Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Feb 6, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #961 of 1,608
I have read in this forum that some people have trouble getting both microsd card slots to show up when connected to a computer. Has this issue been fixed? Also 15 hours battery life is decent but I have read the battery drains really fast.

My cards were shown in my computer but I agree with you about the battery, it drains really fast.

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #962 of 1,608
I have read in this forum that some people have trouble getting both microsd card slots to show up when connected to a computer. Has this issue been fixed? Also 15 hours battery life is decent but I have read the battery drains really fast.
To be honest, I have never had any issues with my PC seeing both cards. However, transfer to the cards when inserted in the player is slow. For anything except small updates I prefer to unmount the cards (in the settings) and then update using an external card reader with a tool such as FreeFileSync. Battery life for me is fine.

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #963 of 1,608
I lived in the Us for 10 years and the hardest part about moving back to Canada was adjusting to higher prices again.

So with your tube amp setup are you going LO or HO out to the amp?

I guess the only reasons I am reluctant to get the 30R over the A45 are reduced battery life and the fact it has features I don't need and no AptX support. I have no interest in wifi for streaming audio and I don't have any balanced headphones. I do have a couple of AptX capable bluetooth speakers so it would be nice to have that support.

Pluses for the 30R for me
- Dual microsd card slots
- more power

Pluses for the A45
- roughly double the battery life
- Support for AptX and AptX HD
- larger higher resolution touchscreen

I have big hands and I am concerned also that the small touchscreen on the 30R will be a hassle to use. I found the touchscreen on the A35/A45 just big enough to be usable at 3.1 inches so the 2.4 inch screen on the 30R might not suit me not to mention the lower resolution. I am hoping to demo the 30R this weekend. I have read in this forum that some people have trouble getting both microsd card slots to show up when connected to a computer. Has this issue been fixed? Also 15 hours battery life is decent but I have read the battery drains really fast.

I have the XDP-30r set to "Normal" gain, which I presume is closest to unity gain for a line out device. The amp itself (Valhalla 2) is set for High Gain, as the headphones are 300 ohm. I have not had any problems navigating the screen and in fact find it quite responsive. At this point I have only one card in slot one, so I don't know if there is an issue with the second card. I should test that! Lack of Mac OSX support is the only negative I can think of at the moment.

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #965 of 1,608
I'm a Canadian as well, and one of the reasons I jumped on the XDP-30R from avgearshop (via Amazon) was that for once the exchange rate adjusted price of $249 CAN was just about right in comparison to the US price. Having worked in pro audio for many years, I have seen how outrageous some of the markups are for certain products once they cross the border. BTW, I'm quite pleased with the player. I'm using it as a transport for a tube amp/ headphone setup and It sounds noticeably better than the Ipod Classic I was using. The only negative I would give is the more or less non-existent Mac/ itunes support.

The XDP-30R is my first real Hi Def player, and I'm enjoying it so far as well. I was excited about the possibility of using the Wifi capability for Tidal(no account yet..), and I am loving the ability to listen to CBC Radio 2 via TuneIn @16Bit/44.1K, while on our winter getaway in Costa Rica. The Wifi was a bit doggy at home, but I put that down to the crowded Wifi spectrum where I live, since it is solid here (on 5Ghz I think). I want to try balanced out, and will order a set of "budget" chinese IEMS with mcx connectors since there are plenty of deals on balanced cables terminated with mcx. I want someone to make some reasonably priced 2 pin balanced cable that I can try with the KZ iems I currently have, but so far they are all stupid expensive (I'm not paying $100 for cables for a pair of $30 IEMS..)

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #967 of 1,608
The XDP-30R is my first real Hi Def player, and I'm enjoying it so far as well. I was excited about the possibility of using the Wifi capability for Tidal(no account yet..), and I am loving the ability to listen to CBC Radio 2 via TuneIn @16Bit/44.1K, while on our winter getaway in Costa Rica. The Wifi was a bit doggy at home, but I put that down to the crowded Wifi spectrum where I live, since it is solid here (on 5Ghz I think). I want to try balanced out, and will order a set of "budget" chinese IEMS with mcx connectors since there are plenty of deals on balanced cables terminated with mcx. I want someone to make some reasonably priced 2 pin balanced cable that I can try with the KZ iems I currently have, but so far they are all stupid expensive (I'm not paying $100 for cables for a pair of $30 IEMS..)

I bought Fiio's RC-MMCX2B (http://www.fiio.net/en/products/78) from Fiio store thru Taobao. It costs ~US$14 (shipped) and much cheaper than RC-SE1B. Build quality is decent. The wire is rather thin and flexible, with ear hook, and almost no microphonics. I had it for two weeks, so far so good. It should give you an entry to the balanced world. .

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #968 of 1,608
OK, I had a 32 gig microSD card kicking around, so I popped it into slot 2, formatted it and the Mac shows both cards and the internal storage on the desktop.

My understanding both slots not showing up was reported very early on so it may have been addressed. I only saw comments in reference to connecting to a PC not sure it was ever an issue with MAC.

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #969 of 1,608
Don't waste your money on a test! Balanced output is nicer and worth paying for. Get some nice IEMs (2 pin or MMCX) and buy FIIO balanced cable or wait for another drop at Massdrop. Highly recommended!

I have ear issues and can't use iem's and I haven't found any headphones with balanced output in my price range that are comfortable to wear. My go to headphones are B&W P5S2's and they are the best sounding and most comfortable headphones I have owned. I have investigated getting a balanced setup for my P5S2's but not willing to pay the high price quoted to me. I will stick with SE headphones and get the best DAP match for my headphones.

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #970 of 1,608
Have had both slots filled the entire time I've owned my DP-S1. Different sizes... 64, 128, 256 GB. Never had an issue with either slot.

Feb 9, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #971 of 1,608
Have any Mac users successfully imported playlists onto this device? According to the manual I should be able to import M3U and M3U8 (which I can create with Itunes and JRiver) files that will work and although the player sees them and starts to import them I get "an error occurred" message and the import stops.

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #972 of 1,608
In JRiver... are you saving the M3u to the root directory?
I use a PC for this, and it's flawless. There is a checkbox (in the PC version) immediately under the 'save-to' line that asks to preserve the destinations (something... this is from memory, and mine is bad). Is that box selected?

Good luck.

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #974 of 1,608
Still on sale and going down...I'm also decided the only issue, is the lack of DLNA streaming. Is there any hope they add the feature? A year ago and some firmwares, if not add I'm afraid these feature will be only for android models. What do you think?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #975 of 1,608
Still on sale and going down...I'm also decided the only issue, is the lack of DLNA streaming. Is there any hope they add the feature? A year ago and some firmwares, if not add I'm afraid these feature will be only for android models. What do you think?
I see no chance that DLNA would be added. It's not trivial to add, espcially if it includes a DLNA controller as well as a renderer (which it really would need to have), and it places extra demands on the WiFi reliabilty which is already not as good as it really should be. If you need DLNA I would look elswhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back