ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 7, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #6,931 of 16,326
Failure rates are simply too high to import without the assumption that you'll eventually be without your DAP for a period of time, will have to pay additional loot for return shipping, and incur headaches in general.

What is your time and stress worth?

Much respect to those who took the plunge and for whom it worked out. Much compassion to those who tried and had failures of one type or another.

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #6,932 of 16,326
  Failure rates are simply too high to import without the assumption that you'll eventually be without your DAP for a period of time, will have to pay additional loot for return shipping, and incur headaches in general.

What is your time and stress worth?

Much respect to those who took the plunge and for whom it worked out. Much compassion to those who tried and had failures of one type or another.

Hence the advice to anyone who has imported to take some action to better secure those jack sockets.

As far as I'm aware that's the only reported hardware failure to date.

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #6,933 of 16,326
Nothing widespread, but numerous quality control issues: bad SD readers, balanced output, circuitry in general. This is in addition to software faults like the wonky volume tracking, etc.

I want to love this DAP so badly... please oh please fix this stuff before it gets stateside, Onkyo!

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #6,934 of 16,326
My listening session today Onkyo DP-X1 in balanced AGC mode:

Audeze EL8 Titanium headphones (2016 EL8 series) with Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite Fusion 4-Wire balanced cable:

Music:
Jazz at the Pawnshop Double Rate DSD (DSD128) from NativeDSD.com/Naxos.

Excellent positioning of musicians AND the crowd. Goosebumps on my skin when you hear people get up and and leave; surreal!
Soundstage was a tad small in width and length (compared to my AKG K 712 headphones with DHC Prototype Molecule 4-Wire 25awg copper single-ended cable) but gorgeous depth!
A very very involving experience.

---

Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's with DHC Symbiote SP Fusion Fusion 8-Wire balanced cable:

Music:
'Dark Side of the Moon' 30th Anniversary Edition Hybrid SACD by Pink Floyd.
With the help of a friend with 1st gen PS3, ripped SACD into DSD.

I don't think there are any words I know of that can describe the experience, or my tears.
This was breathtaking, with lush details, incredible dynamics, fast transients and epic panning of sonic instruments.
This was etheral... <3

Jazz at the Pawnshop my very 1st Hi Res purchase and never regretted a moment as I was buying blind with only short exerts.
I have since purchased the SACD 30th Anniversary and having ripped to my library play this constantly. Great choice.

Hence the advice to anyone who has imported to take some action to better secure those jack sockets.

As far as I'm aware that's the only reported hardware failure to date.

Luckily my DP-X1 is not a device I rely totally on so IF it had to go back, annoying as it may be, would personally not be a heartbreak. But I'm hoping I never have to call on the warranty at all

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #6,935 of 16,326
Jazz at the Pawnshop my very 1st Hi Res purchase and never regretted a moment as I was buying blind with only short exerts.

I have since purchased the SACD 30th Anniversary and having ripped to my library play this constantly. Great choice

Thanks dude!

I'm not a jazz person per se, though I really enjoy Yoko Kanno's work, especially from the jazz based post-war anime Kids on the Slope.
However I heard so much about this record, especially the DSD conversion process, that I decided to get the main album in Double rate DSD (DSSD128), and also the Late Night extra album in Quad rate DSD (DSD256).
Though this hasn't converted me to Jazz, though I I do enjoy it on the odd occasion, this album is simply awe inspiring for record technique, atmosphere and the surreal pseudo-reality the music portrays.

I'll later listen to both albums on my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's with DHC Symbiote SP Fusion 8-Wire balanced cable.

^^

Oh, and btw, what led you to get the SACD version, or did you purchase this before the Double DSD were released, or cost, etc.
From what I understand NativeDSD (2xHD) made separate hq and each DSD and DXDstreams from the original tapes...

Nevermind, realised you was talking about getting the DSotM SACD 30th Anniversary, my bad.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #6,936 of 16,326
Thanks dude!

