ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 6, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #6,886 of 16,326
Gotta say the same about Ether + Onkyo, a nifty combo, sure the impact won't match Burson but hell, for a portable to achieve this kind of quality back 3 years ago was unheard of.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #6,887 of 16,326
It's my second post about onkyo Bluetooth problem
It seems the unit has difficulties with either connecting to a Bose speaker or even my car pioneer unit
Both had never any problem streaming music through them previously even my AK 320 connects to both flawlessly
I tried resetting the speaker also updated the onkyo
Whenever the onkyo is 2 meters away of the unit sound struggles.
I checked on internet for similar problem. Couldn't find
Any suggested solution or is it a defect unit from Japan !

I have the same problem with bluetooth, seems to be very poor implementation. Also whenever pairing with bluetooth headphones I notice SQ is worse then when playing from my sony tablet. I don't use dp-x1 with wireless headphones so it's not a big problem for me. Onkyo's wifi is also quite horrible, 4 meters from the router starting to loose signal.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #6,889 of 16,326

I have the same problem with bluetooth, seems to be very poor implementation. Also whenever pairing with bluetooth headphones I notice SQ is worse then when playing from my sony tablet. I don't use dp-x1 with wireless headphones so it's not a big problem for me. Onkyo's wifi is also quite horrible, 4 meters from the router starting to loose signal.

I didn't have either of those issues with my DP-X1. I used WiFi with a Sonos Play and my router was one floor above me with walls and a door in between. Same with the Bluetooth, I thought it sounded and performed very well with my Bluetooth headphones.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #6,890 of 16,326

Its wifi standard is Japan standard. Try change the band to 2/8 on 2.4G or 48 on 5G.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #6,894 of 16,326

I have a very large library on mine and have experienced no playback problems. I doubt that it's the number of files in your library that's causing the player to hang. Have you installed any third-party apps that might be interfering with playback?

What is it that's missing with the EQ? It seems infinitely flexible and adjustable to me. The only annoyance I've found is the fact that the stock player doesn't operate in landscape mode. Tweaking EQ points is more difficult in the narrow portrait mode.

I have installed 2 apps, Tidal and USB Audio Player Pro.  The EQ doesn't scale well because the player has very little digital headroom.  If you try to increase frequencies it is very easy to clip the signal.  For example, sometimes I an in the mood for bass and a slight to moderate increase in the lower frequencies causes clipping and therefore major distortion.  My Cowon allows for a huge increase in bass that allows me to be a bass head.  I have 2 great headphones for bass - the Fostex TH900 and the JVC HA-SZ2000.  The worst EQ dap I own is the Ibasso DX100.  This Onkyo is the second worse.  Heck, even my old antique Sony NW-HD1 had a more functional EQ and that was over 10 years ago.  

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #6,895 of 16,326
  I have installed 2 apps, Tidal and USB Audio Player Pro.  The EQ doesn't scale well because the player has very little digital headroom.  If you try to increase frequencies it is very easy to clip the signal.  For example, sometimes I an in the mood for bass and a slight to moderate increase in the lower frequencies causes clipping and therefore major distortion.  My Cowon allows for a huge increase in bass that allows me to be a bass head.  I have 2 great headphones for bass - the Fostex TH900 and the JVC HA-SZ2000.  The worst EQ dap I own is the Ibasso DX100.  This Onkyo is the second worse.  Heck, even my old antique Sony NW-HD1 had a more functional EQ and that was over 10 years ago.  

I agree I have not fared to well when trying to use the EQ on my DP-X1 and as a result very seldom use it all much these days

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #6,896 of 16,326
  I agree I have not fared to well when trying to use the EQ on my DP-X1 and as a result very seldom use it all much these days

Thank you for agreeing with me.  We can only use their app in balanced mode so we are stuck using this pathetic EQ.  I don't like it when companies that are supposedly experienced in audio design decide to do these things.  My Onkyo 805 receiver held me up very well until I decided to go to separates.  A lot more design work, testing, and verification went into the 805. I ended up selling it to a friend at a very low price and he is now enjoying it.  It was a solid unit.  I also have their integrated A9070 that I used for about a year until I replaced it with a Yamaha S2000.  I honestly think on the software side the DP-X1 is not completely developed.  I hope they are able to fix it with a firmware upgrades.  I really want to continue to like Onkyo.  The 805 was a workhorse for me that I used for years and it was an engineering marvel.  It was even great at taking native DSD and playing it without converting it in direct digital mode. 

I don't know why I purchased another product that contains an ESS dac and this will be my last for a while at least. I guess it was out of curiosity and for learning. I have very sensitive ears to treble and I they get fatigued very easily.  At work I play music all the time so that means about 40 hours a week.  It is an Olasonic small desktop dac/amp/headphone amp/pre that contains a pcm1792a Burr Brown dac.  Not once have my ears been fatigued, not through headphones or speakers.  

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #6,897 of 16,326
Thank you for agreeing with me.  We can only use their app in balanced mode so we are stuck using this pathetic EQ.  I don't like it when companies that are supposedly experienced in audio design decide to do these things.  My Onkyo 805 receiver held me up very well until I decided to go to separates.  A lot more design work, testing, and verification went into the 805. I ended up selling it to a friend at a very low price and he is now enjoying it.  It was a solid unit.  I also have their integrated A9070 that I used for about a year until I replaced it with a Yamaha S2000.  I honestly think on the software side the DP-X1 is not completely developed.  I hope they are able to fix it with a firmware upgrades.  I really want to continue to like Onkyo.  The 805 was a workhorse for me that I used for years and it was an engineering marvel.  It was even great at taking native DSD and playing it without converting it in direct digital mode. 

I don't know why I purchased another product that contains an ESS dac and this will be my last for a while at least. I guess it was out of curiosity and for learning. I have very sensitive ears to treble and I they get fatigued very easily.  At work I play music all the time so that means about 40 hours a week.  It is an Olasonic small desktop dac/amp/headphone amp/pre that contains a pcm1792a Burr Brown dac.  Not once have my ears been fatigued, not through headphones or speakers.  

Lol, I agree here. I am not a fan of ESS Sabres, I like cirrus, Wolfson, Burrbrown better. However, I am going to have PHA-3 arriving soon, which is also ESS...lol. Lately I am auditing a very good DAC/AMP that uses dual Burrbrown 1793 and do DSD natively. It is IFI Micro IDSD, and yeah....I like it a lot. may want to check it out ? :D

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #6,898 of 16,326
Lol, I agree here. I am not a fan of ESS Sabres, I like cirrus, Wolfson, Burrbrown better. However, I am going to have PHA-3 arriving soon, which is also ESS...lol. Lately I am auditing a very good DAC/AMP that uses dual Burrbrown 1793 and do DSD natively. It is IFI Micro IDSD, and yeah....I like it a lot. may want to check it out ?
biggrin.gif

Actually one of my coworkers has the IFI DSD dac.  I remember it sounding great but it has been about a year.  My next purchase is going to be a cd player and I am thinking Chinese because I am not able to find one that I like for an acceptable price.  I have to say that my best source is a Lite Audio Dac-60 that I have modified heavily.  It is a Chinese dac that sounded mediocre stock but modified, well I haven't heard a better dac.  Sorry to get off of topic. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #6,900 of 16,326
  I didn't have either of those issues with my DP-X1. I used WiFi with a Sonos Play and my router was one floor above me with walls and a door in between. Same with the Bluetooth, I thought it sounded and performed very well with my Bluetooth headphones.

You must've been lucky to get a good unit. Wifi may have been fixed with setting the 5GHz channel to 48, I'll test it a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back