ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 14, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #6,286 of 16,326
Hi Peridot. Many thanks for the advice, I don't want to brick the thing so I will use the SE output as you suggest.

If the EQ is digital rather than analogue, then in theory it shouldn't affect audio quality at all - interesting! We live and learn, I still can't get over being able to cram 600 odd CD's worth of lossless files on to a piece of plastic 15mm x 10mm!

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #6,289 of 16,326
Mar 14, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #6,290 of 16,326

@masterpfa , I managed to get help from the support, within an hour!  I managed to download the files after they enabled it.  I must say that it was great!

After all, the purchase was within 24 hours.

You are lucky, after a little longer they would force you to buy the album again, they are there to make money plain and simple. I know I had to buy an album a second time. I don't bother investing in HD albums anymore myself as I really never heard a difference, but to each their own as they say.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #6,291 of 16,326
You are lucky, after a little longer they would force you to buy the album again, they are there to make money plain and simple. I know I had to buy an album a second time. I don't bother investing in HD albums anymore myself as I really never heard a difference, but to each their own as they say.

Yup.

Back in the day if your car cassette deck gobbled up your new tape 15min after purchasing it you were completely SOL (yes, that happened to me). There are so many benefits to the digital age of music. That was great of HD Tracks actually.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #6,292 of 16,326
Yup.

Back in the day if your car cassette deck gobbled up your new tape 15min after purchasing it you were completely SOL (yes, that happened to me). There are so many benefits to the digital age of music. That was great of HD Tracks actually.

Me too, I'm old enough to vaguely remember 8 Tracks! I would like to put a plug in for Bandcamp here. If you find music you like there, I have found quite a bit of electronica myself, but regardless of how long ago the purchase was, you can download your purchases over and over again. I downloaded a few misplaced albums bought more than two years ago without a hitch. Now that is exceptional.

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #6,293 of 16,326
Everyone,

I updated my player today to the latest firmware and I can't help but experience a palpable drop in sound quality; the soundstage has collapsed inwards and details that were previously obvious now have a haze over them to my ears. I am going to meet a friend who has an un-updated player to do some comparisons over dinner later. Would be great to hear others' experience, be they corroborative or otherwise.

EDIT: confirmed in A/B testing, sigh

hot damn...downloaded and almost clicked update. They must've messed around with kernel ...sigh
For anyone who doesn't believe, go download custom firmware on HDP-R10 and compare with the stock ...huge differences 

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #6,296 of 16,326
Quote:
  New system update: Mar 14 SW version : 0.1.29.10
1. Stability improvement of music playback
2. Fix of user interface display problems

ysyung , others have mentioned where Sound Quality drops? Stability verse SQ? Do you know what the issues were? The only issues I've had are OTG being interrupted frequently. Otherwise stable.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #6,297 of 16,326
  hdp-r10?
wasn't it the product of ibasso?

it is , an example of how firmware could manipulate the Sound of the product itself to unimaginable levels.

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #6,299 of 16,326
Quote:

ysyung , others have mentioned where Sound Quality drops? Stability verse SQ? Do you know what the issues were? The only issues I've had are OTG being interrupted frequently. Otherwise stable.

Just updated. So far so good. I think the SQ from ACG is noticably better. More power, more spacious.

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #6,300 of 16,326
  DP-x1 in the house, been messing around with it for a few hours.  I tried searching the thread first of course but couldn't find any definitive information.  Is there anything that can see the second SD card besides the stock player?  I know streaming services can't, but it seems that Poweramp or shockingly even Onkyo HF cannot as well?

Thanks for any help, I have just the 1 sd card now, but it would be great if I could add a second in slot 2 in the future for my own music, so the streaming services could have slot 1 to themselves.

Edit: also any ideas why Poweramp is significantly louder than either Onkyo player (HF or stock)? I can't find any setting or volume option that would imply the massive difference

USB Audio Player Pro will see card 2 plus the USB storage.  There is no demo version of the app, it must be purchased.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back