Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Apr 25, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #1,216 of 1,608
Hi Guys (especially those who have the 30R),

I just received my 30R yesterday and still playing around with it to "tune" the sound. Been trying the filters, EQ and stuff..

Anyway, what suprises me the most is when I'm trying the upsampling.
To mu ears, when I switch to 96 or 192 upsampling, the sound changes significantly.. Everything is more refined, bass is tighter, presentation move several rows back, etc.
I think I like this "upsampling sound" better than the default one.

1. Can you guys share why this is? since I've never used upsampling option in anything I've owned previously
2. Would you recommend to use this upsampling going forward?
3. Could you share your favourite settings with the 30R (e.g. filters, eq, upsampling, gain, etc.)?

I'd appreciate the advice, thanks guys!

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #1,217 of 1,608
It looks like I may have a firmware revison that is out of date as I am still missing MQA too even though it tells me no newer firmware is available. I loaded the 1.20 to a card and tried manually but it doesnt even give me the option to load from the SD (greyed out).
Previously on this thread when folks had update issues here's something that helped a few folks. Turn WiFi on then turn the unit off. Turn it on again leaving WiFi enabled. It seems that it tries to determine if an update is needed when it powers up which requires WiFi to be enabled to contact the mother ship to get the current version. If you get lucky since I remember you complaining about poor wireless it will then automagically download the updated firmware version.

Apr 26, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #1,218 of 1,608
Previously on this thread when folks had update issues here's something that helped a few folks. Turn WiFi on then turn the unit off. Turn it on again leaving WiFi enabled. It seems that it tries to determine if an update is needed when it powers up which requires WiFi to be enabled to contact the mother ship to get the current version. If you get lucky since I remember you complaining about poor wireless it will then automagically download the updated firmware version.

Tried that too - no joy. It shows connected to wifi and tidal works but still no MQA on anything and none of the other updates people have referenced. Version shows 1.21 which should make it the latest and greatest.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #1,219 of 1,608
I've just got my 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable and is literally second song in ("Hell is Chrome" and "Spiders" from Wilco's A Ghost Is Born) on my first listen... I made an effort to analyse the same tracks before I replaced the cable (which was pretty badly worn out, so it could be that). But everything is fuller, and rounder, more dynamics... quite impressed!

One of my main observations over the last year with the Onkyo is that I've come to realize the Lock Range Adjustment is hugely important to me. I find that having it set to as Narrow as possible (far right setting) gets the best soundstage and is the most natural sounding. I've been aiming to use that setting for a long time, but realized that (as the warning suggests), it becomes too much for the DAC to bear on busier material (especially with 24-bit FLACs), and it starts skipping intermittently. 16-bit/44.1khz stuff it handles OK, so I ramp it up for the CD stuff. And turn it down for 24-bit FLAC.

Anyhow, it just occurred to me (though I hadn't anticipated this before I got the cable) -- by using the Twin DAC feature and having a DAC dedicated to one channel at a time, it seems to be able to deal with the highest LRA setting with no skips!! If I had known this, I would have switched to balanced earlier!

I'm throwing my busier and highest sampled stuff at it at the moment. Fingers crossed.

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #1,220 of 1,608
I've just got my 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable and is literally second song in ("Hell is Chrome" and "Spiders" from Wilco's A Ghost Is Born) on my first listen... I made an effort to analyse the same tracks before I replaced the cable (which was pretty badly worn out, so it could be that). But everything is fuller, and rounder, more dynamics... quite impressed!…
You might want to try the 2 different balanced output modes. They're described in the manual and commented on in this thread. Basically you choose between what I think of as a standard balanced output, which is to say a sine wave with double the amplitude of the SE output. The other one keeps the negative output at a flat zero level and just has the positive moving on a sine wave. This means that this output will be the same volume as the SE output but can potentially be better controlled. I prefer this mode and I think its preferred on this thread too. But you can use the standard type of balanced output if you need the extra amplification.

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #1,221 of 1,608

I just received my 30R yesterday and still playing around with it to "tune" the sound. Been trying the filters, EQ and stuff..

To mu ears, when I switch to 96 or 192 upsampling, the sound changes significantly.. Everything is more refined, bass is tighter, presentation move several rows back, etc.

1. Can you guys share why this is? since I've never used upsampling option in anything I've owned previously
3. Could you share your favourite settings with the 30R (e.g. filters, eq, upsampling, gain, etc.)?

