ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 13, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #9,151 of 16,328
And after fiddling around with a bunch of build.prop editors I seem to have deleted my build.prop file and now can't boot up my dp-x1. 

Latest OTA update rom I can' find on the internet is 1.28 and it won't let me install this since it's older than my current build... 

Anyone know what I can do?

Jun 13, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #9,152 of 16,328
And after fiddling around with a bunch of build.prop editors I seem to have deleted my build.prop file and now can't boot up my dp-x1. 

Latest OTA update rom I can' find on the internet is 1.28 and it won't let me install this since it's older than my current build... 

Is there a version newer than 1.28 that you can try? Maybe someone here can find or get that build for you.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #9,154 of 16,328
Some measurements of output volume on headphones with different output on the same track.
Gain - High.
Output level - dial at 120.
Headphones - Audeze EL 8 with balanced and SE cable.

SE gives - max 48db
Balanced - max 52db
ACG - max 46db

Strange, that ACG output it is much less than Balanced and even SE.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #9,155 of 16,328
Just want to throw my hat into the game.  I never hear distortion on low gain.  On high gain / acg / balanced out / volume at 5, I can definitely hear the static and distortion playing in 3rd party apps.  I never hear this distortion with low gain and higher volumes.  It is probably there, but I can't audibly hear it.

I also cannot for the life of me get af.resampler.quality=4 to work.  If that setting is in there at all, 3rd party apps will crash, not play sound, or tell me that the media server cannot be reached.  This is on both awesomeplayer and nuplayer.  I am rooted and I've done all of the steps.  Set SELinux to permissive, I have busybox pro installed, I installed V4A.  The af.resampler.quality=4 line is the part that causes it to crash.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #9,156 of 16,328
I've copied all Dirk's steps but still get no playback with AF.resampler.quality on third party apps. Sigh!

@Dirksqjaw is your SW version in the device information 0.1.30.8_20160322.215713 ? Kernel version 3.4.0?

I have the exact same SW version / kernel version / build number.  I've done everything in Dirk's post, and af.resampler.quality=4 definitely still crashes 3rd party apps.

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #9,157 of 16,328
I would just leave it if the distortion isn't there on low gain. Since there isn't a working ROM image to revert to if you screw things up, as numerous posters already have, you would have no choice but to send your player back to Japan for repair if bad things happen.

The symptoms do not in any case sound like a classic case of resampler quality problem. My classic test is the two sweep files on this site
http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/audio-resampler-quality-android-builds-t3325779

Download the two files onto the Onkyo and listen to them on a third party player set to play through the Android sound system resampling, e.g. old (non-alpha) Poweramp with Direct Volume Control off. Since we know the Onkyo's system sample rate is 48kHz, listen to the 48kHz flac file to get an idea of how the sine sweep should sound like, then listen to the 44.1kHz flac file and check if it sounds the same. If there's a resampling problem, the sweep should sound "wrong" no matter the volume: there would be warbling over/undertones to the sweep that are especially noticeable at the start and end of the sweep.

My other hypothesis (apart from the resampling problem hypothesis) was that the digital gain is set too high and that dithering quantization noise is amplified to audible levels as a result. The solution in that case would be to lower the digital gain, which you can apparently do by setting the readily accessible software gain switch to low (going by your report that the noise goes away then). In this case, I wouldn't say anything is really broken; if you're listening to something so sensitive that volume 5 or so is enough at high gain, you have no business using high gain in the first place and should really be using low gain.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 13, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #9,158 of 16,328

Try to factory restore the system through recovery.

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #9,159 of 16,328
Some measurements of output volume on headphones with different output on the same track.
Gain - High.
Output level - dial at 120.
Headphones - Audeze EL 8 with balanced and SE cable.

SE gives - max 48db
Balanced - max 52db
ACG - max 46db

Strange, that ACG output it is much less than Balanced and even SE.

Nice post!

Btw, what version of the Audeze EL-8 did you use, the 2015 or 2016 version (check your certificate of authenticity; if it's dated after Nov 2015, it's the new 2016 version).

