ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 14, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #6,316 of 16,328
You can still get the 60 deal, you just need to change the seller back to Amazon.  It's not the default choice anymore because they're sold out and it will take an additional 1-3 weeks to ship, but you'll get it at the 60 dollar price

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #6,317 of 16,328
  Ignore, just checked it is from sandisk direct I think. Almost bought it, but I don't need that much space for portable use. Great deal for those who do mind you.

Wait, what?
I must have read that with my bad eye.
One can never have too much space. :)

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #6,318 of 16,328

Wait, what?
I must have read that with my bad eye.
One can never have too much space. :)

Nope, for me there is. First off, I find it really overwhelming to have my entire collection for on the go. Don't any of you find that with so much choice it: a) takes a long time to find what you want and b) it is hard to remain interested and you constantly change music? I do. As well, I only listen to better recorded music these days, after years of garbage sounding rock and metal I can't be bothered anymore so a huge portion of my collection is of no use to me anymore. I love the music, but I can't stand the terrible recordings anymore (although there are many recordings that sound good in rock and metal, but they are still vastly in the minority).

With those factors in mind I prefer to have only a smaller subset of my collection with me, realistically what I will listen to. Weird I know. Even 128GB is more than enough for me.

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #6,320 of 16,328
  Nope, for me there is. First off, I find it really overwhelming to have my entire collection for on the go. Don't any of you find that with so much choice it: a) takes a long time to find what you want and b) it is hard to remain interested and you constantly change music? I do. As well, I only listen to better recorded music these days, after years of garbage sounding rock and metal I can't be bothered anymore so a huge portion of my collection is of no use to me anymore. I love the music, but I can't stand the terrible recordings anymore (although there are many recordings that sound good in rock and metal, but they are still vastly in the minority).

With those factors in mind I prefer to have only a smaller subset of my collection with me, realistically what I will listen to. Weird I know. Even 128GB is more than enough for me.

I know not of which you speak.
biggrin.gif

I have too hard of a time deciding what to leave off.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #6,321 of 16,328
The Hong Kong version dp-x1 finally got update and fixed the volume cap issue. So it basically the same as the Japan version.

For those traveling in Hong Kong you may consider trying out / picking one up there.

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #6,323 of 16,328

I know not of which you speak.
biggrin.gif

I have too hard of a time deciding what to leave off.

The stuff you never listen to is a great starting point. We all have a part of our collection we will never listen to again, or very rarely :)

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #6,324 of 16,328
  I would like to put a plug in for Bandcamp here. If you find music you like there, I have found quite a bit of electronica myself, but regardless of how long ago the purchase was, you can download your purchases over and over again. I downloaded a few misplaced albums bought more than two years ago without a hitch. Now that is exceptional.

There should be no reason why you should not be able to download as many copies you want, you have paid for that (OK agreed the sales agreement was for a single DL bt surely it can't hurt to allow more than the single DL)

You are lucky, after a little longer they would force you to buy the album again, they are there to make money plain and simple. I know I had to buy an album a second time. I don't bother investing in HD albums anymore myself as I really never heard a difference, but to each their own as they say.

I hear that, I mostly rip my CD's, but for music I do like, I have no issue buying, Miles Davis - Kind of Blue and Jazz A The Pawnshop are 2 examples. These sound great to me and I'm happy to use such services. I personally back up to 2-3 places in addition to the SD cards in my DAP's .

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #6,325 of 16,328
It has been a while since I received my DP-X1 and soon after purchase I also got a balanced cable for my SE535. This I did as I had been keen to hear what "Balanced" sounded like.

Well? I hear you ask, 

Yes I love it and it makes for a great all in one package. Great soundstage and quite engaging

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also having the Mojo to compare, for my tastes and needs Mojo>>DP-X1 SQ, placement of instruments, musicians and singers, general soundstage and overall reproduction
I just find the Mojo SE betters the DP-X1 SE and Balanced (including AGC) IMO and YMMV

Onkyo is the more portable option and has so much going for it, so as the weather improves and the need for a coat etc diminishes and travelling light, the Onkyo will be my weapon of choice during my commute. But in the comfort of home or if travelling with means to transport the Mojo, those glowing orbs will win the day.

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #6,328 of 16,328
I agree that the Onkyo DPX1 feeding the Mojo is an outstanding combination which betters the balanced output from DXP1 by itself, but the battery life of DXP1 is my main complaint with the Wifi on I had to keep charging it up.

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #6,330 of 16,328
Can anyone share the battery life for continuous spotify or tidal stream via Wi-Fi? That would be my only use case for the dp-x1 (or the x7) if I am go get it. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back