ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 13, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #9,166 of 16,328
Well, I may have some nebulous knowledge of audio paths, and some common sense (mostly), but to be honest I'm not really knowledgable about Android. As I've mentioned, I don't own the DP-X1 and have posted here because of my previous interest in the DAP. I would actually defer to Joe Bloggs regarding apps and equalizers as he is much more knowledgable than I am about such things.

I consider both of you to be our resident experts; compliments! <3

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #9,167 of 16,328
There probably isn't such a method, but my knowledge in Android audio has reached its limits. Does anybody here, with sufficient knowledge on the Android operating system know how to increase the audio quality of this device (not including software equalizers and sound processors such as v4a and poweramp equalizer as they colour the sound.). I mean is there some value in mixer-paths or Alsa mixer or the kernel that one could edit with es file explorer to increase the overall quality of the sound? Yes I know that one could upgrade their transducers or add an external dac/amp or go to hi res music but I like to fiddle with what I currently have. I know there is something in the device files that could change the sound. I know it. Boeffla sound was an example of this but it isn't compatible with this device. I'm willing to donate $10 through PayPal to the person who finds a solution outside of digital processors and equalizers. It should he a noticeable effect also. Not just a placebo.

IMHO you're trying to have your cake and eat it too, or you are effectively asking for / hoping for something that changes your audio signal for the "better"... without telling you that it is changing your audio signal or how it is doing so... or something that tells you it is "purifying" your audio signal without really doing much of anything. It seems that desire for such magical products has driven the market for countless sham audio products over the years :rolleyes: No offence...

Unless you're just trying to boost volume... in which case V4A can be configured to simply boost master volume by up to 6dB by unchecking all items except "Master Power" and setting Output Gain at the bottom (in Expert UI mode--menu->UI setting->Expert to enable) to up to 6.0dB. It may not be able to reach into the device and change that analog gain setting... but then nothing may be able to do that. Right now we have good reason to suspect that even the built in "high gain" setting of the player itself is nothing more than digital gain... (the washing machine sounds start when you engage high gain and go away when you engage low gain...)

If you like the result of that and hunger for more, you can apply the following Impulse Response which does nothing except boost volume by 10.5dB: https://www.dropbox.com/s/owcnsd1ln34dij1/10.5dB%20gain.irs?dl=0

I don't expect these tweaks to do much of anything if brickwalled modern pop music isn't loud enough for you, but quietly mastered classical music should benefit, with a few of the loudest peaks slightly compressed if you have the device master volume turned near max. Viper applies studio-grade limiting to signals going past digital maximum so in the case of extreme clipping, you would hear volume pumping rather than hard distortion.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 13, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #9,168 of 16,328
IMHO you're trying to have your cake and eat it too, or you are effectively asking for / hoping for something that changes your audio signal for the "better"... without telling you that it is changing your audio signal or how it is doing so... or something that tells you it is "purifying" your audio signal without really doing much of anything. It seems that desire for such magical products has driven the market for countless sham audio products over the years :rolleyes: No offence...

Unless you're just trying to boost volume... in which case V4A can be configured to simply boost master volume by up to 6dB by unchecking all items except "Master Power" and setting Output Gain at the bottom (in Expert UI mode--menu->UI setting->Expert to enable) to up to 6.0dB. It may not be able to reach into the device and change that analog gain setting... but then nothing may be able to do that. Right now we have good reason to suspect that even the built in "high gain" setting of the player itself is nothing more than digital gain... (the washing machine sounds start when you engage high gain and go away when you engage low gain...)

If you like the result of that and hunger for more, you can apply the following Impulse Response which does nothing except boost volume by 10.5dB: https://www.dropbox.com/s/owcnsd1ln34dij1/10.5dB%20gain.irs?dl=0

I don't expect these tweaks to do much of anything if brickwalled modern pop music isn't loud enough for you, but quietly mastered classical music should benefit, with a few of the loudest peaks slightly compressed if you have the device master volume turned near max. Viper applies studio-grade limiting to signals going past digital maximum so in the case of extreme clipping, you would hear volume pumping rather than hard distortion.

Joe you must be mistaken. What you are referring is a tweak or MOD(or product in other audio applications outside of this instance) that in truth has no effect but advertises one. As stated in my post, that wasn't what I was wanting. What I want is a tweak that improves the audio quality while leaving the signal as clean and true to the original as possible. This could be by most likely by modifyings some value in the system/kernel coding. I appreciate you mentioning v4a but as stated in my previous post I'd like to keep the tweak out of software audio processors.. And above all else, I also stated that there probably isn't such a thing. But thank you for your time anyway. I'm not trying to be rude but an "I don't know" would have sufficed.

Jun 13, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #9,169 of 16,328
I am sorry guys, there is something I have not posted that is very important regarding the Onkyo DP-X1.

Onkyo UK contacted some weeks back on a matter I cannot discuss here, but I found out something very important regarding build quality and QC.

Basically, Japanese DP-X1 had high failure rates. Almost all early units are affected.
The jack, esp the 2.5 mm, has a weakened plastic housing.
Onkyo at one point this year stopped production (do not know exactly when).
Onkyo retooled and re-strengthened the plastic housing in both jacks.