Regarding balanced modes:

• BTL:
    1x DAC/channel, 1x Amp/channel
  • Active Control Ground (ACG):
    1x DAC/channel, 1x Amp for ground (0v), 1x Amp for L & R channels

^^

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #9,160 of 16,328
There probably isn't such a method, but my knowledge in Android audio has reached its limits. Does anybody here, with sufficient knowledge on the Android operating system know how to increase the audio quality of this device (not including software equalizers and sound processors such as v4a and poweramp equalizer as they colour the sound.). I mean is there some value in mixer-paths or Alsa mixer or the kernel that one could edit with es file explorer to increase the overall quality of the sound? Yes I know that one could upgrade their transducers or add an external dac/amp or go to hi res music but I like to fiddle with what I currently have. I know there is something in the device files that could change the sound. I know it. Boeffla sound was an example of this but it isn't compatible with this device. I'm willing to donate $10 through PayPal to the person who finds a solution outside of digital processors and equalizers. It should he a noticeable effect also. Not just a placebo.

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #9,161 of 16,328
I am sorry guys, there is something I have not posted that is very important regarding the Onkyo DP-X1.

Onkyo UK contacted some weeks back on a matter I cannot discuss here, but I found out something very important regarding build quality and QC.

Basically, Japanese DP-X1 had high failure rates. Almost all early units are affected.
The jack, esp the 2.5 mm, has a weakened plastic housing.
Onkyo at one point this year stopped production (do not know exactly when).
Onkyo retooled and re-strengthened the plastic housing in both jacks.

The new DP-X1 was made available around the time international (read US) units were made physical available by Onkyo US (via Amazon first).
Every territory will have these newer versions, except old-new-stock (I do not know how you can find out what version you might have if you buy from a Japanese shop, sorry. For legitimate, authorised international Onkyo distributors, you will have the new units).

I cannot reveal anything further, so I leave it up to yourselves to make your own opinion about this.

I did originally thought not to post anything, but I can post this much.

One further thing I will say, Onkyo is listening. They are really, really listening.

Email or talk to them too.

They want DP-X1 to be a success, so feedback is crucial.
This QC change is an example of this.

Thanks for reading.

[Edited to make clearer some points and fix English errors].

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #9,162 of 16,328
There probably isn't such a method, but my knowledge in Android audio has reached its limits. Does anybody here, with sufficient knowledge on the Android operating system know how to increase the audio quality of this device (not including software equalizers and sound processors such as v4a and poweramp equalizer as they colour the sound.). I mean is there some value in mixer-paths or Alsa mixer or the kernel that one could edit with es file explorer to increase the overall quality of the sound? Yes I know that one could upgrade their transducers or add an external dac/amp or go to hi res music but I like to fiddle with what I currently have. I know there is something in the device files that could change the sound. I know it. Boeffla sound was an example of this but it isn't compatible with this device. I'm willing to donate $10 through PayPal to the person who finds a solution outside of digital processors and equalizers. It should he a noticeable effect also. Not just a placebo.

x RELIC x might know, ask him ^^

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #9,163 of 16,328
Hello all.

I have owned my DP-X1 for a couple of weeks now and I am, for the most part, happy with it.

These are my experiences so far:

Its a beautiful thing to look at but its such a slippy little bugger!!! Aesthetically the clean, straight edges and simple layout are perfect but I am terrified of dropping it, there is no way those edges would survive a fall onto anything solid. So obviously a case is necessary. And a screen protector. I really like the Van Nuys case but it seems like a lot of hassle to get it ordered and shipped. I have, for the time being, bought this:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones-broadband-and-sat-nav/sat-nav/sat-nav-accessories/hama-universal-gps-sat-nav-navibag-for-4-3-5-gps-devices-18386106-pdt.html#srcid=11026
but I wish I had seen this one in store:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones-broadband-and-sat-nav/sat-nav/sat-nav-accessories/gps-sat-nav-case-for-4-3-5-tomtom-devices-19254784-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Operationally, out of the box, it was fairly straight-forward but it has become apparent that it is necessary to disable a lot of the inbuilt apps, turn off "scanning always available" in WiFi advanced settings and put the unit into "airplane mode" whilst not being used, in order to save battery, otherwise I was seeing 100%-0% in less than 8 hours. Or just turn it off altogether. I have monitored the battery and with everything in standby I get about 2% drop overnight if untouched but after use, when the battery is around the 60% level, the drop off is rapid, going from 60% to 30% in about three hours of no use then from 30% to 2% in another hour and the last 2% over the last five minutes! This I do not feel is appropriate. The graph shows a fairly even decline which I find confusing and it seems to be Android System and Android OS that are the culprits. I am going to install Better Battery Stats (or something similar) in a while and redo my tests. If I cannot find a solution I shall have to make a call to Onkyo. I shall, of course, update on the findings.

