ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 12, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #6,256 of 16,326
So could DP-X1 owners speak out on your experiences with the volume control?  Both the wheel, and the touch panel - are they smooth, controlled, consistent?  Or is jumping around, sporadic, etc, ?  

Yes, the wheel is smooth for scrolling but it is slightly protruding above the surface. For me i always have this problem of accidentally scrolling it.
As for the touch screen, i cant seem to get this to work.. When i swipe up/down..nothing happen.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #6,257 of 16,326
Yes, the wheel is smooth for scrolling but it is slightly protruding above the surface. For me i always have this problem of accidentally scrolling it.
As for the touch screen, i cant seem to get this to work.. When i swipe up/down..nothing happen.

Agreed. To me the protruding volume wheel is fine and easy to control if you are forgetting to turn down when switching the hp to IEM with different resistance like HD600 to IE800 so the loudness would not damage your ear drums.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #6,258 of 16,326

You need to hold on to the horizontal line and swipe up/down. It is useful for those need to make big adjustment in volume, since you gonna use the physical scroll wheel to trigger the touch function. 

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #6,259 of 16,326
Hi all! I just got my Onkyo DP-X1 after waiting for almost a month and I am upgrading from my Fiio X3ii and LG V10. I must say I am very very pleased with the sound quality I am getting and I am still a newbie in the audiophile scene, not knowing many of the jargon yet. 

I was initially using my Shure SE215SE for my listening needs while on the move and the Audio Technica ATH-MSR 7 when i'm home. However, i felt that I was under-utilising the DP-X1 when pairing it with the SE215SE. I took the plunge and went to auditioned the RHA T20 and the Shure SE425. These were the initially IEMs that I wanted to buy. However, based on the songs that I listened to (more soothing type, concert, live, occasional pop), the shop staff introduced me to the Final Audio's Heaven V Aging. I haven't heard of this brand prior to this and by the flat rubber cable and the dirty brass finish of the IEM, I thought this was garbage and was some cheap IEMs. Little did I know that when I plugged it into my ears, the sound was INCREDIBLE. I tried so many IEMs that day but this was impressive. The wide soundstage and the adequate bass makes it so HEAVENLY when listening to my kind of music. I was sold! The Heaven V Aging burst my budget but I had no regrets bursting it. All I wanted was to bring back the earphones and make it mine!!!

In all, I feel that my DP-X1 and the Final Audio Heaven V Aging makes a great pair! 

Lastly, happy to join this family to know more audiophiles and knowledge. (P.S. This is my first post, apologise if I went OOT or did anything wrong.)

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #6,260 of 16,326
You need to hold on to the horizontal line and swipe up/down. It is useful for those need to make big adjustment in volume, since you gonna use the physical scroll wheel to trigger the touch function. 

Thx..read the manual and realised that u have to turn the knob so that the vol indicator appear inorder to drag it. Was thinking u can swipe up/ down to increase the vol.
What was i thinking....

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #6,261 of 16,326
I was trying to be neutral but yes! :wink:
A search in Sound Science shows what a contentious subject this is.
It's weird how there are these issues in this hobby, like cables and burn in that people cleave to with such passion.

I'm not a balanced is better believer. I believe that each technology has its pros and cons and it's all up to the implementation, how the circuit design makes use of the advantages and overcomes the inherent problems.

I personally find (lots of others agree with me too) that the balanced output in AK players yields little or no audible difference from the single ended output. The difference between the two outputs is marginal at best.

In the case of the Onkyo, however, I find the difference in the single ended, balanced , and ACG to be very different. Single ended is to my ears a clear, and large step down from the balanced and ACG output, with ACG my Favourite.

Do note, however, that this is not something that I attribute to the balanced or dual ground technology being significantly better. In my opinion, it's all about the implementation. Certain circuits are optimised for a balanced output, and would sound best balanced. Certain circuits are optimised for the single ended output.

Take schiit for example, their top shelf stuff are designed for balanced use. Even the schiit guys don't mince their words when they said that the SE is just a throw in for people who want it. They did say, that if you're going SE purely, you're better off with other amps that cost less.

I think in the case of the Onkyo, it was clearly designed with ACG and Balanced in mind, and thus, the Single ended output is probably just a toss in for convenience. That's my take at least :)

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #6,262 of 16,326
Not sure if it was my unit but after upgrading to the latest 1.26 firmware, and when I try to power off the unit, pressing the on-screen power off does... nothing. I have to hold on to the power button for many seconds to force it to shutdown and this is improper shutdown. How do I reinstate proper shutdown?

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #6,263 of 16,326
Upcoming update

https://translate.google.com.sg/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.jp.onkyo.com/support/audiovisual/dap_soft/dpx1.htm&prev=search

● 2016/3/14 
Update schedule system · DP-X1 
After the update software version · SW version: 0.1.29.10 
Update content and stability improvement and user interface display bug improvement of music playback ※ update will start sequentially from 2016/3/14. Please take a little if you notice of the update does not appear.

