Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Apr 9, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #1,126 of 1,608
I don't listen to measurements, I listen to music. Music is subjective. If you find both the players to be exactly the same musically speaking, then I guess you can be doubly happy!
I'm sorry, but measurements dictate exactly how the sound will be reproduced. There is *nothing* subjective about the reproduction of music. This behavior is far too prevalent here on Head-Fi among enthusiasts supposedly chasing the best sound. If not for measurements, how would you even know where to start looking?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #1,127 of 1,608
I'm sorry, but measurements dictate exactly how the sound will be reproduced. There is *nothing* subjective about the reproduction of music. This behavior is far too prevalent here on Head-Fi among enthusiasts supposedly chasing the best sound. If not for measurements, how would you even know where to start looking?

Well, I "believe" in measurements, not that "they" particularly care. :) But that doesn't mean that a measurement, per se, has value nor validity. SNR (signal-to-noise ratio) is a fine example and not only in audio. When photos are shown to large audiences, those shot with FILM that have MEASURABLY lower SNR than a digital image of the same subject score HIGHER due to the way the Human Visual System interprets "noise".

And a sine wave IS a useful comparison tool but . . . it's a comparative tool even if little if any sound resembles a sine wave. But it's a precise and easy to repeat test. So it's used.

EKGs are the result of a chaotic waveform controlling the contraction of heart muscle cells. THAT wave form, for the use of the medical analyst, is HIGHLY filtered to be comparatively meaningful.

Who "ignores" measurements when it comes to the servicing of their car, the maintenance of a passenger jet aircraft, or the health of themselves or their family members ? Sound (and vision) may be ALOT more complicated than tire tread depth or a measuring the hours on an airframe but . . . that doesn't mean it's not a worthy endeavor. How did all this progress occur WITHOUT repeatable measurements ? (Disclaimer: Scientific Method: Hypothesis, Experiment (and measurements), Findings, Next Steps).

If the hardware AND the software are the same . . . aside from manufacturing variances, how could they sound differently ? Maybe they "can" but . . . it seems hard to measure a (mental) gremlin. :)

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #1,128 of 1,608
To be clear, I didn't say that I don't believe in measurements. Listening (not reproduction) to music is very subjective and doesn't always correlate to measurements. I do use the published specs as a guideline for electronics purchases, But ultimately it's my ears that decide.

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #1,129 of 1,608
At the risk of adding fuel…

I believe in measurements. I also know that just because one thing is measured doesn't mean that something else needs to be measured also but isn't. So I can accept without pause that 2 things that measure identically are different. Add in the subjective nature of people and music and I think it'd be foolish for anyone to argue that certain measurements are the definitive description of an item. I honestly don't think that the measurements are meaningful camp are arguing this.

I think where the trouble comes in is when there's an argument that basically says everything is subjective and facts don't mean anything. For example, its a fact that 2 + 2 = 4 baring argumentative things like what number base is being used, etc. However if someone comes along and says that they believe with their entire being that 2 + 2 = 5 and their fact is just as valid as the first fact. I honestly think even the everything is subjective folks would admit that 2 + 2 = 4 regardless of the strong belief of the arguer.

But if it was about say the bass and sub bass response in a comparison of 2 different IEMs. If the frequency response of A were 10db different from B and was larger I'd have a real issue with someone coming along and saying that they don't care about the measurements B has more low end response than A and that's absolutely true because they can hear it.

On the other hand, take the same comparison but this time make the frequency response match almost completely. I would have no problem with someone claiming that B sounds like it has more bass. Because I understand that a frequency response graph isn't the only thing that describes the sound produced. But I would if they quantified the amount of difference being double or more. Again because I can look at the frequency response and know that if they are almost identical that the sound produced will be similar but I could explicitly add the qualification that they need not sound identical.

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #1,130 of 1,608
At the risk of adding fuel…

I believe in measurements. I also know that just because one thing is measured doesn't mean that something else needs to be measured also but isn't. So I can accept without pause that 2 things that measure identically are different. Add in the subjective nature of people and music and I think it'd be foolish for anyone to argue that certain measurements are the definitive description of an item. I honestly don't think that the measurements are meaningful camp are arguing this.

I think where the trouble comes in is when there's an argument that basically says everything is subjective and facts don't mean anything. For example, its a fact that 2 + 2 = 4 baring argumentative things like what number base is being used, etc. However if someone comes along and says that they believe with their entire being that 2 + 2 = 5 and their fact is just as valid as the first fact. I honestly think even the everything is subjective folks would admit that 2 + 2 = 4 regardless of the strong belief of the arguer.

But if it was about say the bass and sub bass response in a comparison of 2 different IEMs. If the frequency response of A were 10db different from B and was larger I'd have a real issue with someone coming along and saying that they don't care about the measurements B has more low end response than A and that's absolutely true because they can hear it.