I am considering rooting the device but I will wait until there is another option other than KingRoot (then changing over to SU). However, I may go this root route so I can install the full version of Greenify to see if it helps my battery useage. Can anyone who has done this please confirm that `un-rooting` is straightforward so that firmware updates can be applied?

I have installed Nova Launcher Prime and it seems, to me, just a bit snappier in operation.

X-dap, the Onkyo music transfer app is, for me, useless. Practically every file I tried to transfer over directly to my DP-X1 was corrupted, usually a truncated file name (missing the first letter). I havent tried using the app to transfer to a card on my pc as, to be honest, it seems pointless as I may aswell just drag`n`drop if I am going to go to the trouble of taking out the card.
While we are mentioning cards, its so awkward to get the cards out unless one has long nails, I end up using the edge of a credit card but one has to be careful that the card doesnt spring out and disappear. Plus there is no weather/dust sealingcover on any description on ANY of the ports.

I have installed the Pioneer music app as well (thank you to XVortex) and I find the useability of this app slightly better. Being able to swipe across to setting and up/down for equaliser etc is just easier. Plus, I like the "Club Sound Boost" feature for a lot of my music but I understand that it may not be to everyones taste. I am sure that if I tinkered with the equaliser in the Onkyo Music app I could achieve the same and save it as a profile but the Pioneer app just gets it done.

I decided to take the plunge and purchased a set of Sennheiser IE800`s the day my Onkyo arrived. For me, portability is (was) a paramount consideration as I do a lot of hiking and camping. So small and light seemed to be the way to go.
I do find them comfortable and I have to admit to being impressed with the quality of audio these present to me. I find it very easy to drift off into the world of sound that is being delivered directly into my head but when one of my Ninja daughters taps me and I open my eyes to find her inches from my face it can be a bit of a shock!
But do I think they are worth £600? Not having anything to compare them to makes this difficult, other than my oem phone issued earphones which quite obviously sound awful in comparison... but £600? I`m not convinced. What I can say with certainty (unless anyone can tell me otherwise) is that the RCS800 cable does not work with the DP-X1, audio is fine but the remote buttons do absolutely nothing. Sennheiser tech support baffled me with stuff about three or four pin grounds and whatnot. I left the call and tried every setting on the Onkyo but to no avail, so the cable is pointless especially as its no longer than the original and I was hoping it would help in solving the IE800`s biggest downfall, the vibration noise that travels up the cable everytime it touches ones clothes (I am sure there is a techie term for that so please do let me know). This combined with the fact that the earphone section of the cable is so short (and fixed?!) and the ceramic is, like the Onkyo, so extremely slippy (which makes inserting them a chore somethimes), does make me wonder if I have been a little hasty.

I am considering a set of BluTooth over-ear headphones but can anyone tell me their (Onkyo) battery experiences using this method of connection, please? I am thinking that if the battery consumption isnt dramatically reduced by BT then reducing the problem of cable/sound/vibration transfer may be a good tradeoff? I know that they will be more bulky etc but the vibration noises can be quite frustrating at times.

So where am I? Well, the battery business is troubling me so I hope that there is a cure, somewhere, somehow. Apart from that, I love the Onkyo, as good as my home hifi is, its a different experience, a more relaxing and all encompassing feeling to just settle down and listen through the iems. If someone tells me how to get the RCS800 working I will keep it, otherwise its going back. And the IE800`s, there is no doubt they ARE great and ultra portable so they will, I think, stay but I have decided I will get some BT OE`s to try, fingers crossed.

Chris

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #9,164 of 16,328
I just did some digging and found that, while the bootloader is locked by default, it's ridiculously easy to unlock, as long as you have Android Studio and thus adb/fastboot installed.

