ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Oct 2, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #15,002 of 16,326
Lucky for you on anyone reading this, I've already found a good solution earlier this year. After at least a full day experimenting and trying other music players on the DP X1A, I settled on the PlayerPro from Blaston. It's a free player and they may have had an add on for $5 (though I don't recall). You can download it from http://aplayerpro.com/ or the G-Play store. Be sure to also download the DSP Widget pack and follow the instructions, which enables a 10-band EQ as well as both a stereo virtualizer and bass boost knob, both of which are actually quite useful with IEMs and actually quite good quality, and allowing you to choose between two different processing algorithms. Speaking of options, PlayerPro's options are second to none, and my testing has shown me their (upsampling) setting of 48khz SoX Resampler, no dithering and 32-bit output to have the best fidelity. It also has options to auto-stop on headset disconnect and auto-resume on plug-in, though resuming also necessitates pressing the wake-up button. Its' navigation is my favorite I've ever tried bar-none! You can simply navigate to any directory where your music is stored, then it will automatically play-through the current and all adjacent and sub-folders, in the correct order, and ALWAYS resumes precisely where you left off to the same second within the same track, regardless of whether you've closed the app, rebooted, etc. :) It also boasts options to sort via artists, albums, genres, folders, and allows you to add favorite songs to custom playlists.

My main reason for going with this app was because of sound quality. Extensive testing I had done using the same loop of a well mastered lossless song on both good headphones and earphones with this DAP had shown me that the SQ of PlayerPro is at least 95 if not 99% as good as the included player. I also compared these to the Poweramp player which actually is compatible with the DP X1A, however multiple A/B tests have shown me that the sound quality Poweramp puts out is GREATLY inferior to both the PlayerPro and the internal players (don't recall the precise differences but it was something on the order of less detailed, less dynamic, etc.). I also tried the Winamp app but don't recommend it due to extremely minimal functions.

6eRfMswSlM-D1RblPhAO0UqtAG8fi7Vdi8Mp8bAMAaA2Q32B9ZI1ki22_IzWSZM0pBA=h900
KfPZSlYElFDRYVEDV38S0egCxsjYu__7TJ_Akn34Dbqre3XjETrqAiU5CPjHs-dCRNU=h900

(not my presets, LOL)
Qvted0O6Lh8uuX-rsj5OSHAWlCPiCMpi_nPLWiVJNUgbYpHrVXOLsaUwp5qJ9U-ntuA=h900-rw

Next I'll list the negatives - having already used this app for several months I've noticed a few hiccups: The physical seek / navigate within track buttons are not compatible with this app, so you're left with only navigating within the touch screen (though for me I've come to realise this method is more intuitive anyway). For file types it plays everything except DSD & MQA. I've had no problem with that personally, being able to simply alternate between this and the built-in players when I want to hear DSD tracks; preserving both playlists. For playlists it either doesn't have an export feature, or I haven't figured out how to use that yet, but at least I can favorite my tracks from a playlist within the app.

Finally I want to bring to light a "hiss" issue that I've been noticing. I'm actually not sure if this is caused by the PlayerPro app, file types or this DAP itself, but when using either the "normal" or "high" gain settings, I often but not always hear a sort of hissing sound during semi-quiet parts of the songs. It seems to be a software issue either in this app or its' settings, or an issue with the DAC section itself of the DP X1A - that is, rather than the amp section because when a song is paused the hiss disappears. It is also not part of the song itself which shows a black background when played on other systems. Further testing is required to get to the root of this issue, but the issue seems to be very recording-dependent and is noticeable less often. Does anyone else notice this same issue, whether using the built in player or an external app? If so, which file types do you notice it with?

Nevertheless this has become my go-to player and I don't want to replace it.

Check your pre-amp settings on Player Pro, you may be ovesaturating the amplifier.

Oct 2, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #15,003 of 16,326
Oct 4, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #15,006 of 16,326
Hi Guys, long time owner of the DX P1. The 2.5mm balanced jack has come out. What are the options to repair it? I got this from pricejapan.

