ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #2,221 of 16,326
Rudi, a head-fi member who has owned many AK and Chord Products confirmed that Onkyo's Balance output is on lvl of Mojo but having different sound

Enjoy your Onkyo.

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #2,223 of 16,326
  What Rudi says is held in high esteem by me personally, he has a ridiculously extensive collection of high end gear and he has many years of experience in this hobby.

+1
He told me about Kaisertone app on iphone to try out and said it's better than Neutron. I went and bought then realized what he said is true lol

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #2,224 of 16,326
+1
He told me about Kaisertone app on iphone to try out and said it's better than Neutron. I went and bought then realized what he said is true lol

Yeah, he has also helped me in the past, he is very knowledgeable, and from chats with him I've come to believe we have similar taste in sound sig from daps, cool guy as expected 
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #2,225 of 16,326
So Have you managed to compare both of them?

Quote:
Nope. Just knowing the driving capabilities of both, the very different headphone out implementations, the vast differences in the DACs, and the RMAA measurements it's a fact. Like I said, on a technical level. Don't let me stop anyone from enjoying either one.

Why have an opinion about which device sounds better when you haven't tried either?

Forget about specs and measurements. Its about how they sound.

It is possible (especially if another user who actually tried both confirms it) that Onkyo's dual dacs and balanced output could sound equal to the single end output of a great amp. Shame the Mojo doesn't have balanced out.

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #2,226 of 16,326
Why have an opinion about which device sounds better when you haven't tried either?

Forget about specs and measurements. Its about how they sound.

It is possible (especially if another user who actually tried both confirms it) that Onkyo's dual dacs and balanced output could sound equal to the single end output of a great amp. Shame the Mojo doesn't have balanced out.

I wasn't giving an opinion on sound and I'm not saying the Onkyo sounds bad, better, worse or anything compared to the Mojo. I'm just pointing out that the statement that 'it's on the same level' as the Mojo is a bold statement knowing how good the Mojo is technically vs the off the shelf components in the DP-X1. Why does everyone have to get uppity about a passing comment?

I'm glad you guys are grooving on the DP-X1.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #2,227 of 16,326
Well rudi did tell me in a private chat that he finds the mojo to be on another level as compared to the Onkyo balanced output.

Now that aside, with regards to my personal opinion, I find the mojo to be technically superior to the Onkyo. To my ears at least, it is more resolving, dynamic, and more musically tuned. It's also ridiculously powerful, and so versatile. Now I know many people believe otherwise but the mojo is extremely sensitive to the transport that it is paired with. Not all transports sound as good. At least that's what my ears tells me. It sounds great out of a clean USB source though.

Where the Onkyo clinches it to my ears, would be the airiness, openness and spaciousness of the soundstage. In that regard, the Onkyo (on balanced out only) does exceptionally well, far better than I would expect it to.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #2,228 of 16,326
Dec 18, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #2,231 of 16,326
Hi all, my first post in headfi. May i know if anyone has had problems with the dpx1 reading files off the SD cards? I have a collection of around 400 folders split between 2x 128 SD cards and the player takes a long time to read all the folders and even then misses some... Which magically reappear if i restart the player but some other files then disappear! Anyone had a similar experience or can shed light as to what is happening and/or remedies? Many thanks!

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #2,234 of 16,326
Hi all, my first post in headfi. May i know if anyone has had problems with the dpx1 reading files off the SD cards? I have a collection of around 400 folders split between 2x 128 SD cards and the player takes a long time to read all the folders and even then misses some... Which magically reappear if i restart the player but some other files then disappear! Anyone had a similar experience or can shed light as to what is happening and/or remedies? Many thanks!

That's strange.
I put two 128GB cards, one filled with DSD and one filled with FLAC, both Exfat and not formatted by the player itself. Takes less than a minute for all files to be read by the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back