Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Jun 10, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #1,262 of 1,608
Jun 10, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #1,263 of 1,608
I'm considering this DAP because of the seemingly price to performance ratio. Are there any DAPs within say $10 to $100 more that are a lot better?

Spec-wise, I certainly haven’t found one that’s better. It is a very good value DAP, sounds great to my ears, handles all the main file types, and can go beyond 400gb. One point is that it does physically feel cheap in your hand, but I’ve never really minded that, I like the fact it’s small and light.

Jun 10, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #1,264 of 1,608
Spec-wise, I certainly haven’t found one that’s better. It is a very good value DAP, sounds great to my ears, handles all the main file types, and can go beyond 400gb. One point is that it does physically feel cheap in your hand, but I’ve never really minded that, I like the fact it’s small and light.
Thanks for the info. Have you ever compared it to the Cowon Plenue D? That's what I listen to 95% of the time these days. Tried a Google search for a comparison between the two but didn't find much. I know the PD would win in the battery life department.

Jun 11, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #1,265 of 1,608
Thanks for the info. Have you ever compared it to the Cowon Plenue D? That's what I listen to 95% of the time these days. Tried a Google search for a comparison between the two but didn't find much. I know the PD would win in the battery life department.
I had the Plenue D. I sold it shortly after buying the DP-S1. The Onkyo is streets ahead in terms of presentation and imaging. The UI is also better, especially with the more recent firmwares. Then of course you have a second memory slot in the DP-S1. Battery life is the better on the D, but that's not an issue for me. I loved the Plenue D when I bought it, but I could not go back to it now.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #1,266 of 1,608
I had the Plenue D. I sold it shortly after buying the DP-S1. The Onkyo is streets ahead in terms of presentation and imaging. The UI is also better, especially with the more recent firmwares. Then of course you have a second memory slot in the DP-S1. Battery life is the better on the D, but that's not an issue for me. I loved the Plenue D when I bought it, but I could not go back to it now.

+1 - totally agree with this

I guess it also depends on how much you love the EQ settings on the Plenue, I found them entertaining - but, as said above, the Onkyos hardware produces a sound you cannot reach using the synthetic settings on the Plenue. And the Plenue’s Hardware is some way behind.

Jun 11, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #1,267 of 1,608
I'm considering this DAP because of the seemingly price to performance ratio. Are there any DAPs within say $10 to $100 more that are a lot better?

I havent tried any DAPs above this one's price but i have tried things like the Fiio X1 Gen 3, Hidizs AP60 I and II, and Cayin N3 and so far I like the Onkyo much better in terms of interface, touchscreen bonus, and sound quality (significantly better). Those are cheaper DAPs though, so it kind of makes sense.

Jun 12, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #1,270 of 1,608
Man these extremely depressed prices really kill the second hand market. Thanks a lot Onkyo/Pioneer...

That said, if anyone wants my DP-S1 and fantastic leather case, check out my classified ad.

Dang that was an insanely good deal like you said!

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #1,271 of 1,608
I havent tried any DAPs above this one's price but i have tried things like the Fiio X1 Gen 3, Hidizs AP60 I and II, and Cayin N3 and so far I like the Onkyo much better in terms of interface, touchscreen bonus, and sound quality (significantly better). Those are cheaper DAPs though, so it kind of makes sense.
+1 - totally agree with this

I guess it also depends on how much you love the EQ settings on the Plenue, I found them entertaining - but, as said above, the Onkyos hardware produces a sound you cannot reach using the synthetic settings on the Plenue. And the Plenue’s Hardware is some way behind.
Well, decided to bite the bullet and get the DP-S1. Hoping for big improvements over my PD. Also looking forward to a Bluetooth option without using my phone.

Jun 14, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #1,273 of 1,608
Version 1.21/18223AEP - Changed Short cut button for Hi-bit 32 and Upsampling on home screen - Added actual volume values to volume limiter setting - Disable screen turning on from volume knob operation during HOLD setting - Re-sort compilation albums as “V.A.” (Various Artists) - Improved automatic switching when connected to USB DAC devices - Security function improvements - Overall stability improvements

Hello,
I can not create a compilation album of several artists. the album is on Itunes where I checked the option "the album is a compilation of several artists" but on the x dap link when I import the albums in question, it does not work ...
According to the update quoted above it should be possible to create compilations but I do not know how to proceed ...
Thank you for your help

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #1,274 of 1,608
Is it possible that a future firmware update on the XDP30r could allow for USB line output in pcm format alongside the DSD output? I only ask because as others have mentioned (I've had my DAP for about 2 weeks now and use the line output via the headphone jack and notice how "cheap" it feels. It feels like it wouldn't take too much usage on the jack until there would be nothing left to grip the plug insert. In comparison, my 10 year old iPod classic's headphone jack still feels like the day I bought it. Other than the feel of the headphone jack I am really appreciating the upgrade in sound quality over the iPod.

Jun 15, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #1,275 of 1,608
Is it possible that a future firmware update on the XDP30r could allow for USB line output in pcm format alongside the DSD output? I only ask because as others have mentioned (I've had my DAP for about 2 weeks now and use the line output via the headphone jack and notice how "cheap" it feels. It feels like it wouldn't take too much usage on the jack until there would be nothing left to grip the plug insert. In comparison, my 10 year old iPod classic's headphone jack still feels like the day I bought it. Other than the feel of the headphone jack I am really appreciating the upgrade in sound quality over the iPod.

I agree with the jack assessment. Seem flimsy and cheap, and occasionally the plug just seems to pop out on its own.
Other than that (and maybe one or two minor quibbles)... I love this DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back