$ ./fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader)     Device tampered: false
(bootloader)     Device unlocked: false
(bootloader)     Charger screen enabled: true
(bootloader)     Display panel: 
OKAY [  0.005s]
finished. total time: 0.005s

To unlock, simply run the "fastboot oem unlock" command

$ ./fastboot oem unlock
OKAY [  0.003s]
finished. total time: 0.003s

Recheck the device info and the bootloader is unlocked.

$ ./fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader)     Device tampered: false
(bootloader)     Device unlocked: true
(bootloader)     Charger screen enabled: true
(bootloader)     Display panel: 
OKAY [  0.005s]

It is also easy to boot into recovery (hold down power + next track) or the bootloader (hold down power + prev track) from powered off.

If we get a recovery image, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to fix any software issues ourselves.

Just as a precaution, I wouldn't recommend that anybody does this.  It serves no purpose at the moment other than to see that we can do it.  My device boots up fine and has been rooted for well over a month now, so as long as you are careful it shouldn't be a problem.

As for the user who deleted their build.prop, you can actually use "adb" to push a valid file back to the device and thus fix it without a ROM.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24887073/push-build-prop-to-system-build-prop

#af.resampler.quality=4
# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=LMY47V
ro.build.sw.version=0.1.30.8_20160322.215713
ro.build.display.id=LMY47V
ro.build.version.incremental=eng..20160322.215713
ro.build.version.sdk=22
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.all_codenames=REL
ro.build.version.release=5.1.1
ro.build.version.security_patch=2016-03-01
ro.build.date=二  3月 22 22:01:00 CST 2016
ro.build.date.utc=1458655260
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=
ro.build.host=josh
ro.build.tags=release-keys
ro.build.flavor=Rai_Zin_32-user
ro.product.model=DP-X1
ro.product.brand=Onkyo
ro.product.name=Rai_Zin_32
ro.product.device=Rai_Zin_32
ro.product.board=Rai_Zin_32
# ro.product.cpu.abi and ro.product.cpu.abi2 are obsolete,
# use ro.product.cpu.abilist instead.
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist=armeabi-v7a,armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist32=armeabi-v7a,armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist64=
ro.product.manufacturer=O&P Innovations
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=msm8974
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=Rai_Zin_32
# Do not try to parse description, fingerprint, or thumbprint
ro.build.description=Rai_Zin_32-user 5.1.1 LMY47V eng..20160322.215713 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=Onkyo/Rai_Zin_32/Rai_Zin_32:5.1.1/LMY47V/03222200:user/release-keys
ro.build.characteristics=tablet
# end build properties
#
# from device/qcom/Rai_Zin_32/system.prop
#
#
# system.prop for msm8974
#

rild.libpath=/vendor/lib/libril-qc-qmi-1.so
rild.libargs=-d /dev/smd0
persist.rild.nitz_plmn=
persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_0=
persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_1=
persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_2=
persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_3=
persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_0=
persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_1=
persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_2=
persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_3=
ril.subscription.types=NV,RUIM
DEVICE_PROVISIONED=1
# Start in global mode
ro.telephony.default_network=10

debug.sf.hw=1
debug.egl.hw=1
debug.composition.type=c2d
persist.hwc.mdpcomp.enable=true
debug.mdpcomp.4k2kSplit=1
debug.mdpcomp.logs=0
dalvik.vm.heapsize=36m
dev.pm.dyn_samplingrate=1
persist.demo.hdmirotationlock=false

ro.hdmi.enable=true
persist.speaker.prot.enable=false
qcom.hw.aac.encoder=true
#
# system props for the cne module
#
persist.cne.feature=1

#system props for the MM modules

media.stagefright.enable-player=true
media.stagefright.enable-http=true
media.stagefright.enable-aac=true
media.stagefright.enable-qcp=true
media.stagefright.enable-fma2dp=true
media.stagefright.enable-scan=true
mmp.enable.3g2=true
mm.enable.smoothstreaming=true
media.aac_51_output_enabled=true
#37491 is decimal sum of supported codecs in AAL
#codecs: AVI AC3 ASF AAC QCP DTS 3G2 MP2TS
mm.enable.qcom_parser=37491

