Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Mar 10, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #1,022 of 1,608
Thanks for the reply. This is a bricks and mortar retailer, so I'll see if they'll be happy for me to the Onkyo/Pioneer side my side with DX50. They don't stock the Sony A45 though. At the "sale" price, the Pioneer is just £20 more than the Sony, but at the original price of over £300, the Pioneer would have been close to twice the price of the Sony. For that, I would expect quite a bit more, but maybe this can be put down to the Sony A45 being exceptional value for money!

If you have access to the A30 series, it is said to be the same sound as the A4x series

Mar 10, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #1,023 of 1,608
WARNING

I installed the latest firmware (Version 1.21/18223AEP) on my 30R yesterday in the hope it would fix the internal memory problems I have been having. (See earlier in the thread.) However after the firmware installed my Volume control no longer works.

The now familiar reset to factory settings did not help. My expensive Dap is now pretty much useless.

Anyone had similar problems ?

I won't be buying Pioneer again that's for sure.

(Edit - The volume limiter setting in the audio menu does not work either. The firmware release notes talk about changes made in this area. I think they messed up)

I finally had a reply from Pioneer support regarding my internal drive 9 weeks after I posted the problem - thier response ?: "We are very busy , if you still have the problem please resubmit the ticket" ******

I can't find any other reported problems perhaps I'm jùst unlucky. The player seems to be a bit of a dud so far.

Anyone had volume control problems outside of firmware upgrades ?

I'm going to buy an inline volume control for the headphones and use the line out . I'll at least get some use out the damn thing. Perhaps Pioneer will one day get back to me.

Mar 10, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #1,024 of 1,608
I can't find any other reported problems perhaps I'm jùst unlucky. The player seems to be a bit of a dud so far.

Anyone had volume control problems outside of firmware upgrades ?

I'm going to buy an inline volume control for the headphones and use the line out . I'll at least get some use out the damn thing. Perhaps Pioneer will one day get back to me.
I wonder if there is a physical reset button. Most players have such and I thought I remembered reading that in the instructions but I was also reading other players instructions so I could be wrong. If you want to take the effort to remove what you've put on the internal memory and save it to your PC you could try this reset function in settings and then just install the latest update again. I'd sure try that before trying to find an external volume controller.

Mar 10, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #1,025 of 1,608
I wonder if there is a physical reset button. Most players have such and I thought I remembered reading that in the instructions but I was also reading other players instructions so I could be wrong. If you want to take the effort to remove what you've put on the internal memory and save it to your PC you could try this reset function in settings and then just install the latest update again. I'd sure try that before trying to find an external volume controller.

My internal memory is so @@@@@ that even "reset to factory settings" does not not wipe the memory like the manual says it will. (See my comments earlier in the thread ) Further that option does not revert the firmware so you're stuck with whatever version you are on. Thanks for the thought though,

Mar 10, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #1,026 of 1,608
My internal memory is so @@@@@ that even "reset to factory settings" does not not wipe the memory like the manual says it will. (See my comments earlier in the thread ) Further that option does not revert the firmware so you're stuck with whatever version you are on. Thanks for the thought though,
Why not get am RA # and return it I'm sure Pioneer will repair it or send you a new one.

Mar 12, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #1,030 of 1,608
thanks

for classical and wide soundage what recommand?
Dp s1. My other dap besides the xdp30r is the kann. The kann is just fantastic and what I would truly recommend to a music lover. But its pricey and bulky. Ultimately the onkyo and pioneer are 'digital' in comparison. BUT having said that, @200 usd they are a bargain.

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #1,032 of 1,608
I'm delighted with the $180 deal from Newegg that I paid about 2 weeks ago. Just checked and its sold out. It really is a nice player.

Great price, and I agree. This is my EDC. To and from work commute player. Reading in bed player. Great sound and features. Very food UI.

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #1,033 of 1,608
Now that I've had the player long enough to decide to play a bit with it I have a Tidal and MQA question. According to the Tidal site and its help files I must log in with a desktop version (hah! I don't even own a desktop, haven't for years) of their playing program. I assume that I'm allowed to use that desktop software on my laptop, at least I sure hope so or Tidal is really gonna be missing most of their potential customers. Then I make sure I have the 'better' Tidal subscription, I think its called HiFi? I can then update my account to the extra special MQA via Tidal Masters version of my account which currently won't cost me anything extra. All well and good so far, I can dust off my MacBook Pro or whatever Dull I have around here, in fact I could probably run the desktop program on my Dull Windows 10 tablet. I can upgrade my account. But now I'm stuck. Tidal says that I can only listen to these super secret almost as much as super double secret probation MQA files only through the desktop program, according to Tidal.

So what am I missing here because I know, I've searched the thread, and have seen plenty of posts about listening to Tidal MQA files through their player. I have managed to get Tidal working. I had to change my password from the 18 random characters, numbers and symbols that my password manager created into something short and memorable because it seems about every other time I try to use Tidal I get an error that the username or password is wrong and I have to reenter the info, hence the password change. But I see nothing there that leads me to even believe that MQA is an option. And it doesn't help that Tidal's help says desktop program only. (I won't ask what they have against portable devices)

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #1,034 of 1,608
The first Jap series of the DP-S1's UI seems to be self destructing, now for awhile I'm unable to connect to the Wifi for no apparent reason. It worked flawlessly until recently, and now it simply fails to connect, I have to re-enter the router's password several times, before I finally get a connection. Same router, nothing changed and all of my devices connect without any issues. I have to assume something must have gotten corrupted, a reset did not resolve it. I have the feeling the trash bin will bring the final solution, feeling fed up with this useless garbage. I guess "getting what you paid for" holds true here, time for the DP-X1A.

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #1,035 of 1,608
The first Jap series of the DP-S1's UI seems to be self destructing, now for awhile I'm unable to connect to the Wifi for no apparent reason. It worked flawlessly until recently, and now it simply fails to connect, I have to re-enter the router's password several times, before I finally get a connection. Same router, nothing changed and all of my devices connect without any issues. I have to assume something must have gotten corrupted, a reset did not resolve it. I have the feeling the trash bin will bring the final solution, feeling fed up with this useless garbage. I guess "getting what you paid for" holds true here, time for the DP-X1A.
Try rebooting your router.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back