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #6,265 of 16,326
Hi all! I just got my Onkyo DP-X1 after waiting for almost a month and I am upgrading from my Fiio X3ii and LG V10. I must say I am very very pleased with the sound quality I am getting and I am still a newbie in the audiophile scene, not knowing many of the jargon yet. 

I was initially using my Shure SE215SE for my listening needs while on the move and the Audio Technica ATH-MSR 7 when i'm home. However, i felt that I was under-utilising the DP-X1 when pairing it with the SE215SE. I took the plunge and went to auditioned the RHA T20 and the Shure SE425. These were the initially IEMs that I wanted to buy. However, based on the songs that I listened to (more soothing type, concert, live, occasional pop), the shop staff introduced me to the Final Audio's Heaven V Aging. I haven't heard of this brand prior to this and by the flat rubber cable and the dirty brass finish of the IEM, I thought this was garbage and was some cheap IEMs. Little did I know that when I plugged it into my ears, the sound was INCREDIBLE. I tried so many IEMs that day but this was impressive. The wide soundstage and the adequate bass makes it so HEAVENLY when listening to my kind of music. I was sold! The Heaven V Aging burst my budget but I had no regrets bursting it. All I wanted was to bring back the earphones and make it mine!!!

In all, I feel that my DP-X1 and the Final Audio Heaven V Aging makes a great pair! 

Lastly, happy to join this family to know more audiophiles and knowledge. (P.S. This is my first post, apologise if I went OOT or did anything wrong.)

http://s257.photobucket.com/user/siaoz85/media/DPX1%20and%20Heaven%20V%20Aging%203_zpsllxa6kid.jpg.html][/URL]

Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet!:wink_face:
I'll look into those iem's as well since I want to get the DP-X1.:D
Cheers and Thanks!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Mar 13, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #6,266 of 16,326

http://s257.photobucket.com/user/siaoz85/media/DPX1%20and%20Heaven%20V%20Aging%203_zpsllxa6kid.jpg.html][/URL]

Can I ask what music app is being used in this image? It looks like the stock Onkyo app but with album art in the circle?

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #6,268 of 16,326
I'm not a balanced is better believer. I believe that each technology has its pros and cons and it's all up to the implementation, how the circuit design makes use of the advantages and overcomes the inherent problems.

I personally find (lots of others agree with me too) that the balanced output in AK players yields little or no audible difference from the single ended output. The difference between the two outputs is marginal at best.

In the case of the Onkyo, however, I find the difference in the single ended, balanced , and ACG to be very different. Single ended is to my ears a clear, and large step down from the balanced and ACG output, with ACG my Favourite.

Do note, however, that this is not something that I attribute to the balanced or dual ground technology being significantly better. In my opinion, it's all about the implementation. Certain circuits are optimised for a balanced output, and would sound best balanced. Certain circuits are optimised for the single ended output.

Take schiit for example, their top shelf stuff are designed for balanced use. Even the schiit guys don't mince their words when they said that the SE is just a throw in for people who want it. They did say, that if you're going SE purely, you're better off with other amps that cost less.

I think in the case of the Onkyo, it was clearly designed with ACG and Balanced in mind, and thus, the Single ended output is probably just a toss in for convenience. That's my take at least :)

Now, you are totally correct, and this was the exact feeling that I had when I heard the DP-X1 performances. It is totally and correctly on all points from what I have witnessed and even from other devices as well.

Especially on the Onkyo, both Balanced and ACG are excellent with audio quality and reproductions. Both has different sound characteristic, and I felt that Balanced provided more power and musicality VS ACG which gave the most clarity, nuances details...etc. Both provided pitch black back ground, the most critical extensions on trebles and definition of deep sub-bass. I also agreed with the way Onkyo advertised it about ACG and Balanced. You can not go wrong with either mode. It surpasses SE in a way that once you go Balanced, you can not go back.

Finally, on the same device, if it has Balanced and SE, the properly implemented Balanced will always sound better....except AK players which used a thin ribbon cables from the jack to the PCB (people confirmed that replacing this cables do significantly improve the quality on 2.5 TRRS). Then when a device is Optimized for Single ended, it will also bring about a very good level of audio quality. However, between a properly configured SE and Balanced connections, I will always have my heart for the Balanced connection. The best SE device that I have heard and enjoyed a lot was the Mojo. The best Balanced out DAP I have heard and enjoyed would be Zx2 and DP-X1, if you can afford it, go for both DAP.

Would love to see what Onkyo would bring for the improvements of the next gen device :D.....Onkyo could made it even better if they wanted to, and I know that they can

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #6,270 of 16,326
I really like the SQ of my Onkyo HA200 DAC/Amp but would love to return to carrying one device.
I don't suppose anyone has heard it as well as the
DX-P1 and could compare both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back