Got the same problem yesterday. Top part of balanced jack (metal ring and part of plastic - about 4mm) broke apart of jack. Glued with super glue. Will see if it will last. Hope so. Jacks - main bad issue of DPX1.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #15,007 of 16,326
Hi Guys, long time owner of the DX P1. The 2.5mm balanced jack has come out. What are the options to repair it? I got this from pricejapan.

A pcb photo for your reference. The bass ring is used for strength the jack. The Jack component is soldered to pcb.

Screenshot_20171004-143114.png

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #15,008 of 16,326
My friends DP-X1's 3.5jack have loosened so badly that the device thought the 3.5 is unplugged... I guess it is the "tunnel constant". Luckly The DP-X1 offers an 2.5 that is tighter due to less usage... Convert your iem to 2.5 balanced and you are ready to go, milk more juice out of the DP-X1 before the 2.5 dies. Then you will realize, maybe its time for an upgrade....

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #15,009 of 16,326
My friends DP-X1's 3.5jack have loosened so badly that the device thought the 3.5 is unplugged... I guess it is the "tunnel constant". Luckly The DP-X1 offers an 2.5 that is tighter due to less usage... Convert your iem to 2.5 balanced and you are ready to go, milk more juice out of the DP-X1 before the 2.5 dies. Then you will realize, maybe its time for an upgrade....
That's precisely what I've done to preserve the DP-X1A. And when it's at my desk for 'speaker duties' I try to leave in the 3.5mm cable with removing it seldom as possible. Another thought is to try out other headphone cables because occasionally you may get one that is perhaps a nanometer wider

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #15,011 of 16,326
20171004_102747.jpg My 2.5 jack bit the dust a month ago. The unit is back in Japan getting repaired (I bought it through a reseller who, very graciously, is handling the warranty repair). When it returns, the "dongle" you see will be the only plug I ever insert in the 2.5 mm jack. I won't take it out.

I hope this fixes the durability problem. To take it a step further, I'm think about 3D printing a cover for the male end of the dongle to make it's contact with the top plate of the Onkyo larger so bending stresses get transmitted to the plate more than the jack.

That I would go to these lengths speaks to the sound quality of the DP-X1. That I have to do yells at the bad design of the jacks. We shouldn't have to worry about the jack, let alone dream up fancy ways of protecting it.

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #15,012 of 16,326
The internal components are identical in both DP-X1A and DP-S1 (Twin SABRE® ES9018 DACs and Twin SABRE 9601K Amplifiers) with exception of
the Nippon Chemi-Con “MELODIO” Series Based Custom Audio Grade Electro-conductive Polymer Capacitors.
Have anyone both DAPs and can compare the sound?.
I moved from DP-X1A to DP-S1. Have a little one for a month.
There is a difference in sound. Basically, X1A sounds wider with more air between instruments with a deeper bass and noticeable sub bass presence while the S1 sounds more compact with more mid bass presence, therefore it has a slightly faster attack to my ears without going that deep than the X1A. They both extract the same amount of details plus-minus , both tend to neutral-ish signature if I may say this way. I like both.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #15,013 of 16,326
I moved from DP-X1A to DP-S1. Have a little one for a month.
There is a difference in sound. Basically, X1A sounds wider with more air between instruments with a deeper bass and noticeable sub bass presence while the S1 sounds more compact with more mid bass presence, therefore it has a slightly faster attack to my ears without going that deep than the X1A. They both extract the same amount of details plus-minus , both tend to neutral-ish signature if I may say this way. I like both.

They are quite similar design. But the bigger one use larger amplifier components so sound stage and density is better.

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #15,014 of 16,326
Pioneer just come out a flagship SACD player. The D/A sections it used two ESS Sabre 9026 Pro doing fully balanced design. I think the basic for our future dp-x2 design.

h.jpg

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #15,015 of 16,326
Pioneer just come out a flagship SACD player. The D/A sections it used two ESS Sabre 9026 Pro doing fully balanced design. I think the basic for our future dp-x2 design.

I see a bunch of on-line references to the ES9028PRO & ES9038PRO, but not to the ES9026PRO - is that an OEM model?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back