ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 16, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #7,248 of 16,326

Hi,
Just received my Onkyo DP-X1. Distraught that I can see nothing of the SD cards. How well is AFT working for you? How have you been managing?

I don't use Apple, but search the thread as many people here use Apple and everybody was easily able to get it working using an app for file transfer so don't worry, it will be fine.

Apr 16, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #7,249 of 16,326
Hi, 
Just received my rather expensive Onkyo DP-X1. 
Connected it to my Mac and NOTHING! Can't see any Sd cards or discs anywhere.
The manual only talks about Using a Windows music copier.
If it's only Windows compatible, and won't work off a Mac, the bang you hear is me shooting myself in the head.
Heeeeelp.

There is an app you need to install. Try search this thread.

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #7,250 of 16,326
If you can send me a link of your ripped Mqs and DSD music files, you will get our first print of our skin and the 2nd version (a more glossy carbon skin). We're just fine tuning the cuts so it would be an easy installation for those who have never done it.

We are also giving an option for people to customize the back piece to a custom logo or a signature on the back for an extra fee. We're trying to engrave a logo on my DP-X1 right now.

Please provide cut outs at the micro SD ports, so SD adapters can be used by those who want large storage capacity

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #7,252 of 16,326
So, we just finished our prototype skin. Sorry if i still have the OEM screen protector.  Waiting for my wife to bring me my Tampered Glass screen protector from Korea. 

Still waiting for my 3D printer to finish the mold so I can make my own soft polymer translucent case. Still waiting for my connectors so i can finish my balanced cable for my PM1.

Please provide cut outs at the micro SD ports, so SD adapters can be used by those who want large storage capacity

Please search the page before posting, it's kinda insulting to think that I would block a key feature of the item that I will manufacture ... :)

Apr 16, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #7,253 of 16,326
Have you had a look on somewhere like XDA Developers. I have not seen any post here, but then again maybe someone brave has tried.

I've yet to look. I'll check there soon.

Is there a way to access the bootloader? can you unlock the bootloader? if yes... the next step would be to find a modded recovery.img (like twrp) load it through the fastboot cmd and then install an app like super su through the recovery and that should have gained root access

Not sure about the bootloader. I don't have the device, but I won't purchase it without being able to root. I'm going to check xda. I tried with the zx2, no luck. I wish I could have, I would have bought another zx2 and called it a. Day. I loved that dap. This having Android 5.1.1 is a really nice feature. Much better than the 4.1.1 on the X7.

Apr 16, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #7,254 of 16,326
  Hi, 
Just received my rather expensive Onkyo DP-X1. 
Connected it to my Mac and NOTHING! Can't see any Sd cards or discs anywhere.
The manual only talks about Using a Windows music copier.
If it's only Windows compatible, and won't work off a Mac, the bang you hear is me shooting myself in the head.
Heeeeelp.

You need to install the "Android File Transfer" app. 

https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

The app is really kind of crappy, though.  There appears to be a limited absolute path length issue (which doesn't exist in Android or Mac), you can't use keyboard shortcuts (no cmd+c, cmd+v -- must do drag and drop), you can only copy one selection at a time (it doesn't queue up or support multiple transfers at once like the Finder does), and there are general instabilities in the program.  I've had it crash on me more times than it's been successful.  It'll also hijack your computer every time you plug in a USB device and try to open.  It works, but only just.  I would much rather support full Finder integration.  Just treat it like an external hard drive and let it be.

I would suggest using a microSD card reader/writer and writing to external cards directly.  There's only 32 GB of onboard memory, and only like 20 of that is usable (the rest is applications and the Android system).  You're going to have better luck just letting Android have that space and not putting anything on there and then just use the SD cards directly.  It's a lot less hassle, and then you can actually use the built-in Finder.

Apr 16, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #7,255 of 16,326

Hi,
Just received my Onkyo DP-X1. Distraught that I can see nothing of the SD cards. How well is AFT working for you? How have you been managing?

Android File Transfer is passable, but I don't really like it and avoid using it when I can (see my last post).  It is highly preferable to just use a microSD card reader/writer.  Much faster, much less headache, and much more consistent.

Apr 16, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #7,256 of 16,326
Has anyone attempted root on this device yet? Please, no lectures needed about risk, rewards, etc. Would love to know if it has been achieved.

Just tried it and got it rooted using KingRoot.

Very simple: just follow the Android tutorial.

http://www.kingroot.net/tutorials

Took like 3 minutes.  No need to unlock the bootloader.

So yes, we have Root!

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #7,257 of 16,326
Has anyone attempted root on this device yet? Please, no lectures needed about risk, rewards, etc. Would love to know if it has been achieved.

Just tried it and got it rooted using KingRoot.

Very simple: just follow the Android tutorial.

http://www.kingroot.net/tutorials

Took like 3 minutes.  No need to unlock the bootloader.

So yes, we have Root!

That's how the X7 is rooted as well, and V4A (the root app I know warrior1975 is interested in :D ) got installed there no problems. Promising :) But, this running Android 5.x, you'd have to disable SELinux or work around it somehow for V4A at least to get it working.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 16, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #7,258 of 16,326
Not sure about the bootloader. I don't have the device, but I won't purchase it without being able to root. I'm going to check xda. I tried with the zx2, no luck. I wish I could have, I would have bought another zx2 and called it a. Day. I loved that dap. This having Android 5.1.1 is a really nice feature. Much better than the 4.1.1 on the X7.

that is why I am using a Nexus 5 as my transport... it is limited regarding onboard storage (16gb model), but allows me easy root access and once I get the motivation I will compile a custom rom based of either aosp or cyanogen. I plan on ditching as much google bloat as I can and still be able to access the play store to utilize apps I have already purchased. So far I haven't had much trouble with android upsampling, but I am hoping that going the custom route will allow me to purge whatever library and sys files I need to keep native sampling only

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #7,259 of 16,326

that is why I am using a Nexus 5 as my transport... it is limited regarding onboard storage (16gb model), but allows me easy root access and once I get the motivation I will compile a custom rom based of either aosp or cyanogen. I plan on ditching as much google bloat as I can and still be able to access the play store to utilize apps I have already purchased. So far I haven't had much trouble with android upsampling, but I am hoping that going the custom route will allow me to purge whatever library and sys files I need to keep native sampling only

Root takes 3 minutes on the DP-X1.  Use KingRoot.  Just did it to see if I could (and to install AdAway).  No need to unlock bootloaders or anything.  So don't let that be a reason not to use the DP-X1.  No custom roms, as of now, but at least we have root.

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #7,260 of 16,326
Well I will be getting mine next week. Cant wait to try out, over 400gb of music is awesome. I like the Sabre DACs, my DX90 has the same. This will be my main portable DAP with my ALCLAIR RSM CIEMs.

I noticed a 2.5mm to 3.5 Female connection that is about 3 inches long and it says it makes a SE to Balanced, is this the same as having a true balanced cable? Im a bit of a "newbie" when it comes to balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back