Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Mar 17, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #1,036 of 1,608
Cus this one has tidal, i kinda like it. You are right about overkill. But from what i know that better source will give better sound with mojo.
I have the N3 right now and it pairs well with mojo too.
Hello, curious how does the N3 compare to this for 3.5mm? I'm wondering whether to get a XDP-30R used or a new Cayin N3.

Also is the difference between DP-X1 and 30R that huge for sound?

Mar 17, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #1,037 of 1,608
Tough call - I have both the Sony A35 and the DP-30R and they're both great. The Pioneer has two card slots and balanced output which are absent from the Sony. The GUIs are different but I like both. The Sony might have a sight advantage here.

If it's a brick and mortar retailer, why don't you go and play with both, to see how they feel, sound and fit to your taste?

How does the sound of the Pioneer compare to the Sony? I listen to a large mix from classical orchestra tracks to jazz and EDM.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #1,038 of 1,608
In case anyone is interested, this is the reply I got from Pioneer re the open source software mentioned on their site:

we kindly thank you for your interest.

We regret to inform that contrary to the information on the website the XDP-30R firmware does not contain any open source software which has been licensed under GPL or LGPL. By consequence we are not able to offer a machine-readable copy of the source code.

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #1,039 of 1,608
I can't find any other reported problems perhaps I'm jùst unlucky. The player seems to be a bit of a dud so far.

Anyone had volume control problems outside of firmware upgrades ?

I'm going to buy an inline volume control for the headphones and use the line out . I'll at least get some use out the damn thing. Perhaps Pioneer will one day get back to me.

Having decided the volume control failure was unrelated to the firmware upgrade (apologies to Pioneer for doubting them) and hearing nothing from Pioneer support I decided to take the back off the player and take a look. (Its out of warranty.)...

The volume knob was turning the shaft ok but whilst poking around I could see the volume potentiometer (or whatever it is) was moving slightly on it's pcb. By pressing it down lightly the volume control was restored to working order. I guess there's a dry joint or it's come detached. Not wanting to dismantle further (or do any soldering in there !) I placed a small rubber pad on top of the pot so that when I put the back on it would slightly compress the assembly in place. Happy to report this bodge is holding for now.

Now if I could just get my internal memory back.!!!!

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #1,040 of 1,608
Having decided the volume control failure was unrelated to the firmware upgrade (apologies to Pioneer for doubting them) and hearing nothing from Pioneer support I decided to take the back off the player and take a look. (Its out of warranty.)...

The volume knob was turning the shaft ok but whilst poking around I could see the volume potentiometer (or whatever it is) was moving slightly on it's pcb. By pressing it down lightly the volume control was restored to working order. I guess there's a dry joint or it's come detached. Not wanting to dismantle further (or do any soldering in there !) I placed a small rubber pad on top of the pot so that when I put the back on it would slightly compress the assembly in place. Happy to report this bodge is holding for now.

It's a rotary encoder, so there are typically three connections, and maybe one or more for mechanical support. If you know someone who is good with fine soldering they could probably effect a permanent repair, but your method is a good comprimise.

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #1,041 of 1,608

Sounds like you abused the poor player at some point or you just managed to get one where a number of the solder connections weren't done properly during manufacturing. I'd bet that is the reason for the missing memory too.

So even though its out of warranty you could try to reach out to ONKYO and see if they can make things better since it seems that you could make a good argument about defective manufacturing. Won't cost anything to send an email, bits are free after all :ksc75smile:

Mar 21, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #1,042 of 1,608
Different sound signatures. Do s1 is more flat response and analytical. Xdp 30r is more v shaped.

This just isn't so. We're talking the same EXACT hardware, likely including the same circuit board design. They are identical in every way, designed in the same room by the same people. You're paying a $50 Onkyo tax for brand name recognition and association with quality for one of them.

Mar 21, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #1,043 of 1,608
This just isn't so. We're talking the same EXACT hardware, likely including the same circuit board design. They are identical in every way, designed in the same room by the same people. You're paying a $50 Onkyo tax for brand name recognition and association with quality for one of them.
Software can also make a difference in sound. I have no idea if that applies here but you can look through the various players that have a RockBox port and find plenty of comments about how it or the original firmware sound different. Same thing here: same hardware but 2 different company's idea of what their customers will want and hence purchase.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #1,044 of 1,608
Software plays a major part in the overall sound. The pioneer and onkyo have been tuned differently. I have Both, and as far as looks and build are concerned I like the pioneer better but soundwise I prefer the onkyo. I picked up the onkyo and pioneer for 199usd each.

Mar 23, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #1,045 of 1,608
Hey.

I'm thinking of ordering the Pioneer XDP 30r.

I'd be getting it to replace a Pioneer XDP 300r that I've had for just over a month.

That player has been far too glitchy for my liking and I couldn't put up with the intermittent stuttering of tracks via Tidal offline play, which seems to be a known issue.

Anyone who has the 30r experienced anything similar or has this been resolved on the 30r? Does the 30r even do Tidal offline playback?

Is the Tidal MQA update working so you can stream Tidal MQA tracks? Does the Tidal app on this show that it's an MQA encoded album... I think it's an 'M' to indicate it as per the desktop app?

Is there an equalizer on this player and does that equalizer work with Tidal?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #1,046 of 1,608
Hey.

I'm thinking of ordering the Pioneer XDP 30r.

I'd be getting it to replace a Pioneer XDP 300r that I've had for just over a month.

That player has been far too glitchy for my liking and I couldn't put up with the intermittent stuttering of tracks via Tidal offline play, which seems to be a known issue.

Anyone who has the 30r experienced anything similar or has this been resolved on the 30r? Does the 30r even do Tidal offline playback?

Is the Tidal MQA update working so you can stream Tidal MQA tracks? Does the Tidal app on this show that it's an MQA encoded album... I think it's an 'M' to indicate it as per the desktop app?

Is there an equalizer on this player and does that equalizer work with Tidal?

Thanks in advance for your help...

I can't comment on most of your Tidal/MQA questions, but I believe others have mentioned that MQA tracks can be streamed to the 30r. Unfortunately it can't do offline Tidal playback due to it being a custom Linux OS, vs Android that is used on the 300r. There is an equalizer, but I don't know if it works with Tidal.

Mar 23, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #1,047 of 1,608
I can't comment on most of your Tidal/MQA questions, but I believe others have mentioned that MQA tracks can be streamed to the 30r. Unfortunately it can't do offline Tidal playback due to it being a custom Linux OS, vs Android that is used on the 300r. There is an equalizer, but I don't know if it works with Tidal.

Thanks... the lack of offline is a deal breaker for me.

Cheers for confirming that.

Mar 23, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #1,048 of 1,608
Thanks... the lack of offline is a deal breaker for me.

Cheers for confirming that.

Yeah. It was kind of a bummer for me as well, but I figured for the most part I was not using it in a place without WiFi really ever...so it sorta worked out. They really should work out a deal with Tidal to enable it anyway though. It would be a giant killer then.

It does show that it’s playing an MQA file, but it doesn’t show it while browsing, which is also kinda lame.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #1,049 of 1,608
The Tidal issue is a drm/licensing issue. The owners of the content which Tidal licenses to offer want assurances that the music files are just on a device that has a trackable unique serial number mapped to an individual who's info they have. Which is why you're forced to use the Mac or PC desktop app to get downloaded MQA content. That's not to say that Android / Linux systems can't generate a hardware locked serial number too. More likely just that they're known open systems with relatively easier ways to get around that than the Mac or PC ecosystem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back