# Default to AwesomePlayer
media.stagefright.use-awesome=true

# VIDC: debug_levels
# 1:ERROR 2:HIGH 4:LOW 0:NOLOGS 7:AllLOGS
vidc.debug.level=1
#
# system props for the data modules
#
ro.use_data_netmgrd=true
persist.data.netmgrd.qos.enable=true
ro.data.large_tcp_window_size=true

#system props for time-services
persist.timed.enable=true

#
# system prop for opengles version
#
# 196608 is decimal for 0x30000 to report version 3
ro.opengles.version=196608

# System property for cabl
ro.qualcomm.cabl=1

#
# System props for telephony
# System prop to turn on CdmaLTEPhone always
telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=1

#
# System props for bluetooth
# System prop to turn on hfp client
bluetooth.hfp.client=1

#
# System props for bluetooth LE Always on feature
#
ro.bluetooth.alwaysbleon=true

#Simulate sdcard on /data/media
#
persist.fuse_sdcard=true

#
#snapdragon value add features
#
ro.qc.sdk.audio.ssr=false
##fluencetype can be "fluence" or "fluencepro" or "none"
ro.qc.sdk.audio.fluencetype=none
persist.audio.fluence.voicecall=true
persist.audio.fluence.voicerec=false
persist.audio.fluence.speaker=true

ro.qc.sdk.sensors.gestures=true
ro.qc.sdk.gestures.camera=false
ro.qc.sdk.camera.facialproc=false
# system prop for NFC DT
ro.nfc.port=I2C
#property to enable user to access Google WFD settings.
persist.debug.wfd.enable=1
#property to choose between virtual/external wfd display
persist.sys.wfd.virtual=0
tunnel.audio.encode = false

#Buffer size in kbytes for compress offload playback
audio.offload.buffer.size.kb=32

#Enable offload audio video playback by default
av.offload.enable=true

#enable voice path for PCM VoIP by default
use.voice.path.for.pcm.voip=true

#hwui properties
ro.hwui.texture_cache_size=72
ro.hwui.layer_cache_size=48
ro.hwui.r_buffer_cache_size=8
ro.hwui.path_cache_size=32
ro.hwui.gradient_cache_size=1
ro.hwui.drop_shadow_cache_size=6
ro.hwui.texture_cache_flushrate=0.4
ro.hwui.text_small_cache_width=1024
ro.hwui.text_small_cache_height=1024
ro.hwui.text_large_cache_width=2048
ro.hwui.text_large_cache_height=1024

#disable dsp gapless mode by default
audio.offload.gapless.enabled=true

#MIMO++ 20150701 for Elton ask(OTG mass storage)
persist.sys.isUsbOtgEnabled=true
#
# PCM offload
#
#audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=true
audio.offload.pcm.24bit.enable=true

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
ro.com.android.dataroaming=true
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
ro.config.ringtone=Ring_Synth_04.ogg
ro.config.notification_sound=pixiedust.ogg
ro.carrier=unknown
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
ro.vendor.extension_library=libqti-perfd-client.so
persist.radio.apm_sim_not_pwdn=1
dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=8m
dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=96m
dalvik.vm.heapsize=256m
dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization=0.75
dalvik.vm.heapminfree=2m
dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=8m
drm.service.enabled=true
ro.com.widevine.cachesize=16777216
ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-onkyo
ro.setupwizard.mode=OPTIONAL
ro.com.google.gmsversion=5.1_r3
persist.sys.dalvik.vm.lib.2=libart.so
dalvik.vm.isa.arm.features=div
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt
persist.gps.qc_nlp_in_use=1
persist.loc.nlp_name=com.qualcomm.location
ro.gps.agps_provider=1
ro.pip.gated=0

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #9,165 of 16,328

x RELIC x might know, ask him ^^

Well, I may have some nebulous knowledge of audio paths, and some common sense (mostly), but to be honest I'm not really knowledgable about Android. As I've mentioned, I don't own the DP-X1 and have posted here because of my previous interest in the DAP. I would actually defer to Joe Bloggs regarding apps and equalizers as he is much more knowledgable than I am about such things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back