I have the Onkyo DP-S1, and the upsampling did sounds big improvement for me too on CD quality 16bit pcm 44.1khz and lower tracks through my Mojo or just the Onkyo to my SE846, for higher quality tracks it doesn't offer upsampling anyways.

settings if i remember correctly:
filter or eq is off
32bit
short
middle

with both 192k and 32bit, without mojo, on/off the 192/32 it's not a very big difference even on the 2.5 balanced out, but with mojo turning on off the 192/32, sound stage is wider and over all sound are smoother and fuller, i really don't know if it's the processing on mojo or the onkyo did this or both, if anyone can explain in a more technical way.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #1,222 of 1,608

Hmm, I prefer no upsampling and to my ears I feel that the bass is a bit less if I use 32bit. I use the SLOW filter.

So I am not using any of the upsampling actually....
Mostly listen to this little gem with my R1, K10 and UE11 - sometimes with balanced cable, sometimes not.
Cheers.

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #1,223 of 1,608
You might want to try the 2 different balanced output modes. They're described in the manual and commented on in this thread. Basically you choose between what I think of as a standard balanced output, which is to say a sine wave with double the amplitude of the SE output. The other one keeps the negative output at a flat zero level and just has the positive moving on a sine wave. This means that this output will be the same volume as the SE output but can potentially be better controlled. I prefer this mode and I think its preferred on this thread too. But you can use the standard type of balanced output if you need the extra amplification.
No, BTL doesn’t double the amplitude, it doubles the available current per channel by driving each driver with one amplifier. I’m not sure what Onkyo’s implementation of AGC looks like, but it too doesn’t increase the voltage.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #1,224 of 1,608
No, BTL doesn’t double the amplitude, it doubles the available current per channel by driving each driver with one amplifier. I’m not sure what Onkyo’s implementation of AGC looks like, but it too doesn’t increase the voltage.

Sorry, but I have no idea how you reach that conlcusion. From their product page for the DP-S1 Onky say "Two modes are available: BTL, to increase driving power, and ACG mode for enhanced stability."

BTL as applied to balanced outputs does not increase the voltage swing relative to ground, but by applying the same signal in antiphase to the other end of the load instead of no AC signal, the available AC voltage swing that can be developed across the load is doubled. For a given load impedance this doubling of signal voltage quadruples the available power - a simple application of P = V ^ 2 / R. Onkyo's product specification says 150mW for BTL and 75mW for single ended, so it may be that they do not allow a full output swing in BTL mode for some reason.

The ACG (Active Control Ground) mode is the same as a normal single ended output from a signal amplitude point of view, of course, it simply allows each channel to have completely separated return paths for the current driving ear earphone..

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,225 of 1,608
Sorry, but I have no idea how you reach that conlcusion. From their product page for the DP-S1 Onky say "Two modes are available: BTL, to increase driving power, and ACG mode for enhanced stability."

BTL as applied to balanced outputs does not increase the voltage swing relative to ground, but by applying the same signal in antiphase to the other end of the load instead of no AC signal, the available AC voltage swing that can be developed across the load is doubled. For a given load impedance this doubling of signal voltage quadruples the available power - a simple application of P = V ^ 2 / R. Onkyo's product specification says 150mW for BTL and 75mW for single ended, so it may be that they do not allow a full output swing in BTL mode for some reason.

The ACG (Active Control Ground) mode is the same as a normal single ended output from a signal amplitude point of view, of course, it simply allows each channel to have completely separated return paths for the current driving ear earphone..
You're totally right. I have no damn idea what I was thinking when I posted that...

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #1,228 of 1,608
Is there a closed and cheap case for this item ? I think of some kind of "hard mesh" like these for external harddisks. I could find one for my Plenue D that is very inexpensive and fits perfectly.
Something like this
image.php
I 'd like to find the same for DPS1/XDP30R...

Apr 30, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #1,229 of 1,608
My DP-S1 seem to have developed channel imbalance in balanced mode, the left channel is significantly weaker. Does anyone have this issue?
If you didn't already, check if your cable is plugged in completely (both on the headphone end and also into the player). If that doesn't work, I'd try a different cable, if you have one.

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #1,230 of 1,608
One of my main observations over the last year with the Onkyo is that I've come to realize the Lock Range Adjustment is hugely important to me. I find that having it set to as Narrow as possible (far right setting) gets the best soundstage and is the most natural sounding. I've been aiming to use that setting for a long time, but realized that (as the warning suggests), it becomes too much for the DAC to bear on busier material (especially with 24-bit FLACs), and it starts skipping intermittently. 16-bit/44.1khz stuff it handles OK, so I ramp it up for the CD stuff. And turn it down for 24-bit FLAC.

24-bits - slider midway to the right is OK
DSF - only middle position works, anything to the right (->narrow) makes the DAC skip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back