ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 16, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #7,216 of 16,326
See this forum and PM Peterek if interested. He made me a 2.5 mm balanced cable and 2.5 -->.5 adapter. Excellent quality, better pricing than other options I'd explored.

Apr 16, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #7,217 of 16,326
i've got a balanced from Peterek and a SE from Lavri to use with Mojo. Lavri can do it balanced as well. Check them out on ebay if you're into braided silver cables. Both are excellent and let you get the absolute best of your PM-3s.

Apr 16, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #7,218 of 16,326
As someone who would only be using the DAP for streaming Spotify and Tidal, do you still think it is worthwhile for me to get one? I need you guys to enable me, but I don't think I really need it considering I only ever stream music and don't play high quality files. How does this compare to the Mojo and the OPPO HA-2?

Apr 16, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #7,219 of 16,326
As someone who would only be using the DAP for streaming Spotify and Tidal, do you still think it is worthwhile for me to get one? I need you guys to enable me, but I don't think I really need it considering I only ever stream music and don't play high quality files. How does this compare to the Mojo and the OPPO HA-2?

I am using dp-x1 mainly for tidal premium. I really like saving my time for large database of music, and the sound is better than my htc m9.

Apr 16, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #7,220 of 16,326

If you want the convenience of a one device solution with good battery life, good storage capacity for offline files, and good sound then you should get one.

If however you're not finding a phone with external DAC/Amp overly restrictive then you're probably not going to see much advantage.

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #7,223 of 16,326
Cross Post;

Opinions with those who have heard the Opus #1 and the Onkyo DPX1 what they think has better Sound quality overall I like analytical but with subtle warmth. This would be disregarding other options.

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #7,224 of 16,326

If you want the convenience of a one device solution with good battery life, good storage capacity for offline files, and good sound then you should get one.

If however you're not finding a phone with external DAC/Amp overly restrictive then you're probably not going to see much advantage.

+1. The advantage is having a one device solution (except no phone capabilities of course).

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #7,225 of 16,326
Cross Post;

Opinions with those who have heard the Opus #1 and the Onkyo DPX1 what they think has better Sound quality overall I like analytical but with subtle warmth. This would be disregarding other options.

Thanks!

Assuming neutral headphones, this would be my ticket for "analytical but with subtle warmth" on the DP-X1 (or Onkyo HF Player):

:wink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 16, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #7,226 of 16,326
I finally got around to making up a 2.5mm TRRS to 2 x 3 pin XLR cable to connect the DP-X1 to a Cavalli Liquid Carbon amp.

Cavalli's advice is that when the amp is fed from a balanced DAP it should have a ground reference. I brought the ground pin (1) of the XLRs out to a flying lead and made a temporary connection to the ground of the 3.5mm SE jack. However the setup worked perfectly with or without the ground connection - it made no difference at all. 

Sounds very nice too 
L3000.gif

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #7,228 of 16,326
Hi all,
Results of my Onkyo test are unfortunately not positive. My main reason for wanting this DAP was the streaming, as my main DAP is a Lotoo PG and I am super happy with it. 
As was mentioned before, all 3rd party apps I tried including Tidal, Spotify, Neutron player etc. had noise which was unacceptable for me. This noise is very easy to identify as it stays constant with no relation to the volume setting. So set your volume to 1 and play something with Spotify and you will hear it if it is there.
If looking at just High-Res playback of files, it is a very good DAP for the money. Every function worked well and quickly, I liked the UI and SQ. Oh, and there was a problem with the folder browsing, any file opened through that tab would shut down the Music Player app. I didn't try to fix this, just kept using the other tabs so it may be unique to the player I had. 

Hope this helps some one.

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #7,230 of 16,326
Has anyone attempted root on this device yet? Please, no lectures needed about risk, rewards, etc. Would love to know if it has been achieved.

Have you had a look on somewhere like XDA Developers. I have not seen any post here, but then again maybe someone brave has tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back