The new DP-X1 was made available around the time international (read US) units were made physical available by Onkyo US (via Amazon first).
Every territory will have these newer versions, except old-new-stock (I do not know how you can find out what version you might have if you buy from a Japanese shop, sorry. For legitimate, authorised international Onkyo distributors, you will have the new units).

I cannot reveal anything further, so I leave it up to yourselves to make your own opinion about this.

I did originally thought not to post anything, but I can post this much.

One further thing I will say, Onkyo is listening. They are really, really listening.

Email or talk to them too.

They want DP-X1 to be a success, so feedback is crucial.
This QC change is an example of this.

Thanks for reading.

[Edited to make clearer some points and fix English errors].

I just received mine from B & H Photo last week. Should I assume that mine has the better jacks? I've also noticed that Moon Audio and Crutchfield (all US Retailers) just got these in stock.

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #9,170 of 16,328
I just received mine from B & H Photo last week. Should I assume that mine has the better jacks? I've also noticed that Moon Audio and Crutchfield (all US Retailers) just got these in stock.

If B&H Photo are official Onkyo distributors (which I am almost sure they are), then yes, you will most likely have the newer better built DP-X1.
Bear in mind, none of the older built DP-X1 has been officially sent to international dealers. That pause and restart in manufacturing is key to understand.

Onkyo wanted to resolve an issue before the DP-X1 was released internationally, so unless an international shop imported older batches of DP-X1, every newer built DP-X1 was and is being sent to Onkyo distributors (Japan and internationally).

In Japan, it's the same story, new units are sent to distributors, except some (or many) brick-and-mortor shops might have older batches.

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #9,172 of 16,328
Were any software changes made or was it just the headphone jack they fixed?

As far as I know, Onkyo's biggest priority was a hardware build fix, to massively reduce RMA and broken units.

I do not believe any major software changes occurred, which could be done via firmware or App updates at later dates anyway.

Jun 13, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #9,173 of 16,328
I'm glad I sold mine when it was perfect. I should contact the buyer and see if he had any issues with it.

Jun 13, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #9,174 of 16,328
As far as I know, Onkyo's biggest priority was a hardware build fix, to massively reduce RMA and broken units.

I do not believe any major software changes occurred, which could be done via firmware or App updates at later dates anyway.

Hopefully they come up with those easy software updates soon because it's making a lot of owners sell their devices and move on.

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #9,175 of 16,328
If B&H Photo are official Onkyo distributors (which I am almost sure they are), then yes, you will most likely have the newer better built DP-X1.
Bear in mind, none of the older built DP-X1 has been officially sent to international dealers. That pause and restart in manufacturing is key to understand.

Onkyo wanted to resolve an issue before the DP-X1 was released internationally, so unless an international shop imported older batches of DP-X1, every newer built DP-X1 was and is being sent to Onkyo distributors (Japan and internationally).

In Japan, it's the same story, new units are sent to distributors, except some (or many) brick-and-mortor shops might have older batches.

is there anyway to tell by serial number whether it is newer production or older batches that have hardware (headphone jack)issue.Thanks

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #9,176 of 16,328
Joe you must be mistaken. What you are referring is a tweak or MOD(or product in other audio applications outside of this instance) that in truth has no effect but advertises one. As stated in my post, that wasn't what I was wanting. What I want is a tweak that improves the audio quality while leaving the signal as clean and true to the original as possible. This could be by most likely by modifyings some value in the system/kernel coding. I appreciate you mentioning v4a but as stated in my previous post I'd like to keep the tweak out of software audio processors.. And above all else, I also stated that there probably isn't such a thing. But thank you for your time anyway. I'm not trying to be rude but an "I don't know" would have sufficed.

Ok I'll give another try

You said ALSAmixer isn't doing anything for you--are you changing the values in ALSAmixer
-while music is playing
-in a 3rd party app?
-if using Poweramp, disable Direct Volume control and use AudioTrack or OpenSL output (for alpha)

?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 14, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #9,177 of 16,328
After reading posts regarding the sampling quality set to 4, it's odd that I have a totally different effect.

It plays fine in original Music app and Pioneer app.

Also 3rd party players like Neutron and Foobar plays with any problem.

My only problem is when connecting to my amp through bluetooth, the original Music app and Pioneer app cannot start playing.

Neutron and Foobar plays fine with connection to my amp through bluetooth.

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #9,178 of 16,328
Just a thought, but now that the DP-X1 is available in all Onkyo based territories, for those who are having issues (software or otherwise), have you contacted Onkyo in your territory (Onkyo EU, UK, US, etc)?

Email, tweet, phone them.

Forum only is one thing, but direct communication with the manufacturer might help.

That's a big hint guys...

(The Onkyo Twitter team are cool people too).

^^

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #9,179 of 16,328

Nice post!

Btw, what version of the Audeze EL-8 did you use, the 2015 or 2016 version (check your certificate of authenticity; if it's dated after Nov 2015, it's the new 2016 version).

Regarding balanced modes:

1. BTL:
    1x DAC/channel, 1x Amp/channel
  2. Active Control Ground (ACG):
    1x DAC/channel, 1x Amp for ground (0v), 1x Amp for L & R channels

^^

Mine 2015 version, but I got new cable with better fit.
Anyway, strange that in ACG mode so significant drop down in sound volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back