I'm not a jazz person per se, though I really enjoy Yoko Kanno's work, especially from the jazz based post-war anime Kids on the Slope.
However I heard so much about this record, especially the DSD conversion process, that I decided to get the main album in Double rate DSD (DSSD128), and also the Late Night extra album in Quad rate DSD (DSD256).
Though this hasn't converted me to Jazz, though I I do enjoy it on the odd occasion, this album is simply awe inspiring for record technique, atmosphere and the surreal pseudo-reality the music portrays.

I'll later listen to both albums on my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's with DHC Symbiote SP Fusion 8-Wire balanced cable.

^^

Oh, and btw, what led you to get the SACD version, or did you purchase this before the Double DSD were released, or cost, etc.
From what I understand NativeDSD (2xHD) made separate hq and each DSD and DXDstreams from the original tapes...

Nevermind, realised you was talking about getting the DSotM SACD 30th Anniversary, my bad.

I was new to this Hobby of ours and did not know too much about DSD so bought 24Bit 352Khz from HD Tracks, did a search for classic or must have Jazz albums.
So the very first two purchases were Jazz at the Pawnshop and Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" both in ALAC 24/352

Both of which I now own as a SACD discs for safe keeping, both ripped to my library as FLAC 24/192, FLAC 24/352 and DSD128 (again was experimenting when ripping)

My choice for flexibility now is FLAC 24/192 this way it plays on all my devices.

No I was talking about Jazz at the Pawnshop 

I thought there was only ever 11 tracks, then discovered there was a Jazz at the Pawnshop 2 then found this gem.

I have a Sony P3 (early version FW3.5 and software to rip SACD) so made sense for me

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #6,937 of 16,326
Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's with DHC Symbiote SP Fusion Fusion 8-Wire balanced cable:

This was breathtaking, with lush details, incredible dynamics, fast transients and epic panning of sonic instruments.
This was etheral... <3

I also tried Heir Audio 3 Ais with original cable on SE, the sound is impressive.
etysmile.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #6,938 of 16,326
Ok, I've kinda kept this hidden except on Twitter (@theoneinyellow) and partially on FB.

My Japanese imported Onkyo DP-X1 developed a fault early February. :'(
Fault is complicated but here goes.
Audio from the 3.5 mm headphone jack (TRS) failed. Only half signal or no signal.
My DP-X1 kept showing permanent Balanced audio output.
No updates, restarts, multiple factory resets, could fix the issue. This was a genuine hardware fault.
(I took pics of the issue but for warranty purposes; if you guys really want proof I'll post but I hope you'll just trust me on this).
I had no balanced cables until last week, so in February I was unable to continue using my DP-X1. I was incredibly upset.
Worse was that I had installed the DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector, and was worried that if I claimed warranty would I get a new one?

So, I contacted my retailer, PriceJapan.com (Kaneda), and via shipping cost sent my unit to them. They confirmed that they would not give a new DPA-GL033 and I would need to buy again, after repair or replacement of my broken DP-X1.
From there they sent it to Onkyo JP. Now, according to what I've been told, my unit had an internal hardware fault of some sort, and Onkyo could not fix it.
So they sent to PriceJapan.com a BRAND NEW DP-X1! More so, Onkyo kindly gave in the box a BRAND NEW DPA-GL033 without official packaging, in recognition that I had used one on my old DP-X1!

HOW COOL IS THAT!?! XD

After PriceJapan.com got the replacement, they asked for return shipping cost ($45.00). That was last week. Got my unit a days ago (Monday)! (Got my replacement and upgraded Audeze EL8 Titanium headphones this week too, for my broken 2015 Audeze EL8 CB. This is an unrelated but sadly coincidental issue fully resolved).

I also got last week from Double Helix Cables three cables for three headphones, of which two are balanced, so I can finally use my replacement Onkyo DP-X1 unit in both balanced BTL and/or AGC mode! Quick conclusion; AGC IS KING at small sacrifice to power.

Thus, if you buy from PriceJapan.com, and are willing to pay shipping costs, you will have warranty honoured by Onkyo but on behalf of you by PriceJapan.com (not direct).

