both a stereo virtualizer and bass boost knob, both of which are actually quite useful with IEMs and actually quite good quality, and allowing you to choose between two different processing algorithms. Speaking of options, PlayerPro's options are second to none, and my testing has shown me their (upsampling) setting of 48khz SoX Resampler, no dithering and 32-bit output to have the best fidelity. It also has options to auto-stop on headset disconnect and auto-resume on plug-in, though resuming also necessitates pressing the wake-up button. Its' navigation is my favorite I've ever tried bar-none! You can simply navigate to any directory where your music is stored, then it will automatically play-through the current and all adjacent and sub-folders, in the correct order, and ALWAYS resumes precisely where you left off to the same second within the same track, regardless of whether you've closed the app, rebooted, etc. :) It also boasts options to sort via artists, albums, genres, folders, and allows you to add favorite songs to custom playlists.

My main reason for going with this app was because of sound quality. Extensive testing I had done using the same loop of a well mastered lossless song on both good headphones and earphones with this DAP had shown me that the SQ of PlayerPro is at least 95 if not 99% as good as the included player. I also compared these to the Poweramp player which actually is compatible with the DP X1A, however multiple A/B tests have shown me that the sound quality Poweramp puts out is GREATLY inferior to both the PlayerPro and the internal players (don't recall the precise differences but it was something on the order of less detailed, less dynamic, etc.). I also tried the Winamp app but don't recommend it due to extremely minimal functions.

6eRfMswSlM-D1RblPhAO0UqtAG8fi7Vdi8Mp8bAMAaA2Q32B9ZI1ki22_IzWSZM0pBA=h900
KfPZSlYElFDRYVEDV38S0egCxsjYu__7TJ_Akn34Dbqre3XjETrqAiU5CPjHs-dCRNU=h900

(not my presets, LOL)
Qvted0O6Lh8uuX-rsj5OSHAWlCPiCMpi_nPLWiVJNUgbYpHrVXOLsaUwp5qJ9U-ntuA=h900-rw

Next I'll list the negatives - having already used this app for several months I've noticed a few hiccups: The physical seek / navigate within track buttons are not compatible with this app, so you're left with only navigating within the touch screen (though for me I've come to realise this method is more intuitive anyway). For file types it plays everything except DSD & MQA. I've had no problem with that personally, being able to simply alternate between this and the built-in players when I want to hear DSD tracks; preserving both playlists. For playlists it either doesn't have an export feature, or I haven't figured out how to use that yet, but at least I can favorite my tracks from a playlist within the app.

Finally I want to bring to light a "hiss" issue that I've been noticing. I'm actually not sure if this is caused by the PlayerPro app, file types or this DAP itself, but when using either the "normal" or "high" gain settings, I often but not always hear a sort of hissing sound during semi-quiet parts of the songs. It seems to be a software issue either in this app or its' settings, or an issue with the DAC section itself of the DP X1A - that is, rather than the amp section because when a song is paused the hiss disappears. It is also not part of the song itself which shows a black background when played on other systems. Further testing is required to get to the root of this issue, but the issue seems to be very recording-dependent and is noticeable less often. Does anyone else notice this same issue, whether using the built in player or an external app? If so, which file types do you notice it with?

Nevertheless this has become my go-to player and I don't want to replace it.

Thank you for your suggestion and detail review of this player!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back