ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 5, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #961 of 16,326
Ref balanced connection: I'm interested in this as well: I've ordered the Onkyo and am just ordering some new IEMs with a balanced cable. But I was planning to listen to it via an ALO CDM (using mini-cable balanced out from Onkyo to CDM, them balanced out IEM cable from the CDM), but also use balanced out from Onkyo when I don't want to carry two boxes. Do I need two different types of 2.5mm balanced - one for the CDM balanced out, and one for the Onkyo balanced out?
I await the experts' view on that one.....

This is why I believe any device with a 2.5mm balanced out should have the same pinout. At least the ALO CDM uses the same pinout as A&K.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #962 of 16,326
Thanks mate, noted.
I ordered this (http://www.aloaudio.com/25-mm-to-25mm-balanced-portable-cable) from ALO when I got my CDM, with the intention of at some point running it from the balanced out of the CDM and into the balanced headphone socket of a DAP (e.g. The Onkyo), then a balanced out IEM cable from the DAP.
I'm rubbish when it comes which 2.5mm balanced is which....

Good choice. I like Ken's stuff. Use his SXC22 for my patch cable. Cheers 

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #963 of 16,326

There are already a few too many balanced connector types out there so no company should be adding another design/pinout.

I really hope this isn't true.

I hear you, and I agree, but the problem is that in the absence of any agreed upon, or even defacto standard, at this early stage companies will wrestle to establish a competitive advantage. I think while it is inconvenient for us at this stage, it is understandable that Onkyo would like to give their headphones a leg up. Still, we need a standard.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #964 of 16,326
Oh, does the internal jack connector in the headphone cup factor into the pinout puzzle? I am having a cable made for a PM 3 to go balanced to the Onkyo, but is it possible that the cable is configured properly for the Onkyo pinout, but it won't match the Oppo jack? I'm not even sure if that is a factor so please excuse my ignorance.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #965 of 16,326

Sorry everyone for not commenting on the sound.  I listened to it with my UM Maverick, but it was a far from ideal setting for critical listening.  This DP-X1 is in my friend`s shop, on display, attached to rack.  I want to sit down in a quiet environment, use my own audio files and do a direct A-B against my 120ii, a kind of measured analysis.  I don`t like to give or read about on-the-fly quick impressions.  

I will say the 24bit Van Halen they had on the DP-X1 sounded freaking fantastic, but that was likely more because I hadn`t heard Van Halen since I was 16, and then it was on cassette tape.  

So I just went to Onkyo`s page and this is cut and pasted from their specs :  The 2.5 balanced wiring is

R-/R+/L+/L-

Which is different from the AK`s R+/R-/L-/L+.   Does this matter?  Someone with knowledge can confirm ?  

A lot of manufacturers are adopting the 2.5TRRS (Venturecraft, ALO, Ratoc Audio Labs) so I am assuming Onkyo won`t mess around with the wiring to make it proprietary.  
I guess I have to go back with my balanced cable and try it again . . . 

They both have the same wirings:

DP-X1:(先端からR-R+/L+ L-)translates to from tip (R-R+/L+ L-)

from the ak240 manual:

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #967 of 16,326

Sorry everyone for not commenting on the sound.  I listened to it with my UM Maverick, but it was a far from ideal setting for critical listening.  This DP-X1 is in my friend`s shop, on display, attached to rack.  I want to sit down in a quiet environment, use my own audio files and do a direct A-B against my 120ii, a kind of measured analysis.  I don`t like to give or read about on-the-fly quick impressions.  

I will say the 24bit Van Halen they had on the DP-X1 sounded freaking fantastic, but that was likely more because I hadn`t heard Van Halen since I was 16, and then it was on cassette tape.  

So I just went to Onkyo`s page and this is cut and pasted from their specs :  The 2.5 balanced wiring is

R-/R+/L+/L-

Which is different from the AK`s R+/R-/L-/L+.   Does this matter?  Someone with knowledge can confirm ?  

A lot of manufacturers are adopting the 2.5TRRS (Venturecraft, ALO, Ratoc Audio Labs) so I am assuming Onkyo won`t mess around with the wiring to make it proprietary.  
I guess I have to go back with my balanced cable and try it again . . . 

can u audition it more and give us more sound impressions please

how do u compare to ak120ii

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #968 of 16,326
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/11/onkyo-dp-x1-pioneer-xdp-100r-dominate-fujiya-avic-2015/

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #969 of 16,326
Nov 6, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #970 of 16,326
  http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/11/onkyo-dp-x1-pioneer-xdp-100r-dominate-fujiya-avic-2015/

I did not realized that they had twin microSD card slots !
biggrin.gif
    This is very good news: Almost 1/2 Tb possible !

Plus, since they use Android,  TIDAL and QOBUZ should also run OK on it ? 

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #971 of 16,326
I appreciated the fact I paid upfront for 128gb internal on the AK. It is nice however to be able to expand to two 256gb cards, but 32gb internal is kinda lame.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #972 of 16,326

I did not realized that they had twin microSD card slots !
biggrin.gif
    This is very good news: Almost 1/2 Tb possible !

Plus, since they use Android,  TIDAL and QOBUZ should also run OK on it

Yea it supports Google Play services just like the Sony ZX2, but with the latest android to boot -and- the hardware to back it up :)

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #973 of 16,326
If only they include Marshmallow with the doze mode, this DAP would have a really incredible standby time.

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #974 of 16,326

They both have the same wirings:

DP-X1:(先端からR-R+/L+ L-)translates to from tip (R-R+/L+ L-)

from the ak240 manual:

Thank you for the clarification, I was getting a little confused with the conflicting information. This matches what T.R.A.N.C.E had been saying all along. My bad for not having done what you did and simply get an AK manual!

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #975 of 16,326
I appreciated the fact I paid upfront for 128gb internal on the AK. It is nice however to be able to expand to two 256gb cards, but 32gb internal is kinda lame.

only if you don't have any micro-SD cards from a prior DAP or a camera. I have 2x128 cards and a bunch of 64s ... so that starts me at 160 gb or 288 gbs, depending on what cards I start with. And those are already loaded with ready-to-go music, unless the Onkyo uses some special storage/formatting. 

Built-in memory always seems to be 2 to 3 times more expensive per GB than the going rate for "current generation best-value cards." 

From my point of view, 32 gb of internal is the sweet spot.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back