I'm pretty happy!

Happy everything worked out for you! Do you mind me asking what you paid in addition to the $45 return postage. Ie sending the unit to Japan?

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #6,939 of 16,326
Onkyo's website keeps saying "soon". I wish it were "soon" already.

I'm wondering if Onkyo's delay on US release is. .....

1) Back order issues.
2) Trying to fix hardware issues.
3) Trying to fix software issues.

Or God forbid.......

4) All of the above!

I know the stated release date WAS beginning of April, hmmmm, curiouser and curiouser....:scream::scream:

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #6,941 of 16,326
I'm wondering if Onkyo's delay on US release is. .....

1) Back order issues.
2) Trying to fix hardware issues.
3) Trying to fix software issues.

Or God forbid.......

4) All of the above!

I know the stated release date WAS beginning of April, hmmmm, curiouser and curiouser....:scream::scream:

Just check the amazon sellers list. There is a listing by onkyo USA . its 799$ though.Just ordered one , says it will ship from CA-USA after april 14th. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01AWLQ1AY

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #6,942 of 16,326
Ok, I've kinda kept this hidden except on Twitter (@theoneinyellow) and partially on FB.

My Japanese imported Onkyo DP-X1 developed a fault early February. :'(
Fault is complicated but here goes.
Audio from the 3.5 mm headphone jack (TRS) failed. Only half signal or no signal.
My DP-X1 kept showing permanent Balanced audio output.
No updates, restarts, multiple factory resets, could fix the issue. This was a genuine hardware fault........
...Worse was that I had installed the DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector, and was worried that if I claimed warranty would I get a new one?

So, I contacted my retailer, PriceJapan.com (Kaneda), and via shipping cost sent my unit to them. They confirmed that they would not give a new DPA-GL033 and I would need to buy again, after repair or replacement of my broken DP-X1.
From there they sent it to Onkyo JP. Now, according to what I've been told, my unit had an internal hardware fault of some sort, and Onkyo could not fix it.
So they sent to PriceJapan.com a BRAND NEW DP-X1! More so, Onkyo kindly gave in the box a BRAND NEW DPA-GL033 without official packaging, in recognition that I had used one on my old DP-X1!

HOW COOL IS THAT!?! XD

Thus, if you buy from PriceJapan.com, and are willing to pay shipping costs, you will have warranty honoured by Onkyo but on behalf of you by PriceJapan.com (not direct).

I'm pretty happy!

I had a very similar experience! In my case the 2.5mm jack failed. I also send it back to PriceJapan and while I had to pay for the DP-GL033 screen protector I too got a brand new DP-X1 :)

@MadDane: I paid shipping both ways ($65 total) and the screen protector.

Kaneda was very helpful: once I explained the issue in detail he immediately suggested to send the unit back for warranty repair

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #6,943 of 16,326
It seems there must be different 'batches' of onkyo as some have greater gaps than others based in pics in this thread. Hopefully the more recent purchases have a smaller gap - I just purchased one and will take picks when it arrives in a few weeks.

However I do plan as insurance to use some suguru to fill the gap anyway. My plan is shape the suguru super thin and then push it into the gap with a toothpick.

The gap of my warranty DP-X1 was just as big as that of the previous unit (received 2 month earlier). It seemed that the jacks were less wobbly though. Could have been wishful thinking.

WRT your plan of filling the gap with sugru: i did it exactly the way you described in. The beauty about sugru is that you can just cut of the excssive material around the jack with a sharp blade.

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #6,944 of 16,326
I was new to this Hobby of ours and did not know too much about DSD so bought 24Bit 352Khz from HD Tracks, did a search for classic or must have Jazz albums.
So the very first two purchases were Jazz at the Pawnshop and Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" both in ALAC 24/352

Both of which I now own as a SACD discs for safe keeping, both ripped to my library as FLAC 24/192, FLAC 24/352 and DSD128 (again was experimenting when ripping)

My choice for flexibility now is FLAC 24/192 this way it plays on all my devices.

