ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 12, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #9,137 of 16,326
Was too scared to root it due to potentially not being able to update it. But I've already returned mine sorry. I'm sure the issues will be resolved soon though. Especially since a lot of people are posting on onkyos forums now.

Sure, steps as follows - rooted via kingroot, downloaded and installed busy box, downloaded and installed selinuxmode changer, changed mode to permissive, downloaded and installed viper4audio, downloaded custom irs file for my iems, set up and installed, disabled nuplayer and using awesomeplayer, downloaded build.prop editor, added af.resampler.quality=4 at the end of the build.prop, profit.

Have had no issues and significantly difference in washing machine issue. Good luck!

-Dirk

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #9,138 of 16,326
I think I need to pursue a warranty claim for two issues: Bluetooth cutouts and poor battery life. I'm only getting 5 hours in balanced mode using HE400i cans and playing FLAC files with Onkyo music app in airplane mode and screen off.

I purchased my DPX1 through Amazon in the United States, and it was supplied directly from Onkyo. Hower, I have since relocated to the UK. Will this create a problem getting service from Onkyo? Some companies such as Sony only provide warranty service for items still in the same country they were purchased.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #9,140 of 16,326
Sure, steps as follows - rooted via kingroot, downloaded and installed busy box, downloaded and installed selinuxmode changer, changed mode to permissive, downloaded and installed viper4audio, downloaded custom irs file for my iems, set up and installed, disabled nuplayer and using awesomeplayer, downloaded build.prop editor, added af.resampler.quality=4 at the end of the build.prop, profit.

Have had no issues and significantly difference in washing machine issue. Good luck!

-Dirk

Thanks Dirk!

I'm gonna follow this later and see if I can reduce the washing machine sounds.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #9,141 of 16,326
Guys should I get this DAP? I know the sound quality is superb but reading all these comments looks like it has alot of problems. What do you think? 

It's a hard question as the inconsistency of the feedback is very high. Personally, I'm well pleased with it. I have my gripes but they are minor and mostly relate to the form factor, which the new case on the way should help ease. Others have had major issues. I would say, find someone with your same iems or cans and see what they think, and if good feedback, buy fro, a seller with a good return policy just in case.

Also, save some money and get the pioneer if you won't be using the balanced option. Basically exact same kit otherwise.

Good luck and leave your thoughts if you do end up getting it!

-Dirk

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #9,143 of 16,326
It's a hard question as the inconsistency of the feedback is very high. Personally, I'm well pleased with it. I have my gripes but they are minor and mostly relate to the form factor, which the new case on the way should help ease. Others have had major issues. I would say, find someone with your same iems or cans and see what they think, and if good feedback, buy fro, a seller with a good return policy just in case.

Also, save some money and get the pioneer if you won't be using the balanced option. Basically exact same kit otherwise.

Good luck and leave your thoughts if you do end up getting it!

-Dirk

Thanks for the reply, but I am seeing alot washing machine sound problems among other things. Do I have to root the DAP? Is there a guide? I use triplefi10 as my iem and have a 650 but doubtful the DP X 1 is gonna push it. 

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #9,144 of 16,326
Did you try it with a third party player? I couldn't get V4A to impact the sound on the native app, but works using any others.

-Dirk

I'm talking about Alsa mixer. Even though I do notice that v4a disrupts the audio if used with the stock player. It's not like I need v4a though. Not a big fan of audio manipulation through software. I like to keep the signal as clean as possible.

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #9,145 of 16,326
I think he meant that you might find that ALSAmixer also only affects third party music apps and I agree.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 13, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #9,147 of 16,326
  Guys should I get this DAP? I know the sound quality is superb but reading all these comments looks like it has alot of problems. What do you think? 

Hey there Chee006, i figured this video may come in handy for your decision on the whole Rooting look or even the player itself. 

(DISCLAIMER) - im aware this is a forum post related to the ONKYO DAP however, i figured id post the video as people might want a better look at the interface before deciding if they wanted to root their device or consider the Pioneer option.

I really hope the video is at least some what informative to those interested and including yourself, and if needed to be removed i'll do so - please send a PM regarding this - 

- Best of luck in the choice! And i apologize for the poor color correction and all that so please disregard it and any flaws or mistakes I've made through-out the video.
PS.Video is set at 10:15 for those interested to see the entire interface.

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #9,148 of 16,326
I've copied all Dirk's steps but still get no playback with AF.resampler.quality on third party apps. Sigh!

Dirksqjaw is your SW version in the device information 0.1.30.8_20160322.215713 ? Kernel version 3.4.0?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think you could have copied ALL of Dirk's steps. :p That said, I think changing from nuplayer to awesomeplayer would be the most significant change and most likely to affect the outcome.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 13, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #9,149 of 16,326
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think you could have copied ALL of Dirk's steps.
tongue.gif
That said, I think changing from nuplayer to awesomeplayer would be the most significant change and most likely to affect the outcome.

What do you mean?

I did copy all the steps Dirk mentioned, including installing V4A and an IRS reponse... (which I didn't try until the rest didn't work). Although I used a UE900 response that I think you made Joe! Rather than whatever Dirk had used.

Absolutely changed to awesomeplayer as well and didn't help.

Am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back