ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 5, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #6,871 of 16,326
  If you get an IEM with detachable cables such Shure's that have MMCX or other IEM's with either, 2 pin or T2 connectors you could get TRRS replacement cables from Linum, I chose this option with my SE535's

Thanks masterpfa. I have someone working on cable for oppo PM-3 cable. I will look into Shure. Any idea if Hifiman, or Audio Technica, Sennheiser have a good set? I love the Sennheisers I have but that may be the DAP and its only single ended. I can not imagine the difference balanced. I just realized Linum is from Europe any idea in the USA who could do that type work for in ear?

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #6,872 of 16,326
  Thanks masterpfa. I have someone working on cable for oppo PM-3 cable. I will look into Shure. Any idea if Hifiman, or Audio Technica, Sennheiser have a good set? I love the Sennheisers I have but that may be the DAP and its only single ended. I can not imagine the difference balanced. I just realized Linum is from Europe any idea in the USA who could do that type work for in ear?

There are 2 distibutors here in the USA that sell the Linum BaX cable, I have one and it is really nice.

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #6,873 of 16,326
I am getting frustrated at the stock player app.  I have a few thousand songs in multiple directories and about every 10 songs, the stock player app hangs where I have to press power button and then the play button to get the music playing again.  Although this dap sounds good in the balanced mode, it still have many drawbacks that is making me think about selling it.  My Cowon S9 (very very old now) could handle 1000s of files with ease, has a SUPERIOR EQ, and the battery lasts for about 40 hours non-stop play.  Unfortunately it's sound quality by today's standard is not up to par.  I have the P1 and is superb but lacks balanced out and a higher power amp.  I know there are people that will disagree with me, but the Onkyo's ESS dacs still do have that ESS shrill sound.  I just re-cabled my Fostex TH900 headphones and it is very apparent on them listening in balanced mode.  I cannot listen more 30 minutes of the time because of listening fatigue because of the sharp treble. The Burr Brown dacs I can listen to day and night without having any kind of ear strain.  Makes me want to give up and not buy anything that has an ESS dac.  Sorry, I'm just venting.  Perhaps the Fostex TH900 in balanced mode isn't a good match for this dap.  

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #6,875 of 16,326
Cool so on phone the Onkyo player app I can view albums ?

This is not the Onkyo Player app but the 'Music' app on the Onkyo DP-X1

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #6,876 of 16,326

As far as the Linum cables are concerned you will need to check if the IEM's you have mentioned above have detachable cables, I don't personally know as have never tried any of these, But you need to make sure that they have one of the following connectors
1. MMCX 
2. T2
3. 2 pin connector

L3000.gif

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #6,877 of 16,326
Took some of my spare time today to re-terminate my old balance cable from,
L+ R+ L- R- to Onkyo pinout R- R+ L+ L- . The SQ is now crazy good on Balance.

@nanaholic, thank you so much for the Onkyo link that you shared days back.

Where does it say in the Onkyo documentation that the balanced cables need to be R- R+ L+  L- ? This post seems to say to NOT do L+ R+ L- R- but instead do  R- R+ L+  L-  and then it will sound better?  So there are different ways to have a balanced cable and we need to make sure our balanced cable for the dp-x1 is R- R+ L+  L- ?

Also, when the above post says 're-terminate', it means the 2.5mm cable plug needs to be configured to be R- R+ L+  L- ?

This is an urgent question because Ted from headphone lounge will begin work my balanced cable shortly.

Thanks!

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #6,878 of 16,326
It's the same as on the AK players, no big deal.
I'm sure Ted has made many cables that work for balanced AK players.

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #6,880 of 16,326
It's my second post about onkyo Bluetooth problem
It seems the unit has difficulties with either connecting to a Bose speaker or even my car pioneer unit
Both had never any problem streaming music through them previously even my AK 320 connects to both flawlessly
I tried resetting the speaker also updated the onkyo
Whenever the onkyo is 2 meters away of the unit sound struggles.
I checked on internet for similar problem. Couldn't find
Any suggested solution or is it a defect unit from Japan !

