Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Apr 2, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #1,068 of 1,608
I'm delighted with the $180 deal from Newegg that I paid about 2 weeks ago. Just checked and its sold out. It really is a nice player.

Hi, is the newegg customer service reliable? I'm not from the US but am tempted to ship it at $199 from Newegg through a forwarder.... Also do you think $199 is good value or I should wait? Not in a rush and comparing with the Hiby R3 or Cowon Plenue D.

Having decided the volume control failure was unrelated to the firmware upgrade (apologies to Pioneer for doubting them) and hearing nothing from Pioneer support I decided to take the back off the player and take a look. (Its out of warranty.)...

The volume knob was turning the shaft ok but whilst poking around I could see the volume potentiometer (or whatever it is) was moving slightly on it's pcb. By pressing it down lightly the volume control was restored to working order. I guess there's a dry joint or it's come detached. Not wanting to dismantle further (or do any soldering in there !) I placed a small rubber pad on top of the pot so that when I put the back on it would slightly compress the assembly in place. Happy to report this bodge is holding for now.

Now if I could just get my internal memory back.!!!!
Is the build quality ok? Not sure if I should take the plunge. Is it worth it at $199 new or I should wait for cheaper (no rush). Comparing this with the Hiby R3 or Cowon Plenue D.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #1,070 of 1,608
Hi, is the newegg customer service reliable? I'm not from the US but am tempted to ship it at $199 from Newegg through a forwarder.... Also do you think $199 is good value or I should wait? Not in a rush and comparing with the Hiby R3 or Cowon Plenue D.

Is the build quality ok? Not sure if I should take the plunge. Is it worth it at $199 new or I should wait for cheaper (no rush). Comparing this with the Hiby R3 or Cowon Plenue D.

Thanks!

I've had no issues with build quality and think it's a tough little unit. Physical buttons seem good... but then, I don't abuse it.
The only 'build' complaint I could have is that the 3.5mm jack is not a solid 'click' and the IEM plug can pop out a bit too easily. But that rarely poses an actual problem.

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #1,071 of 1,608
I've had no issues with build quality and think it's a tough little unit. Physical buttons seem good... but then, I don't abuse it.
The only 'build' complaint I could have is that the 3.5mm jack is not a solid 'click' and the IEM plug can pop out a bit too easily. But that rarely poses an actual problem.

I quite like mine from a build standpoint. I put a matte finish screen protector (I had to order it from a German company called "Brotect"; great name :)) and it just makes it look so much better since the unprotected screen has no oleophobic coatings or anything so it can become a smudgy mess and the screen protector they ship with it is impossible to fit on there because it's too large. I also ordered a Japanese cowhide case for mine from a Japanese company called Musashino Label...it was about half the cost of the device itself but it looks beautiful. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Apr 3, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #1,072 of 1,608

I quite like mine from a build standpoint. I put a matte finish screen protector (I had to order it from a German company called "Brotect"; great name :)) and it just makes it look so much better since the unprotected screen has no oleophobic coatings or anything so it can become a smudgy mess and the screen protector they ship with it is impossible to fit on there because it's too large. I also ordered a Japanese cowhide case for mine from a Japanese company called Musashino Label...it was about half the cost of the device itself but it looks beautiful. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Thanks all for your help! I decided to take a plunge on the Onkyo DP-S1 instead of the Hiby R3. I hope I made the right decision trading off supposedly better sound with a larger size, slightly more distortion, less functional UI compared to the Hiby R3 and higher output impedance.

Apr 3, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #1,073 of 1,608
Does anyone here use the Pioneer/Onkyo with sensitive IEMs e.g. campfire Andromeda, Shure SE846, Sony XBA4 or CIEMs?

Wondering if there is much hiss and if the >1ohm output impedance works alright for your IEMs? I am dividing the recommended minimum impedance of 16÷8=2ohms

Also lastly a technical question. Both DACs still drive the unbalanced output, or only one DAC chip?

Thank you!

