ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 20, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #4,006 of 16,326

What balanced cable would work?

Any cable terminated to 2.5 TRRS wiring like AK player, there is a diagram for it posted before. Just get anything compatible with AK balance...

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #4,008 of 16,326
2.5mm TRRS

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=DP-X1

my bad 2.5. You don't have to quote the page here as I have been playing with the player itself for 1 month already. My reaction most likely was mistaken for my old ZX2 TRRS

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #4,011 of 16,326
So, I take that Onkyo is official challenging both design from Sony Zx2 of Active-Ground-Control and Balanced from A&K. Onkyo stated

-ACG drive gives greater stability: increased S/N ratio; greater spatial dimensionality, and clean sound; greater deliniation for lower frequencies in Hi-Res audio, and overall robust and taut sound.

-BTL drive supplies increased power.

So now, Zx2 owners can be rest assured that Zx2 TRRS is not called "true balanced" but is ACG, and Onkyo confirmed the improvements above by itself ...lol

The crazy thing is how Onkyo implemented both on one player ......yet the sockets tolerances suck!

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #4,012 of 16,326
To get Poweramp to be the same volume as all other apps, go to Settings > Audio > Advanced Tweaks and uncheck Direct Volume Control.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #4,014 of 16,326
PSA: the BTG Audio angled 3.5m TRS plug that comes with Starlight cable is a 100% deal breaker when used on the Onkyo DP-X1. Any slight rotating movement make it unplug by itself. 45degree rotation angle is enough to get from Left photo to Right photo where you'll notice the music paused with headphone icon notification gone.

What this means is you just can't use this cable at all for a portable usage. Your music will pause and you'd have to constantly push it back in. Mind you this is less than 1mm sliding upwards that causes this.

So while I'm waiting for my Norne Therium balanced cables with the 2.5mm TRRS Eidolic spacious barrel to arrive, I'm using the Noble stock cable that came with the Savant and use it on my Empire Zeus ciems. This works flawlessly, and stays firmly attached to the DP-X1. I can rotate its plug all I want and make wide cable movements the music won't pause.
I've tried the BTG Starlight angled plug on the Sony ZX2 and there's no issue. It's not sliding out. I don't know why this is happening with the DP-X1. Anyways, I've disliked the BTG Starlight from start so it's just a strike-3-you're-out! event for me.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #4,015 of 16,326
Well thats a shame! I hope that isn't the case with the 2.5mm TRRS BTG Starlight cable I just ordered from Brian.... I will have to try the Starlight TRS when my DP-X1 arrives also to see if it's an issue on my unit. Odd that it even should move out 1mm.. Wonder if it's another flaw with the Onk.. Sounds like it may if the Sony has no issue with it. Good thing I also have a few Eidolic 2.5mm Balanced connectors en route

PSA: the BTG Audio angled 3.5m TRS plug that comes with Starlight cable is a 100% deal breaker when used on the Onkyo DP-X1. Any slight rotating movement make it unplug by itself. 45degree rotation angle is enough to get from Left photo to Right photo where you'll notice the music paused with headphone icon notification gone.

What this means is you just can't use this cable at all for a portable usage. Your music will pause and you'd have to constantly push it back in. Mind you this is less than 1mm sliding upwards that causes this.

So while I'm waiting for my Norne Therium balanced cables with the 2.5mm TRRS Eidolic spacious barrel to arrive, I'm using the Noble stock cable that came with the Savant and use it on my Empire Zeus ciems. This works flawlessly, and stays firmly attached to the DP-X1. I can rotate its plug all I want and make wide cable movements the music won't pause.
I've tried the BTG Starlight angled plug on the Sony ZX2 and there's no issue. It's not sliding out. I don't know why this is happening with the DP-X1. Anyways, I've disliked the BTG Starlight from start so it's just a strike-3-you're-out! event for me.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #4,016 of 16,326
My ghost, the most screwed up thing is to have too many options....and I am having this issue with DP-X1 and stock player...lets see

Lock range adjustment...wider...narrower....for more forgiving...or more criticizing.....
Digital filter....sharp...slow...short....for most natural...to more emphasizes on mid...to more foward....
Then there is Balanced...or active controlled ground modes...for more impacts, oohms, authorities.....or better separations, nuances details....etc...etc...dang it...if I can just make up my mind!

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #4,017 of 16,326

It's using a neutrik connector. Thing about neutrik connectors is, they have a very good material base and sound good, yes plugs do sound slightly different, but they're not the most evenly shaped plugs around. As a result, they don't always fit securely like they should with all jacks.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #4,018 of 16,326
  PSA: the BTG Audio angled 3.5m TRS plug that comes with Starlight cable is a 100% deal breaker when used on the Onkyo DP-X1. 

I will report on this when I get mine, but thanks for the heads-up.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #4,019 of 16,326
It's using a neutrik connector. Thing about neutrik connectors is, they have a very good material base and sound good, yes plugs do sound slightly different, but they're not the most evenly shaped plugs around. As a result, they don't always fit securely like they should with all jacks.
that's reassuring thanks.

Pasting from Empire thread:
Might be. But I've now tried the Fiio EX-1 plug as well and tested all 3 again. Only happens with the neutrik plug. Really weird it's as if it unscrew itself out with the slightest of movement.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #4,020 of 16,326
My ghost, the most screwed up thing is to have too many options....and I am having this issue with DP-X1 and stock player...lets see

Lock range adjustment...wider...narrower....for more forgiving...or more criticizing.....
Digital filter....sharp...slow...short....for most natural...to more emphasizes on mid...to more foward....
Then there is Balanced...or active controlled ground modes...for more impacts, oohms, authorities.....or better separations, nuances details....etc...etc...dang it...if I can just make up my mind!

Slow filter, ACG if you don't need the extra power as it becomes the same output as SE, but you know that I'm sure. Has anybody bothered with the Lock Range? I've just left it on normal as without any explanation of what it actually does it is hard to feel the urge to experiment. What the hell, I'll mess around with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back