ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 8, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #6,946 of 16,328
The gap of my warranty DP-X1 was just as big as that of the previous unit (received 2 month earlier). It seemed that the jacks were less wobbly though. Could have been wishful thinking.

WRT your plan of filling the gap with sugru: i did it exactly the way you described in. The beauty about sugru is that you can just cut of the excssive material around the jack with a sharp blade.

Would you mind posting pics? Could you elaborate ? Did you put the suguru around the entire circumference ? How deep and how many layers?

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #6,948 of 16,328
My first DSD tracks actually from Blue Coast Records, and though they sound great, certainly not the type of music I'd listen to often.

What interested me in the Jazz at the Pawnshop was that EVERYBODY knows about it, I never heard it until this week, and the insane setup the guy's at Native DSD used to create separate digital audio streams.
Believe it or not, the SACD most likely won't sound as good as the new NativeDSD separate DSD64/DSD128/256/DXD versions, but WILL sound better than previous versions.
I'm just glad you're enjoying it regardless.

I also wanted DSD from music I listen to, and I do own Hybrid SACD's of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral, so was eager to try these out on the DP-X1 in SACD to DSD rips (which were done last year).

24/96 and 24/192 are still excellent high quality digital mediums, and work on most gear from the last three years (approx).
I still have lots of above CD quality stuff (24 bit minimum) but most of my music is Redbook CDDA (CD) quality, simply because my music tastes are in that format.
That said, artists are releasing music in greater than CD quality, such as Ben Lukas Boysen's new upcoming album Spells ^^

I don't know about you but when listening with IEM's or Headphones occasionally I find myself looking over my shoulder as you hear someone in the audience place a glass on the table or the movement of a chair or other noises and sounds, it's just spooky.

It's a great recording in almost any format I happen to like Jazz but I was looking for a widely appreciated recording and all comments a you found pointed to this recording.

I was moving away from DSD as I found my players would occasionally glitch or I get a pop during playback, this was using UAPP or even the DP-X1. But I assume you have no such issues?

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #6,949 of 16,328
My friend and I have a Lazer Cutter in house, I just want to check the numbers of people who are interested on Carbon Fiber Vinyl Skins for our Music player Onkyo DP-X1 and the Pioneer Counter part.  I've been searching for months for skins or case on ebay, amazon, gmarket, and onkyo's website themselves and have not been lucky so im making one myself.

We're starting the prototyping of the design today when we receive the sheets and will post any update of process.  

I'm also designing a very minimal case, more like a minimal bumper.  If there is enough desire and want for it then we will make a small batch of these project and will start a small etsy page for it.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #6,951 of 16,328
Just a short post to point out that the DP-X1 is almost unique in that its default music player is great for classical music users.

The user can have files listed by Composer tag. This tab can also be shifted to a prominent position in the interface.

Classical > Work > Title is the most preferred sort for classical and is rarely catered for in this industry.

That is one of the reasons I returned a Fiio X7.

The user of DAPs which don't cater for Composer sort can run Onkyo HF app in android which is very similar to DP-X1 player.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #6,952 of 16,328
I don't know about you but when listening with IEM's or Headphones occasionally I find myself looking over my shoulder as you hear someone in the audience place a glass on the table or the movement of a chair or other noises and sounds, it's just spooky.

It's a great recording in almost any format I happen to like Jazz but I was looking for a widely appreciated recording and all comments a you found pointed to this recording.

I was moving away from DSD as I found my players would occasionally glitch or I get a pop during playback, this was using UAPP or even the DP-X1. But I assume you have no such issues?

Although my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's are excellent at micro details, and pretty decent in slam, the mere fact that the Audeze EL8 Titanium is so utterly organic as a whole has had me having loads of goosebumps.

Was listening to Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral Hybrid SACD ripped into DSD and I very nearly jumped when I thought something was behind me.
That's not a joke, I nearly spilled my tea!

I'm having a most satisfying experience with my Onkyo DP-X1, Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's, Audeze EL8 Titanium headphones, and balanced Double Helix Cables ^^

I have no issues with DSD playback via the Onkyo Music player, which controls how .dsf files are recognised and played back.
As I do not know which third party app players have added the protocol to give then access to the Onkyo dual ESS DAC section, I've not tried any other apps. I enjoy the Onkyo Music app immensely.

My friend and I have a Lazer Cutter in house, I just want to check the numbers of people who are interested on Carbon Fiber Vinyl Skins for our Music player Onkyo DP-X1 and the Pioneer Counter part.  I've been searching for months for skins or case on ebay, amazon, gmarket, and onkyo's website themselves and have not been lucky so im making one myself.

We're starting the prototyping of the design today when we receive the sheets and will post any update of process.  

I'm also designing a very minimal case, more like a minimal bumper.  If there is enough desire and want for it then we will make a small batch of these project and will start a small etsy page for it.

I'm down!

I should add that I use the official Onkyo DPA-PUX1 leather case with my unit. So if you create such vinyl skins I hope they are thin enough so that when I'm out and about, I can use the leather case, and at home or somewhere sitting down, take the case off and show off the vinyl wrap ^^

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #6,953 of 16,328
Just a short post to point out that the DP-X1 is almost unique in that its default music player is great for classical music users.

The user can have files listed by Composer tag. This tab can also be shifted to a prominent position in the interface.

Classical > Work > Title is the most preferred sort for classical and is rarely catered for in this industry.

That is one of the reasons I returned a Fiio X7.

The user of DAPs which don't cater for Composer sort can run Onkyo HF app in android which is very similar to DP-X1 player.

Ace! I saw the new categories and tabs after I received my replacement Onkyo DP-X1 unit, but I can see how that improves the user experience for those who enjoy classical genres.

Also cool is file browsing for those who enjoy that feature; NICE!

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #6,954 of 16,328

​Here's the new X1 I just received from Japan.  This one is the B version or black.  Were the original units grey?  Both the outputs felt solid going in.  I'll probably use the JB weld just in case. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #6,959 of 16,328

Congrats..

Also, they shipped mine already but not sure when it will be delivered to texas. Onkyo says its with 2 year USA warranty but no accessories from them as of now.

Cangrats to you too! :)

They they shipped mine also, only 20 minutes after i placed the order.  I paid a bit more (799 USD plus 59.99 for the case) but i appreciate the piece of mind that its from Onkyo USA direct.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #6,960 of 16,328
  Cangrats to you too! :)

They they shipped mine also, only 20 minutes after i placed the order.  I paid a bit more (799 USD plus 59.99 for the case) but i appreciate the piece of mind that its from Onkyo USA direct.

Woo Hoo It's HERE!!!
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back