ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 11, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #6,226 of 16,326
Hello I'm absolutely new here so go easy on me please. I have X7 (which I love btw) but I'm seriously considering buying this Onkyo DAP as well. Here's the point. I'd like to try some balanced gear but I know absolutely nothing about it. I currently own these cans: SENNHEISER HD650, SHURE SRH 1540, Hi-FiMAN HE-400i, AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-MSR7, FOCAL SPIRIT CLASSIC and SENNHEISER MOMENTUM M2 (yes no IEMs). Could anybody here tell me which cables shoud I get to make them balanced and fit into DP-X1's 2,5mm balanced input? I know there are not possibilities for all of them but at least something. As I said I know absolutely nothing about balanced audio and I'm lost here... So if anybody helps me I'd be glad. And please please add the URLs for the cables so I'll know where to get them. I'm from the Czech republic and it's almost impossible to find out something here... And one more little question. Does DP-X1 support gapless play? I think nobody mentioned it here and for me it's very important feature. Thank you guys.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #6,227 of 16,326
I've just purchased the DP-X1 whilst in Japan, and boy, does this DAP sing! My preliminary impressions at the Yodobashi and E-Earphone stores were fairly good, but in the comfort of my home, the DP-X1 does bring out a lot of the fun and emotion from my music. I also love the fact that the DP-X1 is Android based. It does help a lot on the customisation front. It's still early, but I think the DP-X1 is a solid winner!

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #6,228 of 16,326
Oh I didn't know it was officially released in hk, I thought it was "water goods" from price.hk. Anyway I never spotted here until now so no regret getting it in japan.

How different are the updates? For Android I guess it is similar to smartphones, we can flash any region as long as the hardware/drivers are the same, right?

Unluckily HK version comes with volume cap and people hated it because there is no regulation requirement for that. It will unlock the volume cap as told by the local dealer. But anyway they are all sold out now. People are waiting for new stock just like in this post.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #6,229 of 16,326
Hello I'm absolutely new here so go easy on me please. I have X7 (which I love btw) but I'm seriously considering buying this Onkyo DAP as well. Here's the point. I'd like to try some balanced gear but I know absolutely nothing about it. I currently own these cans: SENNHEISER HD650, SHURE SRH 1540, Hi-FiMAN HE-400i, AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-MSR7, FOCAL SPIRIT CLASSIC and SENNHEISER MOMENTUM M2 (yes no IEMs). Could anybody here tell me which cables shoud I get to make them balanced and fit into DP-X1's 2,5mm balanced input? I know there are not possibilities for all of them but at least something. As I said I know absolutely nothing about balanced audio and I'm lost here... So if anybody helps me I'd be glad. And please please add the URLs for the cables so I'll know where to get them. I'm from the Czech republic and it's almost impossible to find out something here... And one more little question. Does DP-X1 support gapless play? I think nobody mentioned it here and for me it's very important feature. Thank you guys.

My 5 cent:

For he400i , yes you can make balance cable and drive it on 2.5 . Earlier post has an example.

For msr7/momentum m2, I have tried msr7 on 3.5 with good results. I own momentum on-ear m2 and happy with it on 3.5. But both are one-sided cable, I don't think you can make it into balanced.

The HD650, I tried on 3.5. No, it cannot be driven with good results especially when it comes to rock music. I don't think 2.5 can help much on this one.

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #6,230 of 16,326
Anyone experiencing minor pops and glitches once in a while when using Tidal?  I have about a 100GB library stored on card 1.  Happens even if it is on stand alone mode.  It will happen randomly - perhaps corrupt Tidal files?  I sounds somewhat like when there are corrupt mp3 files and one would hear a small glitch or a pop.

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #6,231 of 16,326

I suggest you do more research into the theory behind balanced.

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #6,233 of 16,326
I suggest you do more research into the theory behind balanced.

Filed under "flavour of the month" or "latest bandwagon" perhaps  
evil_smiley.gif

USB Audio Player Pro is not able to access card 2.

From what I've read I thought that was the same for all third-party apps, or can some of them see both cards?

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #6,236 of 16,326

Nice!

Does USB APP sound as good as the stock Onkyo Player?

It's been my standard music player for a long time, so I'd be happy to continue using it when I get my DP-X1.

They sound the same to me on a cd redbook wav file, but the USB Player says Android is at 44.1khz, file is 44.1khz while Onkyo Music Player says Wav 44.1Khz / PCM 48kHz with DSP turned off. I'm using Foxtex TH-900 headphones using the unbalanced out and I can't tell the difference.

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #6,237 of 16,326
Filed under "flavour of the month" or "latest bandwagon" perhaps  :evil:

I was trying to be neutral but yes! :wink:
A search in Sound Science shows what a contentious subject this is.
It's weird how there are these issues in this hobby, like cables and burn in that people cleave to with such passion.

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #6,238 of 16,326
Onkyo will be at CanJam in Southern California next weekend. Hoping to attend and audition the DP-X1, get a bit more information about International release (date available, and whether the 2.5 mm. socket gap issue is fixed, USB DAC functionality implemented. These are my 2 main wish list items for the DP-X1).

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #6,239 of 16,326
  Onkyo will be at CanJam in Southern California next weekend. Hoping to attend and audition the DP-X1, get a bit more information about International release (date available, and whether the 2.5 mm. socket gap issue is fixed, USB DAC functionality implemented. These are my 2 main wish list items for the DP-X1).

Would be great to get some feedback from that.

I'm not sure whether I've ever visited an Onkyo stand at a show. I wonder if it will be populated by gormless PR types, or someone you can have a sensible discussion with? Hopefully the latter.

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #6,240 of 16,326
Hi guys a q. I tried to skim through pages but probably missed the answer

my 4 main cans are: bd-880, akg 701's and I am considering lcd-3 or he-1000.  My main goal is to use this player (If I get one) via 2.5mm balanced.

I assume that lcd-3 / he-1000 are already balanced, and just need a lcd-3 cable with 2.5mm balanced end and same for he-1000.

and for bd-880 and akg-701, i actually need to custom review cups for balanced output?>  thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back