Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
May 19, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #1,246 of 1,608
Has any of you tried to use the power management as sleepmode for 30r? Seems like mine will not shutdown if it is playing. Any of you have similar experience?

I want to use the dap to sleep but maybe the power management are for when you forgot to shut it down.

May 19, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #1,248 of 1,608
I would be curious to your thoughts on the surf cable.

I like it a lot. Unfortunately the only removable cable (2-pin) IEM's that I own are not all that resolving (still looking), so I really cannot comment on the sound aspect. However they are at least as good as the stock cables, or the other set of balanced cables that I got from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073Q18GZ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). The Amazon ones are also very good.

As far as build quality, both balanced cable are quite good. I'm not a huge fan of memory wire (I wear glasses and they can be a pain...), but the Surf is not too bad and easily pushed out of the way for insertion or back down around the ear for wear. Not a lot of microphonics on either set of cables. The Amazon cable doesn't have memory wire, and they work very well over my ears with my glasses.

Hope that helps.

May 20, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #1,249 of 1,608
I like it a lot. Unfortunately the only removable cable (2-pin) IEM's that I own are not all that resolving (still looking), so I really cannot comment on the sound aspect. However they are at least as good as the stock cables, or the other set of balanced cables that I got from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073Q18GZ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). The Amazon ones are also very good.

As far as build quality, both balanced cable are quite good. I'm not a huge fan of memory wire (I wear glasses and they can be a pain...), but the Surf is not too bad and easily pushed out of the way for insertion or back down around the ear for wear. Not a lot of microphonics on either set of cables. The Amazon cable doesn't have memory wire, and they work very well over my ears with my glasses.

Hope that helps.
I've gone through a few different Balanced cables for my Westone ES60s. Two pairs of iBasso's both pairs had shorts at the mmcx connectors. A pair of Moon Audio Silver Dragons again issues with the mmcx connectors, had to add mini gold washers to mmcx connectors. The washers work for about a month or so then you havIe to flip them over because they compress. I finally settles on the fiio's they work fine but have no memory wire. I like the way memory wire routes the cable behind the ears so I may order up a Surf cable.

May 20, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #1,250 of 1,608
Another minor observation on this... and again it may be due to the low resolution and somewhat slow IEMs I’m using for this experiment... is that the difference between balanced out and standard on the Onkyo seems to be more about power than sound quality.

I have a difficult time distinguishing tonal or soundstage delta between the two Onkyo outputs.

The volume difference for me is about 5 clicks. And that’s about it.

So I’ve gone back to using my favorite IEMs (which don’t allow for balanced cables) on the Onkyo because the quality of sound on them far outweighs any minor improvement with the balanced signal.

May 22, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #1,251 of 1,608
does anyone here own any other higher end DAPs or compared the Onkyo extensively to something from AK (70II, KANN), Sony (NW300, WMA1)?

i'm curious whether the DAC and AMP chips in those other players really expand on the audio quality of onkyo?

specifically i'm looking at some of those DAPs because i'd like to have a 1-in-all DAP that i can also use as a USB DAC and it seems like all of the above besides WMA1 support that functionality. The KANN is there because it's the only one that offers 2 usb cards, something that i really like about the onkyo, and i'm hoping with new releases a second hand KANN will dip well below the retail.

May 30, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,253 of 1,608
yes, when you buy it and see the 192/blah/blah/blah stuff on the bottom that's all printed on a screen protector. you can rub it off and keep the protector as-is without buying a new one unless you completely trash it.

Hi guys i have one qustion is there an screen protector préinstalled on the DP S1 Rubato ? Thanks in advance .

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #1,255 of 1,608
Jun 2, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #1,257 of 1,608
might be ancient looking, but functional and very fast. This is an audio device, after all - how much you're looking at the screen? (158 bucks are a steal, good catch!)
Great price.
And yes... it's a brilliant audio device that has a lot of features including MQA... if that means anything to anyone reading this.

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #1,258 of 1,608
might be ancient looking, but functional and very fast. This is an audio device, after all - how much you're looking at the screen? (158 bucks are a steal, good catch!)

Great price.
And yes... it's a brilliant audio device that has a lot of features including MQA... if that means anything to anyone reading this.

Just received it this morning from UPS. So far, I'm impressed with the sound quality. It's more refined than my previous DAPS (Hidizs AP60 v1 and v2, and Cayin N3, as well as iPod Shuffle I still use).

The touchscreen interface isnt as bad as I thought. It works, functional. Not glamorous as other interfaces but it works faster than I thought.

It would be cool if you could customize it a bit more but I'm overall happy with my initial impressions.

Love the balanced feature, since I've made balanced cables for all my IEMs and headphones.

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #1,259 of 1,608
IMG_20180602_144905.jpg

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #1,260 of 1,608
I just got one of these and have a dumb question - is there a plastic screen protector already installed on the player that has the tech specs on the bottom? or is the tech spec permanently bonded to the screen? In the pic above I still see the tech spec summary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back