ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 25, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #271 of 16,326

Yes, I'm well aware of the Tera's simplicity, nothing wrong with that. SQ is king IMO. You also forgot about the HM60x DAPs that are also R-2R using the Phillips TDA1543.

Actually I mistakenly said Tera has an R2R dac, that is incorrect, TDA1543 is not an R2R dac either. Tera's dac (Philips unknown), TDA1543 and PCM1704 are all Multi-bit dacs, but Multi-bit dacs come in 3 different architectures, R2R (PCM1704), Current weighted (TDA1543), and Resistor string (DAC8552). R2R design was known as the best of the Multi-bit dacs, people often confuse R2R as meaning any Multi-bit dac, which is not the case in technical terms. But in general terms all the Multi-bit dacs had similar design philosophy, very different to delta-sigma dacs.

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #273 of 16,326
Actually I mistakenly said Tera has an R2R dac, that is incorrect, TDA1543 is not an R2R dac either. Tera's dac (Philips unknown), TDA1543 and PCM1704 are all Multi-bit dacs, but Multi-bit dacs come in 3 different architectures, R2R (PCM1704), Current weighted (TDA1543), and Resistor string (DAC8552). R2R design was known as the best of the Multi-bit dacs, people often confuse R2R as meaning any Multi-bit dac, which is not the case in technical terms. But in general terms all the Multi-bit dacs had similar design philosophy, very different to delta-sigma dacs.

True. Non Delta-Sigma tends to be lumped specifically in the R-2R camp, and I'm guilty as charged. :)
My personal preference is non-Delta-Sigma. I don't like how it smears the detail, especially from the Sabre implementations.

Anyway, back to the Pioneer and Onkyo.

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #275 of 16,326
My personal preference is non-Delta-Sigma. I don't like how it smears the detail, especially from the Sabre implementations.

I have a HM-603 and had HM-801, they sound nice in terms of musicality, but they can't compete with modern daps in terms of detail and balance. I like Sabre dac's, I haven't heard any detail smearing, it's all down to the implementation rather than the dac imo.

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #276 of 16,326
I have a HM-603 and had HM-801, they sound nice in terms of musicality, but they can't compete with modern daps in terms of detail and balance. I like Sabre dac's, I haven't heard any detail smearing, it's all down to the implementation rather than the dac imo.

I agree with musicday, this could be a very long and interesting conversation that really doesn't belong here. I will say that the detail in Sabre DACs is there, up front and centre, but the fidelity is not. Smearing in the sense of texture and realism, nuances and acoustics. Others will blanket it with the term musicality from multibit.

Agree also on the implementation from both sides of the fence, including power supply and analogue stages. Please PM me if you want to continue the discussion as I respect your views.

That all said, again, I look forward to impressions of these players.

Sep 25, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #277 of 16,326
Let's take Tera player discussion on the Tera player thread.
This thread is about Onkyo.
Once is out we can compare both.

Funny you say this as I swear in every single thread I go all I see is you talking about Tera player this, Tera player that. You consider what you hear as "the fact", stop being so condescending my friend. 

Sep 26, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #279 of 16,326
If I wanted Tera talk I would sub to it. It's a free country I guess...but oh so tedious to have to wade through the Tera related cr@p to find posts of interest on the Onkyo.

There ya go

Specs on the front page. I am also tired of flipping through pages of off item talk. I did one post myself  

**looks in mirror**

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #281 of 16,326
Tastefully chunky, like a bar of chocolate you can't wait to devour.

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #283 of 16,326
I see a signal bar on the front screen. Maybe calling functions a possibility?

I can't see it on any of the 'in-hand' shots (only the Aeroplane mode symbol) - It only shows on the rendered pic.
I doubt it will have a phone/sim function or it would be published in the specs.

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #284 of 16,326
I can't see it on any of the 'in-hand' shots (only the Aeroplane mode symbol) - It only shows on the rendered pic.
I doubt it will have a phone/sim function or it would be published in the specs.

if that will have a signal bar as well oh boy then that is too much to take as a gift for this year, wishful thinking but maybe it does have it 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back