ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 6, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #6,901 of 16,326
Anyone know the difference between Japanese version and US one?  Buying from PriceJapan is much cheaper than buying from Amazon here.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #6,902 of 16,326
  Anyone know the difference between Japanese version and US one?  Buying from PriceJapan is much cheaper than buying from Amazon here.

AFAIK, there's no us version(international ver) for onkyo dpx1, all onkyo are japanese version, I ask my local dealer, and he said that.
for now all onkyo are japanese version, still dunno when the international version comes out.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #6,904 of 16,326
Actually there are two versions. Japan version and HK+Europe version.

The HK+Europe version use variable line out as phone out to increase the volume to max = Japan version. I think it is more of a European law thing.

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #6,905 of 16,326
Anyone here dealt with Onkyo service yet? How did they perform?

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #6,907 of 16,326
It has an EQ but it doesn't scale well.  If you start increasing frequencies the signal starts clipping.  This is a sign of having little digital headroom in their design.  

I have installed 2 apps, Tidal and USB Audio Player Pro.  The EQ doesn't scale well because the player has very little digital headroom.  If you try to increase frequencies it is very easy to clip the signal.  For example, sometimes I an in the mood for bass and a slight to moderate increase in the lower frequencies causes clipping and therefore major distortion.  My Cowon allows for a huge increase in bass that allows me to be a bass head.  I have 2 great headphones for bass - the Fostex TH900 and the JVC HA-SZ2000.  The worst EQ dap I own is the Ibasso DX100.  This Onkyo is the second worse.  Heck, even my old antique Sony NW-HD1 had a more functional EQ and that was over 10 years ago.  

I have installed 2 apps, Tidal and USB Audio Player Pro.  The EQ doesn't scale well because the player has very little digital headroom.  If you try to increase frequencies it is very easy to clip the signal.  For example, sometimes I an in the mood for bass and a slight to moderate increase in the lower frequencies causes clipping and therefore major distortion.  My Cowon allows for a huge increase in bass that allows me to be a bass head.  I have 2 great headphones for bass - the Fostex TH900 and the JVC HA-SZ2000.  The worst EQ dap I own is the Ibasso DX100.  This Onkyo is the second worse.  Heck, even my old antique Sony NW-HD1 had a more functional EQ and that was over 10 years ago.  

I agree I have not fared to well when trying to use the EQ on my DP-X1 and as a result very seldom use it all much these days

There is NO digital headroom in modern music recordings. The only way to EQ is down, unless you tweak your system using things like ReplayGain to lower the digital signal before processing. But audiophiles hate stuff like that ("where'd my bit perfect recording go??") so Onkyo doesn't do it.

Other alternatives:
1. Automatically apply a fixed negative preamp to the EQ (makes the music quieter the moment you push the EQ button, everybody thinks the EQ makes the sound muffled. FiiO did this and nobody uses their EQ either)
2. Quietly apply a fixed negative preamp ALL the time, even when EQ is off. Again this throws away bit-perfectness.
3. Do (1), but automatically increase the master volume to compensate. FiiO did this for the X1 and people complained why the max volume decreases with EQ on. :facepalm: Still one of the best solutions so far. But, I don't think this is possible to do (or at least very complicated) on an Android platform.
4. Quietly apply a digital soft limiter to the EQ, so you don't hear obvious distortion. Now a digital soft limiter shouldn't change the signal at all when you're not clipping, but when you're clipping the soft limiter does its work by dynamically compressing your music further. Only a band-aid to the problem to be sure.

In short, EQ is between a rock and a hard place when facing people who expect it to break the laws of digital audio. The only solution is to learn how to use it properly.

You can easily bring the whole EQ curve down below clipping on the Onkyo app by dragging down on an empty part of the graph (i.e. not dragging directly on the curve).

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 7, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #6,908 of 16,326
There is NO digital headroom in modern music recordings. The only way to EQ is down, unless you tweak your system using .....

You can easily bring the whole EQ curve down below clipping on the Onkyo app by dragging down on an empty part of the graph (i.e. not dragging directly on the curve).

beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #6,910 of 16,326

warranty and possible gap-in-the-jack problem. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #6,911 of 16,326

AFAIK, there's no us version(international ver) for onkyo dpx1, all onkyo are japanese version, I ask my local dealer, and he said that.
for now all onkyo are japanese version, still dunno when the international version comes out.

I spoke with an onkyo rep today US DP-X1 release is 3rd or 4th week of April.

are this info valid? any statement from onkyo US ?
if it's true, than I'll be happy to hear that.
I've been waiting for my onkyo from early jan

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #6,912 of 16,326
There is NO digital headroom in modern music recordings. The only way to EQ is down, unless you tweak your system using things like ReplayGain to lower the digital signal before processing. But audiophiles hate stuff like that ("where'd my bit perfect recording go??") so Onkyo doesn't do it.

Other alternatives:
1. Automatically apply a fixed negative preamp to the EQ (makes the music quieter the moment you push the EQ button, everybody thinks the EQ makes the sound muffled. FiiO did this and nobody uses their EQ either)
2. Quietly apply a fixed negative preamp ALL the time, even when EQ is off. Again this throws away bit-perfectness.
3. Do (1), but automatically increase the master volume to compensate. FiiO did this for the X1 and people complained why the max volume decreases with EQ on. :facepalm: Still one of the best solutions so far. But, I don't think this is possible to do (or at least very complicated) on an Android platform.
4. Quietly apply a digital soft limiter to the EQ, so you don't hear obvious distortion. Now a digital soft limiter shouldn't change the signal at all when you're not clipping, but when you're clipping the soft limiter does its work by dynamically compressing your music further. Only a band-aid to the problem to be sure.

In short, EQ is between a rock and a hard place when facing people who expect it to break the laws of digital audio. The only solution is to learn how to use it properly.

I was going to try and educate myself on digital EQ ... you've saved me a lot of googling and reading 
beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #6,913 of 16,326
Also, the EQ / spectrum graph flashes red when clipping happens in real time. That shows you when you need to bring the EQ setting down.

For comparing the flat output vs an EQed setting (which would be quieter, if you follow the instructions above to avoid clipping), I advise adding a new Preset that's just the flat default line but dragged down to match the EQed volume. This way you can compare the settings at equal volume and let your ears judge more fairly whether the EQ setting is making an improvement or not. Yes you're not doing bit-perfect output with the lowered flat setting, but if you believed that compromises audio quality you should not be EQing in the first place... :p

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 7, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #6,915 of 16,326
My listening session today Onkyo DP-X1 in balanced AGC mode:

Audeze EL8 Titanium headphones (2016 EL8 series) with Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite Fusion 4-Wire balanced cable:

Music:
Jazz at the Pawnshop Double Rate DSD (DSD128) from NativeDSD.com/Naxos.

Excellent positioning of musicians AND the crowd. Goosebumps on my skin when you hear people get up and and leave; surreal!
Soundstage was a tad small in width and length (compared to my AKG K 712 headphones with DHC Prototype Molecule 4-Wire 25awg copper single-ended cable) but gorgeous depth!
A very very involving experience.

---

Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's with DHC Symbiote SP Fusion Fusion 8-Wire balanced cable:

Music:
'Dark Side of the Moon' 30th Anniversary Edition Hybrid SACD by Pink Floyd.
With the help of a friend with 1st gen PS3, ripped SACD into DSD.

I don't think there are any words I know of that can describe the experience, or my tears.
This was breathtaking, with lush details, incredible dynamics, fast transients and epic panning of sonic instruments.
This was etheral... <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back