ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 5, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #931 of 16,326
I had a play around with the DP-X1 today.  Here are some impressions : 

- It is surprisingly large in the flesh (see the pics below with it next to my AK120ii)
- It is surprisingly light, feels very light in the hand and the metal chassis is painted or coated so that at first I thought it was plastic.  Initial impression was one of      cheapness, especially compared to the brick-like AK or other similar DAPs.  But this is typical Japanese design/engineering, and after a few moments I appreciated more and more that it is solid and well made. 
- That subtle concave section on the back, around the volume wheel makes the player sit very nicely in the hand; it is surprisingly ergonomic, for being a box.
- Volume wheel is small but nicely damped, feels quality.  The volume wheel of course worked smoothly; however raising/lowering volume using the touch screen showed obvious latency, which resulted in pushing the volume too high, briefly, but repeatedly.  
- Home screen shows rows of smartphone-esque apps (which I hate)
- Tolerances, buttons, fit, finish seem extremely high quality - no indication it costs a fraction of some other DAPs.  Noticeably better than, for example, iBasso DX90. 
- This was a demo unit from Onkyo that did not include the retail packaging/accessories so I can`t report on what is or is not included, like a case, or SD card. I would definitely want to have a fitted leather case for the DP-X1, like the AK cases. 

Some smarthphone pics, next my AK120ii, and some close-ups of knobs and ports. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #933 of 16,326
Oh my, it's a bit big. And an awful lot of Google apps going on. Hopefully it'll impress where it matters most.

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #934 of 16,326
Nov 5, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #937 of 16,326
As a non-Android user how do you remove apps you don't want? I'm assuming it is simple enough, but I thought I would ask. Yes it is large, but for people like me who have eye-sight that is becoming challenged the large screen will help. I'm sure we will get some good sound impressions soon enough.

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #938 of 16,326
As a non-Android user how do you remove apps you don't want? I'm assuming it is simple enough, but I thought I would ask. Yes it is large, but for people like me who have eye-sight that is becoming challenged the large screen will help. I'm sure we will get some good sound impressions soon enough.

You go to settings then applications, all apps will be listed there, i beleive theres even a tabs where you choose the location the app is installed in ( built in memory or sd card). Select the app then uninstall.

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #940 of 16,326
You can long press the icon and it will give you the option to un-install.

T​hanks, same as with the Blackberry OS 10. Works for me. Just found a nice set of Oppo PM3s that I will use with the DAP. Now to get my balanced cable.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #941 of 16,326
  This would be my first DAP and I have been holding out for a while. Did not like the Sony ZX2 based on reviews and I did not like the price of the AK240 or the AK380 especially since I need to buy good headphones and a really good IEM.

This has brought me down to the Onkyo DP-X1 or the Questyle QP1R, which is getting rave reviews. I am waiting for this DAP to get in people's hands so a review will be published before I make up my mind. There are zero stores within at least a 100 mile radius that carry these devices so I can't test them before buying.

I'm in the same boat trying to decide between the Onkyo and Questyle. I passed on the ZX2 due to it's low power output and have been using the AK Jr. for now. Based on reviews, I'm betting the Questyle sounds better (at least single ended) and has more power than the Onkyo but it's also roughly $200-300 more expensive. Sound quality is king but I can't ignore the Onkyo's better price, better UI (navigation buttons included), and balanced output.

Spare me the horror, Lotoo PAW Gold/5000 and Cayin N5 wheel were horrible, I just can't describe how frustrating for $300+ items have that kind of clunky interface, at least give us some buttons instead. I've used QP1R for a bit, yes it sounds great but by the gods that interface and scroll mechanism. I understand the sound of QP1R might make up for the crap interface but seriously, $1000 for clunky UX and half baked folder browser is kinda questionable, why can't they just use sliders or buttons? No need for fancy stuff, I mean I sure don't parade my note 4 for people to see not to mention a DAP.

