Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Mar 5, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #992 of 1,608
Is DP-S1 worth to buy ? Im looking a for a small dap to be a backup one and use to stack with mojo. I saw this one one sale on Newegg for $180.
It's a great unit for the price, but it might be overkill for you if you are planning to stack it with a Mojo, since you'd be loosing the benefits of the dual 9018 DAC's and balanced out. It might make more sense for you to get a Hidiz AP60 for under $100 on Ali Express..
Edit: The above might be for an older model.. the AP60 II is $130 on Amazon.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #993 of 1,608
It's a great unit for the price, but it might be overkill for you if you are planning to stack it with a Mojo, since you'd be loosing the benefits of the dual 9018 DAC's and balanced out. It might make more sense for you to get a Hidiz AP60 for under $100 on Ali Express..
Edit: The above might be for an older model.. the AP60 II is $130 on Amazon.
Cus this one has tidal, i kinda like it. You are right about overkill. But from what i know that better source will give better sound with mojo.
I have the N3 right now and it pairs well with mojo too.

Mar 5, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #994 of 1,608
Cus this one has tidal, i kinda like it. You are right about overkill. But from what i know that better source will give better sound with mojo.
I have the N3 right now and it pairs well with mojo too.
True, Tidal is a bonus for sure. One caveat though, since this is a Linux based player (vs Android), the license for Tidal does not allow downloads for offline use.

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #995 of 1,608
OK... here's an oddity.
DP-S1. M3u playlist. Every time I pause it and shut it off, on any song in that playlist... when I turn it back on, it starts the playlist from the top... first song.

Is everyone else having the same 'issue'?

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #997 of 1,608
Mine just arrived this evening so I'm just playing with it at the moment and no really serious listening yet. Tidal was very easy to setup as was WiFi once I realized that I could have it display the text I was inputting. That 90's flip phone entry method isn't the best choice but it isn't completely awful. Just finished tossing random flac files I had handy and a few mp3 onto the internal memory. I'll try to decide what higher res files to try.

But from the quick listen and playing about it feels like a well spent $180 for the player.

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #998 of 1,608
Is there an option for the xdp30r to play thru folder?
Are you asking if there is an option to move on to the next folder (alphabetically I assume) once the last song in a given folder is played? If so I'd like to know that too.

Until another player I purchased had that as an explicit setting I always thought that was how any player would work. Only to find that when using folder view most players stopped at the last song in a folder. Now if I was playing via tags and was choosing an album I'd expect that. But in my mind playing by file selection is different but it seems that for many players it isn't.

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #1,000 of 1,608
Hello

There is a new firmware for this players, I am just trying it,

Version 1.21/18223AEP - Changed Short cut button for Hi-bit 32 and Upsampling on home screen - Added actual volume values to volume limiter setting - Disable screen turning on from volume knob operation during HOLD setting - Re-sort compilation albums as “V.A.” (Various Artists) - Improved automatic switching when connected to USB DAC devices - Security function improvements - Overall stability improvements

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #1,002 of 1,608
Hello

There is a new firmware for this players, I am just trying it,

Version 1.21/18223AEP - Changed Short cut button for Hi-bit 32 and Upsampling on home screen - Added actual volume values to volume limiter setting - Disable screen turning on from volume knob operation during HOLD setting - Re-sort compilation albums as “V.A.” (Various Artists) - Improved automatic switching when connected to USB DAC devices - Security function improvements - Overall stability improvements

Thanks. To be honest, I'm quite impressed that Onkyo are still pushing out updates. I updated my DP-S1 just now - turned on the WiFi and the update was seen almost immediately. It took a couple of minutes followed by a rescan of the files to rebuild the database which took anoth three or four minutes. All good so far.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #1,004 of 1,608
I upgraded it through WIFI, up to now it works ok, I will try it with my Mojo and my iFi DSD Black, to check the USB output

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #1,005 of 1,608
Scrolling feels improved with the new update. I have two 400 gb cards packed to the brim with hi res and dsd files and now the albums list with artwork shows up with less of a delay. Previously there would be a larger time gap between the pressing of the 'album' field and the opening of the list.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back