ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 3, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #6,842 of 16,326
I was going to do the acrylic fix but like a good procrastinator I waited, big mistake on my part, still I really don't think we shouldn't be modifying a 700 dllr dap, that's a big fail on onto's part

I totally agreed about it being the design flaw, and I am surprised that Onkyo hasn't even .....solved it yet ?

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #6,844 of 16,326
just got x1, and after playing for some times I have some issues 

1) after transferring files to 200 GB sandisk,  on the playlist  some folders reads like this  ( 000- "name of file " )  I'm on mac and I transferred them from a previous WD hard disk , a;lso on folder parts , you would find one song only or two

2) problem with connecting to a Bose sound link by Bluetooth , it only works if its rite next to the speaker , when you move few meters away , sounds keeps lagging and doesn't work 

3) very poor wifi connection to my router and it doesn't engage , while any other gadgets connects perfectly , includes. Samsung tv. AK 320, MacBook and iPhone 6 

Also someone posted here a case by van nuys that just sells in japan ,   does anyone have an idea where to find it or can be shipped to the US ...

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #6,845 of 16,326
I'm in Hawaii and I was told it was purchased from eglobalcentral. I have no receipt to leave the purchase so I'm guessing I can't claim it under warranty but I'm going to contact onkyo and see how it goes
Is it feasible to get it back to Onkyo under a warranty claim?

I had to send mine back as the balanced port was literally unusable. I had volume differences between left and right channel and/or a crackling noise, depending on the position of the 2.5mm plug.
Not sure about eglobalcentral but PriceJapan was really helpful and Onkyo just replaced the dap for a brand new one. All together it took a little more than 4 weeks (a week each way (Hawaii to Japan)) and 10 days for PJ to get the replacement. Also, I'm trying to forget that I paid $70 for shipping and another $20 for screen protector replacement.
The gap around the 2.5/3.5 ports is about the same as before although the 2.5mm port seems to flex less

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #6,846 of 16,326

1) after transferring files to 200 GB sandisk,  on the playlist  some folders reads like this  ( 000- "name of file " )  I'm on mac and I transferred them from a previous WD hard disk , a;lso on folder parts , you would find one song only or two

2) problem with connecting to a Bose sound link by Bluetooth , it only works if its rite next to the speaker , when you move few meters away , sounds keeps lagging and doesn't work 

3) very poor wifi connection to my router and it doesn't engage , while any other gadgets connects perfectly , includes. Samsung tv. AK 320, MacBook and iPhone 6 

Also someone posted here a case by van nuys that just sells in japan ,   does anyone have an idea where to find it or can be shipped to the US ...

Don't know about 2) or 3), but did you try to reset and/or update the firmware?

Re 1) The folder browse implementation of Onkyo shows hidden Mac files. Just google "remove mac ._ files" and you'll find a few suggestion. One of the easiest options is the Blueharvest app. While it is $15, they offer a 30-day trial of the full version con the company website. I have used that on a 200GB sd card and it took a less than a minute and and only a few minutes for my 1TB drive .

ou can use Blueharvest. They offer a 30-day trial of the full version. I have used that on a 200GB sd card and it literally took a few minutes

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #6,847 of 16,326

much appreciate your suggestion  I will search for it, and hope it will solve the mac issue

as for 1) and 2 )  yes I upgraded to  the latest software as soon as I took the onkyo out of the box

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #6,849 of 16,326

I bought the van nuys case from amazon.com.jp
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=headfiorg-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.jp%2Fgp%2Faw%2Fd%2FB018RXI1PM%2Fref%3Dmp_s_a_1_6%3Fqid%3D1459363152%26sr%3D8-6%26pi%3DAC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65%26keywords%3Donkyo%2Bdp-x1%26dpPl%3D1%26dpID%3D51RsHU7jSML%26ref%3DplSrch
I went through zenmarket website and had them order it for me. I also ordered the dignis case, the onkyo screen protector and the belt loop attachment for the van nuys through them.

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #6,850 of 16,326
  I just ordered an X1.  What is the fix for the 2.5mm balanced plug I read about?

The jacks stand slightly proud so it's fairly easy to create a reinforcing 'collar' around them. I used JB Weld epoxy. I masked off the top of the jacks themselves, and build up a bead of epoxy around each one that also flowed a little into the gap. The result is rock solid. You can also use Sugru or acrylic resin as Whitigir suggests. 

Don't use cyanoacrylate adhesive (SuperGlue) on its own, it could make matters worse.

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #6,851 of 16,326
It is a shame that people have to do this, and perhaps all DP-X1 owners can contact Onkyo and let them know that the issue exists and remains a risk, even if a modest risk. I do take the point that stiffer cables are certain to put more stress on the jack so that can't be ignored. Maybe everybody contacting Onkyo won't benefit us per say, but if it helps future Onkyo products, or other future revision DP-X1 owners out the effort isn't wasted. I suspect that Onkyo isn't really as aware as they should be of the design weakness.

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #6,853 of 16,326
  Just a quick question about balanced in ear. What is needed and what brands would sound good under $400? Do I need a special set for the DP-X1? I like my Sennheiser CX 485 single ended. I am waiting on a balanced cable for OPPO PM-3 to be made. I would like a pair of reasonably priced in ears that are good sound quality. Is that possible? I am not sure about the TRSS and how to get the balanced output to sound good. I can wear headphones around the house but for listening in public would like in ears.

If you get an IEM with detachable cables such Shure's that have MMCX or other IEM's with either, 2 pin or T2 connectors you could get TRRS replacement cables from Linum, I chose this option with my SE535's

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #6,854 of 16,326
Honestly speaking, I am pretty tired of those 'design flaw' claim on the jack. I would love to yell loud to Chord as well, 'Hey, your Hugo have a design flaw, let me teach you how to use acrylic to fix it...' Man, we are not using a toilet pump :D

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #6,855 of 16,326
  Honestly speaking, I am pretty tired of those 'design flaw' claim on the jack. I would love to yell loud to Chord as well, 'Hey, your Hugo have a design flaw, let me teach you how to use acrylic to fix it...' Man, we are not using a toilet pump :D

Well, in reality despite me having defended the jack issue there have been a few solid failures now and quite a few reports of wobbly jacks. Now that may not constitute a major issue, but it certainly can't be ignored either. If Chord has issues hopefully Chord customers are making them aware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back