I spoke with Questyle's American VP and he said the QP1R can be navigated entirely using the front haptic touch buttons (wheel use is optional; he says they added the scroll wheel functionality as an option after the first units had already been released overseas). I'm not a big fan of scroll wheels either (especially if they require break-in to work smoothly) but I think they're targeting a niche for those who were (and maybe still are) fans of the original ipod's wheel. Lack of touchscreen, available scroll wheel, and (based on nearly all feedback so far) great sound quality and great fit/finish infers they may be going for a nostalgia type response as well.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #942 of 16,326

I am not sure if this site is all correct but it says:
"The Onkyo DP-X1 and Pioneer XDP-100R will each be available worldwide from mid-late November but with the Onkyo device coming in at JPY10,000 more than its Pioneer cousin, I’d peg the former as having the stronger market potential."

I hope it is really like what it says.

Well, I don't know about its availability, but Yodobashi lists the Onkyo at ~¥75,000 and the Pioneer at ~¥64,000. So yeah, about a ¥10,000 difference.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #943 of 16,326
  I had a play around with the DP-X1 today.  Here are some impressions : 

- It is surprisingly large in the flesh (see the pics below with it next to my AK120ii)
- It is surprisingly light, feels very light in the hand and the metal chassis is painted or coated so that at first I thought it was plastic.  Initial impression was one of      cheapness, especially compared to the brick-like AK or other similar DAPs.  But this is typical Japanese design/engineering, and after a few moments I appreciated more and more that it is solid and well made. 
- That subtle concave section on the back, around the volume wheel makes the player sit very nicely in the hand; it is surprisingly ergonomic, for being a box.
- Volume wheel is small but nicely damped, feels quality.  The volume wheel of course worked smoothly; however raising/lowering volume using the touch screen showed obvious latency, which resulted in pushing the volume too high, briefly, but repeatedly.  
- Home screen shows rows of smartphone-esque apps (which I hate)
- Tolerances, buttons, fit, finish seem extremely high quality - no indication it costs a fraction of some other DAPs.  Noticeably better than, for example, iBasso DX90. 
- This was a demo unit from Onkyo that did not include the retail packaging/accessories so I can`t report on what is or is not included, like a case, or SD card. I would definitely want to have a fitted leather case for the DP-X1, like the AK cases. 

Thanks for the impressions, and some great pics there! They look huge, but I don't really have a problem with bigger DAPs or smartphones. In any case, they look top notch, with some very Japanese-like industrial styling. Nice!

Can't wait to hear your impressions on its audio performance next. 
smile.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #944 of 16,326

I'm in the same boat trying to decide between the Onkyo and Questyle. I passed on the ZX2 due to it's low power output and have been using the AK Jr. for now. Based on reviews, I'm betting the Questyle sounds better (at least single ended) and has more power than the Onkyo but it's also roughly $200-300 more expensive. Sound quality is king but I can't ignore the Onkyo's better price, better UI (navigation buttons included), and balanced output.

I spoke with Questyle's American VP and he said the QP1R can be navigated entirely using the front haptic touch buttons (wheel use is optional; he says they added the scroll wheel functionality as an option after the first units had already been released overseas). I'm not a big fan of scroll wheels either (especially if they require break-in to work smoothly) but I think they're targeting a niche for those who were (and maybe still are) fans of the original ipod's wheel. Lack of touchscreen, available scroll wheel, and (based on nearly all feedback so far) great sound quality and great fit/finish infers they may be going for a nostalgia type response as well.

I am leaning toward the QP1R with Shure ES846 and Audeze LCD-X headphones. The savings over getting an overpriced AK240/AK380 easily pays for at least the Shure or Audeze. I have to buy the IEMs with any DAP I buy anyway. Still want to hear more about the Onkyo before I decide, but the QP1R seems more solid based on a comment earlier in this thread about the Onkyo feeling cheap. I am sure more opinions will surface as people get them in hand allowing us to make a more informed decision.

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #945 of 16,326

,,,based on a comment earlier in this thread about the Onkyo feeling cheap. I am sure more opinions will surface as people get them in hand allowing us to make a more informed decision.

The poster said he thought it felt cheap at first but he quickly realized the quality of construction was high. At least that is how I read things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back