ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 20, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #3,993 of 16,326
^ maybe they fixed the quality control on later devices? That would be good news!

Any evidence that it's the case?

if they did, I would request a trade in lmao

We all would I think, although importing and all I have low hopes...

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #3,994 of 16,326
Today I'm joining the club of DP-X1 owners...
My device arrived few hours ago.

Total (Customs) costs paid  - about 25,00EUR. And that's all !!!
Thanks to  pricejapan - it was described as "mp3 player" on the invoice...

First impressions - sound  excellent, battery live - could be much better, I need protective case,...

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #3,995 of 16,326
cheezus , that poweramp alpha sounds really great out of my JH but then annoying distortion just killed it

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #3,996 of 16,326
I try not to gush, but now that I'm getting a little more time and listening I am flat out impressed. This thing is a detail monster, but although this is cliché to follow that statement up with, I don't find it clinical or sterile at all. It doesn't have a lushness about it, instead it has the very silent background that everybody seems to be noticing. I now find the PM3s to be better extended in the treble, at least it seems very obvious to me. I wish I had more time to do back to backs against my Blackberry Leap. Hopefully over the weekend I will.

I find percussion to be very well done with plenty of texture. I hesitate to say this is due to using balanced, and now ACG, but I feel the bass is quite a bit better controlled. There were some tracks that seemed boomy to me at times that now are seemingly better controlled and tighter at the places where I used to feel the bass got out of control. This can certainly be explained by expectation or simple brain acclimation of course so not sure what to think.

I try to get my head around why having two DACs and two amps would make such a difference? To me, this would imply the implementation of single ended was quite flawed if I can actually hear the difference. I know the measurements balanced are better, but when I look at those nothing strikes me as so obvious that it should be audible, but I can't deny feeling the sound in balanced is better. I'm going to try and have my friend help me do some blind listening testing over the next few weeks. I'm really curious if what I'm hearing is real or just imagined. Regardless, if I'm fooling myself damn I'm doing a fine job because the Onkyo is an absolute pleasure to listen to.

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #3,997 of 16,326

Amazing that this works on the Onkyo.

I recall reading about it in connection with the V10. If I recall correctly, it simply plays a silent audio file via the default music player app. Any other audio is then super-imposed on top of the silence but, most importantly, is delivered through the same path as the default player.

does it also correspondingly mean additional battery drain ? 

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #3,998 of 16,326

Amazing that this works on the Onkyo.

I recall reading about it in connection with the V10. If I recall correctly, it simply plays a silent audio file via the default music player app. Any other audio is then super-imposed on top of the silence but, most importantly, is delivered through the same path as the default player.

I don't think that will work in DP-X1.

Try play a normal audio file with stock app, then play other audio file form 3rd party player, the stock app will just stop.

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #3,999 of 16,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(...) 

I try to get my head around why having two DACs and two amps would make such a difference? To me, this would imply the implementation of single ended was quite flawed if I can actually hear the difference. I know the measurements balanced are better, but when I look at those nothing strikes me as so obvious that it should be audible, but I can't deny feeling the sound in balanced is better. I'm going to try and have my friend help me do some blind listening testing over the next few weeks. I'm really curious if what I'm hearing is real or just imagined. Regardless, if I'm fooling myself damn I'm doing a fine job because the Onkyo is an absolute pleasure to listen to.

I am with you on impressions, great feedback.

Now on balanced vs SE. The first time I had a balanced setup (PHA-3 with MDR-Z7 and XBA-Z5), I really understood what balanced brings to the table mainly separation, soundstage and cleaner background. I think you're supposed to hear a difference :) Now compared to the PHA-3 with the DP-X1 I don't find the same "wow" gap between SE and balanced in terms of soundstage (but that's with the S-EM9, YMMV). Imaging is another story, already good single ended but balanced oh my now we're talking! I agree about bass being more controlled balanced, clearly. 

There is no flaw in SE on the DP-X1 in fact I think it holds its own quite well against the balanced out despite measurements showing big differences. 

One thing I still have to take more time is ACG vs balanced, differences are more subtle...

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #4,000 of 16,326

... There is no flaw in SE on the DP-X1 in fact I think it holds its own quite well against the balanced out despite measurements showing big differences. 

One thing I still have to take more time is ACG vs balanced, differences are more subtle...

For sure, my wording was quite awkward and hence misleading. I actually agree that the SE is awesome sounding. My saying that was a clumsy attempt to say I still struggle with being able to accept that there is any technical reason for balanced to sound better, but like you when I used my PHA 3/Z7 combo balanced I felt the same way you did. I struggle with this question as I read opinions from very knowledgeable people, even audio circuit engineers who say balanced will yield nothing extra, but then you find others who say the opposite. And now, I can't completely trust my own ears as I have expectation of improvement.

I'm still optimistic there are real improvements in balanced configurations, but until I use some blind listening tests I will always have a little doubt. Primarily I purchased a balanced cable to make the extra power available for playing older, more dynamic recordings from the 70s and 80s that were just too quiet. Damn it sucks to have one foot in two solitudes, I'm part objective data driven, but equally appreciative of the subjective experience. It is a curse, I wish I could just be polarized and be done with it.

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #4,001 of 16,326
Im thinking of getting the Sony XBA-Z5 to replace my StageDiver SD-3's...
Will this balanced cable work with the Onkyo?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1080982-REG/sony_mucm20bl1_muc_m20bl1_balanced_audio_cable.html

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #4,002 of 16,326
  Im thinking of getting the Sony XBA-Z5 to replace my StageDiver SD-3's...
Will this balanced cable work with the Onkyo?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1080982-REG/sony_mucm20bl1_muc_m20bl1_balanced_audio_cable.html

Absolutely Not...

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #4,004 of 16,326
I had PETEREK make my balanced cable and his work is always excellent, I think the prices are fair and the turn around time is usually pretty good as well so you might want to ask him if he what he could do for you.

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #4,005 of 16,326
I am too lazy to make myself an SE cables lol, but I am a huge believer in balanced out, so my primary function and feature from DP-x1 was the 2.5 TRRS...hence I made the cables before the unit arrived to me. Balanced not only bring in more control, linearity, less crosstalk and distortions, but more separations and details. You just can not miss it, when it is implemented properly. I will wait until my Z7 gets back to me for SE connection....not my primarily goal, why do I use SE when I can BAlanced ? Lol

On TRRS 2.5. I find myself to Be confused between balanced mode or AGC mode lol.....both sounds so good in it own rights!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back