Apr 3, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #1,075 of 1,608
My XDP-30R sonds fantastic with SE846's vol about the 40 mark:ksc75smile:

Well, you're a bit further north than I am, so I'm usually under 30 with my DP-S1... :wink:
Using several very efficient IEM's. No hiss at the volumes I listen to.

Apr 3, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #1,076 of 1,608

Thanks!

I've used Newgg for years, 15 or more, and never had a problem with them. I've spent several thousands of dollars there - mostly computer components - CPU, GPU, memory, ssd, external drives, etc. My only warning is to look at the listing carefully as they don't offer returns on some of their products. As far as the 30R goes I love mine and use it most every day. I've had to hardwire firmware updates a couple of times - I just put the file on my memory card and did it that way. No idea why it wouldn't do it wirelessly.

Apr 3, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #1,077 of 1,608
My biggest complaint with Newegg is their shipping policy. I'm in upstate NY and their shipping center is in northern NJ. Plain and simple parcel post can get me a package in 2 days. You could pay more for priority mail and it'd still get to me in 2 days. But Newegg has this ultra cheap shipping they call eggsaver where they have a shipping company pick up the package from their shipping center and truck it to a 'nearby' post office which then takes care of the delivery to my house. For some reason I'll never understand the package goes from NJ to CT where the post office takes over and delivers to me. In 7 or 8 days!

I'll second the warning to check the fine print on deal items as they do reduce their cost by not accepting returns on things. Usually stuff that's a close out or EOL lot or the like.

I've gotten a few damaged or bad out of the box items and returns were painless and I know I had a cross shipment done at least once and was promptly credited with the return price.

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #1,078 of 1,608
My XDP-30R sonds fantastic with SE846's vol about the 40 mark:ksc75smile:

Well, you're a bit further north than I am, so I'm usually under 30 with my DP-S1... :wink:
Using several very efficient IEM's. No hiss at the volumes I listen to.

Nice! Good to hear there's no hiss :) Since it also isn't always linked to output impedance from what little I understand.

I've used Newgg for years, 15 or more, and never had a problem with them. I've spent several thousands of dollars there - mostly computer components - CPU, GPU, memory, ssd, external drives, etc. My only warning is to look at the listing carefully as they don't offer returns on some of their products. As far as the 30R goes I love mine and use it most every day. I've had to hardwire firmware updates a couple of times - I just put the file on my memory card and did it that way. No idea why it wouldn't do it wirelessly.

My biggest complaint with Newegg is their shipping policy. I'm in upstate NY and their shipping center is in northern NJ. Plain and simple parcel post can get me a package in 2 days. You could pay more for priority mail and it'd still get to me in 2 days. But Newegg has this ultra cheap shipping they call eggsaver where they have a shipping company pick up the package from their shipping center and truck it to a 'nearby' post office which then takes care of the delivery to my house. For some reason I'll never understand the package goes from NJ to CT where the post office takes over and delivers to me. In 7 or 8 days!

I'll second the warning to check the fine print on deal items as they do reduce their cost by not accepting returns on things. Usually stuff that's a close out or EOL lot or the like.

I've gotten a few damaged or bad out of the box items and returns were painless and I know I had a cross shipment done at least once and was promptly credited with the return price.

Thanks for the advice! From what I see there is a return policy by the seller on Newegg (electronics expo). I used PayPal so in the worst case I'll use PayPal to help with a refund.

Does anyone know if Onkyo is intending to introduce Spotify? Free Spotify works on my V20 and it has been fun running Spotify on a better player :)

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #1,079 of 1,608
I put a matte finish screen protector (I had to order it from a German company called "Brotect"; great name :)) and it just makes it look so much better

Is it a Pioneer or Onkyo that you have? I wonder if this screen protector could be used on the Onkyo even if it says it's for the Pioneer. Does anyone know if the screens of the both are the same?

Apr 4, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #1,080 of 1,608
Is it a Pioneer or Onkyo that you have? I wonder if this screen protector could be used on the Onkyo even if it says it's for the Pioneer. Does anyone know if the screens of the both are the same?
They are identical screens :). I have the Onkyo and I put protectors for the Pioneer on it. Even says on the packaging materials of the protectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back