ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Oct 4, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #15,017 of 16,326
My 2.5 jack bit the dust a month ago. The unit is back in Japan getting repaired (I bought it through a reseller who, very graciously, is handling the warranty repair). When it returns, the "dongle" you see will be the only plug I ever insert in the 2.5 mm jack. I won't take it out.

I hope this fixes the durability problem. To take it a step further, I'm think about 3D printing a cover for the male end of the dongle to make it's contact with the top plate of the Onkyo larger so bending stresses get transmitted to the plate more than the jack.

That I would go to these lengths speaks to the sound quality of the DP-X1. That I have to do yells at the bad design of the jacks. We shouldn't have to worry about the jack, let alone dream up fancy ways of protecting it.
Where did you buy the "dongle"?. I could not find a short 2.5 to 2.5 TRRS extender.

Oct 4, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #15,019 of 16,326
Oct 4, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #15,020 of 16,326
Oct 4, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #15,021 of 16,326
I bought the KV connection adapter first. It's stiff, meaning it can apply a pretty strong bending force to the jack, and poorly made. That said, if someone wants one that was only used for a day and at half the listed price, let me know. Happy to sell it.
While not the most supple cables, the ones I've bought from them weren't poorly made, they're just plain. You likely could have gotten them to send you a replacement.

Oct 5, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #15,023 of 16,326
If the Pioneer design of dual Sabre 9026 can be taken for a DAP use, I think Onkyo/Pioneer next flagship DAP can challenge the USD2000+ flagship market like the AK sp1000 , Sony wm1z.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #15,024 of 16,326
News. Audio Technica just released its balanced cables in 2.5 format. For its 2016 or after models using the A2DC connector on earphone/headphone side.

press3_thumb.jpg

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #15,027 of 16,326
Lucky for you on anyone reading this, I've already found a good solution earlier this year. After at least a full day experimenting and trying other music players on the DP X1A, I settled on the PlayerPro from Blaston. It's a free player and they may have had an add on for $5 (though I don't recall). You can download it from http://aplayerpro.com/ or the G-Play store. Be sure to also download the DSP Widget pack and follow the instructions, which enables a 10-band EQ as well as both a stereo virtualizer and bass boost knob, both of which are actually quite useful with IEMs and actually quite good quality, and allowing you to choose between two different processing algorithms. Speaking of options, PlayerPro's options are second to none, and my testing has shown me their (upsampling) setting of 48khz SoX Resampler, no dithering and 32-bit output to have the best fidelity. It also has options to auto-stop on headset disconnect and auto-resume on plug-in, though resuming also necessitates pressing the wake-up button. Its' navigation is my favorite I've ever tried bar-none! You can simply navigate to any directory where your music is stored, then it will automatically play-through the current and all adjacent and sub-folders, in the correct order, and ALWAYS resumes precisely where you left off to the same second within the same track, regardless of whether you've closed the app, rebooted, etc. :) It also boasts options to sort via artists, albums, genres, folders, and allows you to add favorite songs to custom playlists.

My main reason for going with this app was because of sound quality. Extensive testing I had done using the same loop of a well mastered lossless song on both good headphones and earphones with this DAP had shown me that the SQ of PlayerPro is at least 95 if not 99% as good as the included player. I also compared these to the Poweramp player which actually is compatible with the DP X1A, however multiple A/B tests have shown me that the sound quality Poweramp puts out is GREATLY inferior to both the PlayerPro and the internal players (don't recall the precise differences but it was something on the order of less detailed, less dynamic, etc.). I also tried the Winamp app but don't recommend it due to extremely minimal functions.

6eRfMswSlM-D1RblPhAO0UqtAG8fi7Vdi8Mp8bAMAaA2Q32B9ZI1ki22_IzWSZM0pBA=h900
KfPZSlYElFDRYVEDV38S0egCxsjYu__7TJ_Akn34Dbqre3XjETrqAiU5CPjHs-dCRNU=h900

(not my presets, LOL)
Qvted0O6Lh8uuX-rsj5OSHAWlCPiCMpi_nPLWiVJNUgbYpHrVXOLsaUwp5qJ9U-ntuA=h900-rw

Next I'll list the negatives - having already used this app for several months I've noticed a few hiccups: The physical seek / navigate within track buttons are not compatible with this app, so you're left with only navigating within the touch screen (though for me I've come to realise this method is more intuitive anyway). For file types it plays everything except DSD & MQA. I've had no problem with that personally, being able to simply alternate between this and the built-in players when I want to hear DSD tracks; preserving both playlists. For playlists it either doesn't have an export feature, or I haven't figured out how to use that yet, but at least I can favorite my tracks from a playlist within the app.

Finally I want to bring to light a "hiss" issue that I've been noticing. I'm actually not sure if this is caused by the PlayerPro app, file types or this DAP itself, but when using either the "normal" or "high" gain settings, I often but not always hear a sort of hissing sound during semi-quiet parts of the songs. It seems to be a software issue either in this app or its' settings, or an issue with the DAC section itself of the DP X1A - that is, rather than the amp section because when a song is paused the hiss disappears. It is also not part of the song itself which shows a black background when played on other systems. Further testing is required to get to the root of this issue, but the issue seems to be very recording-dependent and is noticeable less often. Does anyone else notice this same issue, whether using the built in player or an external app? If so, which file types do you notice it with?

Nevertheless this has become my go-to player and I don't want to replace it.

Looks like they final fixed that issue. :sob: Music v1.7.2.

Oct 7, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #15,029 of 16,326
Good news:

Mod version of dpx1 dpx1a dps1 are found in HK (also repair of jack and change of larger battery)

So let the legend continues.....

Oct 7, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #15,030 of 16,326
Because the dpx1/a 300r is quite good in design and choosing of components. The basic mod is only the shielding part.

As pictured.

20121575_460029917727107_2915454055684289354_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back