No I was talking about Jazz at the Pawnshop 

I thought there was only ever 11 tracks, then discovered there was a Jazz at the Pawnshop 2 then found this gem.

I have a Sony P3 (early version FW3.5 and software to rip SACD) so made sense for me

My first DSD tracks actually from Blue Coast Records, and though they sound great, certainly not the type of music I'd listen to often.

What interested me in the Jazz at the Pawnshop was that EVERYBODY knows about it, I never heard it until this week, and the insane setup the guy's at Native DSD used to create separate digital audio streams.
Believe it or not, the SACD most likely won't sound as good as the new NativeDSD separate DSD64/DSD128/256/DXD versions, but WILL sound better than previous versions.
I'm just glad you're enjoying it regardless.

I also wanted DSD from music I listen to, and I do own Hybrid SACD's of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral, so was eager to try these out on the DP-X1 in SACD to DSD rips (which were done last year).

24/96 and 24/192 are still excellent high quality digital mediums, and work on most gear from the last three years (approx).
I still have lots of above CD quality stuff (24 bit minimum) but most of my music is Redbook CDDA (CD) quality, simply because my music tastes are in that format.
That said, artists are releasing music in greater than CD quality, such as Ben Lukas Boysen's new upcoming album Spells ^^

I also tried Heir Audio 3 Ais with original cable on SE, the sound is impressive. :etysmile:

Though I still wish to upgrade to the Noble Audio K10 CIEM's (yes, even after hearing about the amazing Empire Ears), I still love my Dr Moulton handmade Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's (before he left to form Noble Audio).

To hear these IEM's in the finest gear I can muster is gobsmackingly awesome!
These IEM's do trump my Audeze EL8 Titanium (new 2016 EL8 series) in micro details, but my EL8 Ti's are new and I'm burning them in by using them.

Happy everything worked out for you! Do you mind me asking what you paid in addition to the $45 return postage. Ie sending the unit to Japan?

I'll find out once I find my receipt, about £22 I think from memory...

BTW, i get plenty of power with lcd-3. using default balanced cable with ebay 4 pin balanced to 2.5mm trrs adapter.. volume at 122 and it sounds pretty loud!

The power of the DP-X1 in high gain BTL balanced is very loud indeed, though AGC is sonically better at a small loss of power. Either mode, resolving power is nuts.
That said, in a heartbeat and if I could I'd get the ALO Audio Continental Dual Mono, get a Double Helix Cables 2.5 mm to 2.5 mm balanced interconnect, use DP-X1 balanced and send signal into 2.5 mm CDM balanced input, for the ultimate balanced rig!

Or get a Cavalli Audio Carbon v2 :wink:

I love the crystalline clarity of the Delta-Sigma based DP-X1 <3

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #6,945 of 16,326
I had a very similar experience! In my case the 2.5mm jack failed. I also send it back to PriceJapan and while I had to pay for the DP-GL033 screen protector I too got a brand new DP-X1 :)

@MadDane
: I paid shipping both ways ($65 total) and the screen protector.

Kaneda was very helpful: once I explained the issue in detail he immediately suggested to send the unit back for warranty repair

Sucks you didn't get a free new DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector, I was lucky because I knew I had to pay but Onkyo JP had a kind heart.

Though my issue sounds like a jack issue, it probably was something else internally. I have no idea.
I think personally that there was a batch issue rather than the entire DP-X1 production units. Peter of Double Helix Cables reports no problems either.
Anyway, mine works now but I'm keeping a close eye...

Kaneda was very helpful. There was some delay in communication but this was because Japan's custom tried to charge him with a customs tax for faulty equipment (my incoming to Japan DP-X1), and eventually got that resolved.
Overall he got the job done, fast, if you take out stupid shipping companies (Royal Mail FU sometimes) and incorrectly placed customs.

I was worried I had to pay for customs getting my unit back but thankfully HMRC did right; no charge :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back