ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 20, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #3,976 of 16,326
Poweramp user here and yes, it's much louder than stock player. But I really like the SQ on Poweramp better. Some people comment I'm being ridiculous becoz Poweramp supposed do not have access to the extra DAC so I'm only listen to an Android. 

According to what I gathered so far...android problem is that everything audio related is directed toward the build SOHC of the CPU which will then directed into integrated DAC if it was made, such as Snapdragon...and that is what DP-X1 has as a CPU. The same as LG-V10

However, DP-X1 doesn't have the snapdragon integrated DAC , but 1 ESS Sabres as default, and an additional one for balanced connection. It seems at the least, you are getting one DAC quality ?

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #3,977 of 16,326
According to what I gathered so far...android problem is that everything audio related is directed toward the build SOHC of the CPU which will then directed into integrated DAC if it was made, such as Snapdragon...and that is what DP-X1 has as a CPU. The same as LG-V10

However, DP-X1 doesn't have the snapdragon integrated DAC , but 1 ESS Sabres as default, and an additional one for balanced connection. It seems at the least, you are getting one DAC quality ?

I'm not sure what quality I am getting. But let me be honest, I'm more happy with the SQ of Poweramp than Onkyo stock player. 

However, I would like to find out.

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #3,978 of 16,326
At least Poweramp Alpha UI is better than stock player :) Sadly it is just trial version :frowning2:

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #3,979 of 16,326
Poweramp Alpha still has a higher noise floor as compared to the stock player. I believe the noise floor is only noticeable if you're using a fairly sensitive IEM and if you know what you're looking for. It's like hearing white noise which sounds like hissing but at a lower volume. Run a search for white noise and try playing it normally.

A couple of my friends have this issue with their units too so it's not limited to just 1 or 2 units.

I don't think there are any 3rd party apps out there that are using the right usecase to play music on the DP-X1 yet. See my post linked below for more details.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/3480#post_12254387

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #3,980 of 16,326
pegasus21 You mean all 3rd party apps downsampling 24 bit or above to 16/44?

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #3,981 of 16,326
If they do not use the compress_offload usecase that the stock player uses, it will automatically be converted on the fly by the android system to 44.1 or 48 KHz at 16bits. Then I suppose there are some other processing done to the sound which degrades it further.

UAPP doesn't use it either.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #3,982 of 16,326
Not sure if Poweramp alpha de-sampling the music or not, but it has a lot of options and it sounded the best with Zx2. The TRRS output on the dp-x1 with Poweramp is still an issue as Poweramp alpha can only access one DAC. I couldn't get it to work right on the right channel while charging it would bug out, then I have to do a reset

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #3,983 of 16,326
^ How do you know that it is only working on one DAC?

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #3,984 of 16,326
^ How do you know that it is only working on one DAC?
'
Because the right channel acted like it was possessed from time to time, especially while charging, so at least one of the DAC is not functioning correctly. However, this morning I was able to play music 2 hours with Poweramp alpha by TRRS out whether balanced or AGC mode ? I don't know what is causing such reaction ? Perhap charging ? Idk, I will report back if I could find out

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #3,986 of 16,326
I think I found the fix for 3rd party and DAC on the DP-X1. I have been trying it out here with Poweramp alpha, which acted like it was now it is stable and works with both AGC and Balanced....no funky wonky actions.

Quick, everybody try out "Hi-fi Everywhere" app in the Google store. It is free, and was originally developed for LG-V10 so it could help all 3rd party app to by-pass the limitations and restrictions within android OS, and route everything toward the additional DAC.

Let's see how this one work out for you all ? Don't mind the protection sheet, she is on while I am waiting on the protector

I feel like we all owe Onkyo the feature called AGC/Balanced to allow the access into both DAC separately from Android limitation, so with the "hi-fi everywhere app" everything fully access both DAC
biggrin.gif
in Balanced/AGC mode.

YouTube Earfonia Risset drum clip does not distort...it hits like hell !

How do you know this works,does it sound better than the players music app?

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #3,987 of 16,326
How do you know this works,does it sound better than the players music app?

Before installing it, the Poweramp app reacted weirdly, after installing it the Poweramp alpha app didn't react weirdly on both balanced or AGC modes...however, it does react weirdly while charging and playing. I have not yet to try more apps, I gotta spend sometime to listen to this device on stock app for a bit :D. Been trying to fix the sockets and dogged some solutions trying to use 3rd party app as I like Poweramp alpha. For now, it doesn't seem to be totally working. I need your guys helps :)

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #3,988 of 16,326
Before installing it, the Poweramp app reacted weirdly, after installing it the Poweramp alpha app didn't react weirdly on both balanced or AGC modes...however, it does react weirdly while charging and playing. I have not yet to try more apps, I gotta spend sometime to listen to this device on stock app for a bit
biggrin.gif

Glad you found this app helped.

However, that's not the case for me. Poweramp (both Google Play and Alpha) is working great for me, so weird reaction and personally I found it sound better than stock app. And I do not notice any difference with the service enabled.

However, as people said these player app are actually downsampled or do not have access to the dual DAC, I would love someone find a way for these app to access it. 
beyersmile.png

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #3,989 of 16,326
Before installing it, the Poweramp app reacted weirdly, after installing it the Poweramp alpha app didn't react weirdly on both balanced or AGC modes...however, it does react weirdly while charging and playing. I have not yet to try more apps, I gotta spend sometime to listen to this device on stock app for a bit
biggrin.gif
. Been trying to fix the sockets and dogged some solutions trying to use 3rd party app as I like Poweramp alpha. For now, it doesn't seem to be totally working. I need your guys helps
smily_headphones1.gif

No I like the new poweramp,its a lot better on my Pioneer than the older version and its adds a bit more db to the output although it still resamples!It was the other app I was talking about,how do you know it utilises the full potential of the dac.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #3,990 of 16,326

Maybe only some of the early units had this issue and they fixed the engineering QC. That would be good news. Anyone else got a better fitting 2.5 jack?

So I also bought m9 tempered glass. A little short on the top and bottom ends, thick, but it is all good :D for now.

Now, unless you eyes ball into it, it is not noticable at all, but at least my sockets are better secured

Users who are viewing this thread

Back