ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 5, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #947 of 16,326
@dopaminer did u had the chance to listen to it, as i find that it would much imprtant to us to know about sound impressions than how it compares built size wise to other daps 

please share what you thought about it, i have a feeling you were not that impressed otherwise you would have said something about sound quality

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #948 of 16,326
Well, there is no need for fancy titanium or armored up body. They use DAC and Opamps, so why thick body for ? Just as long as it can withstand daily usages, and solid made, then it would be good enough. No need for fancy armor and increase cost.

So far the only sound impression I read is that it is better than dx90, and that is from single TRS output. I am sure balanced output will be much better :D. Still, please keep up the sound impressions

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #949 of 16,326
Well, there is no need for fancy titanium or armored up body. They use DAC and Opamps, so why thick body for ? Just as long as it can withstand daily usages, and solid made, then it would be good enough. No need for fancy armor and increase cost.

So far the only sound impression I read is that it is better than dx90, and that is from single TRS output. I am sure balanced output will be much better
biggrin.gif
. Still, please keep up the sound impressions

better than dx90 will not cut it for me to buy it

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #950 of 16,326
I'm sure dopaminer is just giving it enough listening time to form a legitimate impression. I have an Oppo PM3 on the way and a cable being made for it so that I can use it balanced with the Onkyo. I just wanted to confirm that the TRRS pinout for the Onkyo is the same as AK which I believe is from tip R+/R-/L-/L+. Can anybody confirm this for me before I get my cable guy to make the cable? Thanks in advance.

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #951 of 16,326

So far the only sound impression I read is that it is better than dx90, and that is from single TRS output. I am sure balanced output will be much better
biggrin.gif
. Still, please keep up the sound impressions

People are already saying the DX80 is better sounding than the DX90.

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #952 of 16,326
I'm sure dopaminer is just giving it enough listening time to form a legitimate impression. I have an Oppo PM3 on the way and a cable being made for it so that I can use it balanced with the Onkyo. I just wanted to confirm that the TRRS pinout for the Onkyo is the same as AK which I believe is from tip R+/R-/L-/L+. Can anybody confirm this for me before I get my cable guy to make the cable? Thanks in advance.

I think the balanced output is dual TRS ? I don't believe it has TRRS ? Or does it ?

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #953 of 16,326
I think the balanced output is dual TRS ? I don't believe it has TRRS ? Or does it ?

http://www.jp.onkyo.com/audiovisual/headphone/dpx1/

2.5mm is 4 pole trrs. After rereading the product page, or well the Google translated version of it, that the ACG allows you to choose the termination if your 2.5mm trrs cable. Either going AK or going like Sony zx2. very interesting gonna be fun A/B'ing.

Edit: http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/95/955794b6_TRRSTip.png
Hmm I'm not sure it's even possible with those pin outs. Can the ACG reassign them?

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #954 of 16,326
Nov 5, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #955 of 16,326
  @dopaminer did u had the chance to listen to it, as i find that it would much imprtant to us to know about sound impressions than how it compares built size wise to other daps 

please share what you thought about it, i have a feeling you were not that impressed otherwise you would have said something about sound quality

Sorry everyone for not commenting on the sound.  I listened to it with my UM Maverick, but it was a far from ideal setting for critical listening.  This DP-X1 is in my friend`s shop, on display, attached to rack.  I want to sit down in a quiet environment, use my own audio files and do a direct A-B against my 120ii, a kind of measured analysis.  I don`t like to give or read about on-the-fly quick impressions.  

I will say the 24bit Van Halen they had on the DP-X1 sounded freaking fantastic, but that was likely more because I hadn`t heard Van Halen since I was 16, and then it was on cassette tape.  

So I just went to Onkyo`s page and this is cut and pasted from their specs :  The 2.5 balanced wiring is

R-/R+/L+/L-

Which is different from the AK`s R+/R-/L-/L+.   Does this matter?  Someone with knowledge can confirm ?  