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #6,881 of 16,326
I am getting frustrated at the stock player app.  I have a few thousand songs in multiple directories and about every 10 songs, the stock player app hangs where I have to press power button and then the play button to get the music playing again.  Although this dap sounds good in the balanced mode, it still have many drawbacks that is making me think about selling it.  My Cowon S9 (very very old now) could handle 1000s of files with ease, has a SUPERIOR EQ, and the battery lasts for about 40 hours non-stop play.  Unfortunately it's sound quality by today's standard is not up to par.  I have the P1 and is superb but lacks balanced out and a higher power amp.  I know there are people that will disagree with me, but the Onkyo's ESS dacs still do have that ESS shrill sound.  I just re-cabled my Fostex TH900 headphones and it is very apparent on them listening in balanced mode.  I cannot listen more 30 minutes of the time because of listening fatigue because of the sharp treble. The Burr Brown dacs I can listen to day and night without having any kind of ear strain.  Makes me want to give up and not buy anything that has an ESS dac.  Sorry, I'm just venting.  Perhaps the Fostex TH900 in balanced mode isn't a good match for this dap.  

Doesn't the X1's music app have the freeform curve EQ as in the Android Onkyo HF Player app?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 6, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #6,882 of 16,326

I have a very large library on mine and have experienced no playback problems. I doubt that it's the number of files in your library that's causing the player to hang. Have you installed any third-party apps that might be interfering with playback?

What is it that's missing with the EQ? It seems infinitely flexible and adjustable to me. The only annoyance I've found is the fact that the stock player doesn't operate in landscape mode. Tweaking EQ points is more difficult in the narrow portrait mode.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #6,883 of 16,326
What is it that's missing with the EQ? It seems infinitely flexible and adjustable to me. The only annoyance I've found is the fact that the stock player doesn't operate in landscape mode. Tweaking EQ points is more difficult in the narrow portrait mode.

Is it possible to save and export / import EQ presets as files for the stock music player? I've been able to do so for the Onkyo HF Player app, but only via a root hack (since Onkyo in their infinite wisdom decided to deposit EQ settings in a root-access only directory)...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 6, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #6,884 of 16,326
Is it possible to save and export / import EQ presets as files for the stock music player? I've been able to do so for the Onkyo HF Player app, but only via a root hack (since Onkyo in their infinite wisdom decided to deposit EQ settings in a root-access only directory)...

I don't see any option to do that.

I can see how it would be a useful feature, although in reality it must take only a few minutes to recreate specific settings.

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #6,885 of 16,326
Just an FYI, here's some nice new pics of my balanced Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite Fusion 4-Wire cable with EL8 Zync connectors and 2.5 mm TRRS Eidolic termination.
This cable is for my replacement and upgraded Audeze EL8 Titanium headphones. My old 2015 EL8 CB (officially discontinued, see spoiler tag below) had a faulty left driver that eventually stopped in Jan this year. Audeze have incredible customer services and helped me get the new 2016 EL8 series, specifically the EL8 Titanium version (identical to the new 2016 EL8 CB)!

In using my Onkyo DP-X1 I tried both balanced BTL (traditional 1x DAC/channel and 1x amp/channel) and AGC (1x DAC/channel, 1x amp dedicated to ground, 1x amp for both L & R channels).
The latter is by far the better. Truly tremendous detail and beautifully clear, distortion free music, especially in the bass regions where it feels like the bass is sculpted live around your head and body. Utterly mesmerising.
Some power is sacrificed but that's ok, I'm happy with AGC but should I need more, I can switch to BTL.

(From the new Nintendo Miitomo app, I made this Miifoto tee hee ^^).

Also to point out, 2015 Audeze headphones have been discontinued because Audeze revamped, updated and re-voiced EVERY SINGLE headphone in their line-up, except two that have the updates as standard (Sine, EL8 Ti).
The new 2016 EL8 series, especially EL8 CB and it's non-identical aesthetical twin brother EL8 Ti, have resolved the odd, grating mids. In fact, these might as well be new headphones. The changes are huge.
Audeze have confirmed these changes in now four major audio publications and directly to me on Twitter (@theoneinyellow). Will post all info properly on relevant thread(s) as soon as I can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back