On the other hand, take the same comparison but this time make the frequency response match almost completely. I would have no problem with someone claiming that B sounds like it has more bass. Because I understand that a frequency response graph isn't the only thing that describes the sound produced. But I would if they quantified the amount of difference being double or more. Again because I can look at the frequency response and know that if they are almost identical that the sound produced will be similar but I could explicitly add the qualification that they need not sound identical.
I appreciate your nuanced approach. The issue is that these two devices are physically identical in their circuitry and indeed, the circuit board itself. The only difference is the external case and some mild UI color differences...and the logo. It would be akin to someone listening to two identical pairs of headphones painted different colors and then suggesting they sounded different.

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #1,131 of 1,608
I appreciate your nuanced approach. The issue is that these two devices are physically identical in their circuitry and indeed, the circuit board itself. The only difference is the external case and some mild UI color differences...and the logo. It would be akin to someone listening to two identical pairs of headphones painted different colors and then suggesting they sounded different.
I think its impossible and foolish to try to disprove that these two devices are identical in circuitry BUT is that also the case with the tuning of the sound which is software based?

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #1,132 of 1,608
Greetings all!

Does this player support OGG files at all? My FIIO x5 (Gen 1) died on me over the weekend - so I bought the XDP-30r. Unfortunately, most of my files are OGG files...I somehow knew that would come back to haunt me one day.

Anything I can do, or I am resigned to spending a ton of time re-encoding my tunes?

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #1,133 of 1,608
Greetings all!

Does this player support OGG files at all? My FIIO x5 (Gen 1) died on me over the weekend - so I bought the XDP-30r. Unfortunately, most of my files are OGG files...I somehow knew that would come back to haunt me one day.

Anything I can do, or I am resigned to spending a ton of time re-encoding my tunes?

No sir. It does not. Maybe get yourself a license of dbPoweramp and run a batch recode? Maybe there's a free tool out there that offers the same flexibility...

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #1,135 of 1,608
No sir. It does not. Maybe get yourself a license of dbPoweramp and run a batch recode? Maybe there's a free tool out there that offers the same flexibility...

I second this recommendation. I've been using dBpoweramp for several years and it's well worth the modest fee for a full license. The batch conversion tool is very powerful, and can include not just format conversion, but sample rates, bit depth, metadata, and so on. The package comes with several popular codecs included, but there are many others also available at no extra cost. If like me you buy CDs, the CD ripper is excellent and fast and includes AccurateRip checking of the resultant data.

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #1,136 of 1,608
Hi Again,

So I'm having a serious problem with this device now.

I am operating off of two Sandisk microsd cards...one is 200GB, one is 128GB. The first couple of days I was dragging and dropping files on to the device no problem - and they were syncing. NOW, I can drag and drop - and new files are appearing in Windows Explorer on the SD card, but not showing up on my device. The device just isn't reading them. All the files from the last couple of days are fine.

I should mention that the files I am dealing with are both mp3's and FLAC's...same issue with both.

Any ideas??

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #1,137 of 1,608
Hi everyone, just a question. I'm using AK Rosie balanced on the xdp 30r however I realised that the bass on the left is much more prominent than the right. As I do not have other balanced iems could it be the cables or the player issue? I've tried it to 3.5mm and the drivers works fine so I doubt it's the problem with the drivers.

Apr 13, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #1,138 of 1,608
Hi everyone, just a question. I'm using AK Rosie balanced on the xdp 30r however I realised that the bass on the left is much more prominent than the right. As I do not have other balanced iems could it be the cables or the player issue? I've tried it to 3.5mm and the drivers works fine so I doubt it's the problem with the drivers.
Well that's no good. That does sound like a real issue with the hardware. Can you submit a warranty claim?

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #1,139 of 1,608
Hi everyone! Can't wait to get my DP-S1.

Can anyone share how sensitive IEMs like UE900S/Andromeda pair up? Is the output impedance ok for the tonality? Is there hiss? Balanced or unbalanced?

Cheers

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #1,140 of 1,608
If it's the plain vanilla code, it's easy to download elsewhere e.g from github. Of course, Pionerr might have patched it beyond recognition.

BTW from the code readme (they seem to be one version ahead of Pioneer)

"This is libsamplerate, 0.1.9

libsamplerate (also known as Secret Rabbit Code) is a library for performing sample rate conversion of audio data."

A little late on my part . .. but there IS a new update to the downloaded files. A quick (VERY QUICK) view suggests it IS purely generic code.

"Dear Kurt,

there was a mismatch between the original file and the file uploaded from my side.
This matter has now been solved.

You can download package-20180329.tar from following link:
https://we.tl/wGTv3tH3Em "

The download link will expire in about 24 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back