A lot of manufacturers are adopting the 2.5TRRS (Venturecraft, ALO, Ratoc Audio Labs) so I am assuming Onkyo won`t mess around with the wiring to make it proprietary.  
I guess I have to go back with my balanced cable and try it again . . . 

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #957 of 16,326
I will say the 24bit Van Halen they had on the DP-X1 sounded freaking fantastic, but that was likely more because I hadn`t heard Van Halen since I was 16, and then it was on cassette tape.  

So I just went to Onkyo`s page and this is cut and pasted from their specs :  The 2.5 balanced wiring is

R-/R+/L+/L-

Which is different from the AK`s R+/R-/L-/L+.   Does this matter?  Someone with knowledge can confirm ?  

A lot of manufacturers are adopting the 2.5TRRS (Venturecraft, ALO, Ratoc Audio Labs) so I am assuming Onkyo won`t mess around with the wiring to make it proprietary.  

Ref Van Halen: That's a brilliant point! I've had a few experiences from HDTracks or Tidal where I've listened to something that I haven't heard since my teens, on cassette, and had the same reaction - that it sonds incredible - based on my brain remembering the old cassette SQ. Well said!

Ref balanced connection: I'm interested in this as well: I've ordered the Onkyo and am just ordering some new IEMs with a balanced cable. But I was planning to listen to it via an ALO CDM (using mini-cable balanced out from Onkyo to CDM, them balanced out IEM cable from the CDM), but also use balanced out from Onkyo when I don't want to carry two boxes. Do I need two different types of 2.5mm balanced - one for the CDM balanced out, and one for the Onkyo balanced out?
I await the experts' view on that one.....

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #958 of 16,326
I'm interested in this as well: I've ordered the Onkyo and am just ordering some new IEMs with a balanced cable. But I was planning to listen to it via an ALO CDM (using mini-cable balanced out from Onkyo to CDM, them balanced out IEM cable from the CDM), but also use balanced out from Onkyo when I don't want to carry two boxes. Do I need two different types of 2.5mm balanced - one for the CDM balanced out, and one for the Onkyo balanced out?
I await the experts' view on that one.....

I am sure you could find someone to make you a 2.5 TRRS to 2.5 TRRS adapter if needed. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #959 of 16,326
I am sure you could find someone to make you a 2.5 TRRS to 2.5 TRRS adapter if needed. 

Thanks mate, noted.
I ordered this (http://www.aloaudio.com/25-mm-to-25mm-balanced-portable-cable) from ALO when I got my CDM, with the intention of at some point running it from the balanced out of the CDM and into the balanced headphone socket of a DAP (e.g. The Onkyo), then a balanced out IEM cable from the DAP.
I'm rubbish when it comes which 2.5mm balanced is which....

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #960 of 16,326

Sorry everyone for not commenting on the sound.  I listened to it with my UM Maverick, but it was a far from ideal setting for critical listening.  This DP-X1 is in my friend`s shop, on display, attached to rack.  I want to sit down in a quiet environment, use my own audio files and do a direct A-B against my 120ii, a kind of measured analysis.  I don`t like to give or read about on-the-fly quick impressions.  

R-/R+/L+/L-

If Onkyo isn't using AK's pinout on the 2.5mm its a big mistake. That 2.5 is more delicate but at least is close to a balanced standard thanks to A&K. No doubt requires a fraction less space and no chance of putting a 3.5mm cable into the wrong jack (which I believe is why it was created; compared to Hifiman's 3.5mm which toggles to balanced).

I already have AK matched 2.5mm balanced (and 3.5mm Hifiman TRRS) adapters for my PM-3 and Z7. If I have to get yet another adapter or cable just so Onkyo can sell their own headphones (which would no doubt match the DP-X1's pinout) then they can keep their DAP.

There are already a few too many balanced connector types out there so no company should be adding another design/pinout.

I really hope this isn't true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back